Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

To what extent does carbon protect you against impact?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 06:15 PM
FranckCisco
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen a lot of crash commercials where they crash a car against a wall to observe damage to the robotic dummies. Supposedly, the dummies have sensors that record equivalent biophysiological impact if the dummies were human. Usually, in slow motion, before the wave force of impact hits the dummies, you see the front of the car crumbles slowly until car is completely crushed like a soda can.

I wonder if a steel bike is better at slowing the wave force (for lack of better term) before the rider is affected. Since carbon breaks easily, can I assume that the rider will be more injurious if he rides carbon vs. steel or some other more impact resistant material? I guess my question is: which material provides a better buffer zone against impact, resulting in less serious injury to the rider upon an accident?
Old 05-28-07, 06:17 PM
Brycycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you are getting in an accident of that force, where your frame material "crumbles", you are in a lot of trouble whether it is steel or carbon or ....
Old 05-28-07, 06:18 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FranckCisco
I wonder if a steel bike is better at slowing the wave force (for lack of better term) before the rider is affected. Since carbon breaks easily, can I assume that the rider will be more injurious if he rides carbon vs. steel or some other more impact resistant material? I guess my question is: which material provides a better buffer zone against impact, resulting in less serious injury to the rider upon an accident?
Um, we're not talking about cars here. There is nothing protective about a bike frame in a crash, so there's really no reason to buy one over the other for crash safety. If you strike something with frame-breaking force, you'll still be an underwear-clad rag doll flying through the air.
Old 05-28-07, 06:20 PM
vpiuva

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Uhh, my body is on the outside of my frame, so I'm not sure it's affording me much crumple zone protection unless hit head on in which case I'm probably flying anyway.
Old 05-28-07, 06:21 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Um, we're not talking about cars here. There is nothing protective about a bike frame in a crash, so there's really no reason to buy one over the other for crash safety. If you strike something with frame-breaking force, you'll still be an underwear-clad rag doll flying through the air.
Indeed. That said...and i'll keep this simple and short:

old cars=steel death traps
new cars=aluminum crumple zones
open wheel race cars look horrid when they wreck, and it is by design.
Old 05-28-07, 06:22 PM
FranckCisco
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point, I'll try to buy a slightly bigger bike when I finally pull the trigger at the LBS. More buffer zone.

Originally Posted by vpiuva
Uhh, my body is on the outside of my frame, so I'm not sure it's affording me much crumple zone protection unless hit head on in which case I'm probably flying anyway.
Old 05-28-07, 06:23 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Um, we're not talking about cars here.
And if we were, we'd notice that open wheel race cars use carbon fiber to absorb the energy in a crash just as steel, aluminum, or even carbon fiber does in pasenger cars.
Old 05-28-07, 06:23 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Good point, I'll try to buy a slightly bigger bike when I finally pull the trigger at the LBS. More buffer zone.
Uh, no. Buy the one that fits you, so you can actually maneuver it effectively.

If you think a bigger frame is safer you're deluding yourself. Wear a helmet, and above all learn how to ride smart.
Old 05-28-07, 06:28 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
I want to know what "injurious" means.
Anyway, if any part of your bike crumbles, you're basically screwed. Some part of you is going to break if you're unlucky enough to remain on the bike.
Old 05-28-07, 06:33 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whatever happened to those Nerf Bikes?
Old 05-28-07, 09:06 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen a lot of crash commercials where they crash a car against a wall to observe damage to the robotic dummies. Supposedly, the dummies have sensors that record equivalent biophysiological impact if the dummies were human. Usually, in slow motion, before the wave force of impact hits the dummies, you see the front of the car crumbles slowly until car is completely crushed like a soda can.

If you are looking to absorb crash energy, deformable structures are better than rigid ones, so carbon would absorb more energy.

Which probably means absolutely nothing in a bike crash. First of all, any energy absorption is going to slow down the bike a bit but do nothing to slow down the rider. Second, most people end up off their bikes in crashes.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 05-28-07, 09:10 PM
trackstar10
elite

Bikes: track, road, cross, fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carbon fiber is expensive stuff that breaks.
Old 05-28-07, 09:12 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
And if we were, we'd notice that open wheel race cars use carbon fiber to absorb the energy in a crash just as steel, aluminum, or even carbon fiber does in pasenger cars.

but we aren't, so the crashworthiness of an open-wheel tub has nothing to do with a bicycle crash. there is no comparison.
Old 05-28-07, 10:09 PM
Rocke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your entire premise is wrong.
Any rider of imagination would put the dummies over the bike to see what position best saves the machine from serious injury. I will heal given enough time… Broken Carbon is forever! Blessings.
Old 05-28-07, 11:51 PM
Volfy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To understand whether carbon fiber is any better or worse than other materials in impact energy absorption, one much first understand each material's stress vs. strain curve and its failure mode.

Steel: has a very long linear section on its stress vs. strain curve, which denotes it's excellent elasstic deformation characteristics. This simply means steel "springs" back to its orginal shape even when it's subjected to fairly large stresses.

Aluminum: has a much shorter linear section, which is why it is seldom used as material for springs.

Most common structural metal alloys, however, behave similarly beyond their individual maximum elastic limits - they all are able to withstand quite substantial additional stresses, during which they deform more and permanently, before reaching their ultimate strength or "yield strength", beyond which they fail relatively quickly and completely.

This common characteristic is why most metal protective structures (e.g. cars) are design to absorb impact energy by plastic deformation (i.e. the crumple zones). Metals are said to absorb energy by deformation.

Composite structures can also be formulated to have good elastic deformation. Fiberglass, for example, can be be quite flexible. Carbon fiber OTOH has far greater strength than FG but it is very very rigid. This means that CF has a sharply rising stress vs. strain linear curve, but its yield strength is almost the same as its elastic tensile strength.

What this means in English is that CF doesn't bend much - even when subjected to extremely high forces - but when it does finally fail, it fails very abruptly and very catastrophically, absorbing great amounts of energy in the failure process. Thus CF is said to absorb energy by failure.

This is why you see the carbon fiber tubs in F-1 cars. These ultra high performance cars carry such high impact velocities that the amount of metal crumple zones required to withstand a typical race crash would be impractical. Only a CF tub has any hope of saving the driver's live in a severe impact. Notice I say "saving the driver life" because again CF absorbs energy by failure, so the tub MUST fail to some degree in order to lessen the impact transmitted to the driver. This is why F-1 driver often still suffer serious injuries to their bodies, particularly their extremeties. But at least some of them survive. That's the point.

Okay, what does this means to us, the cyclists who ride CF? Well, it's bad news. Because CF must fail to absorb energy, we don't get a bent fork and twisted frame and still keep our sunny side up... if only for a split second before getting us dumped over. With CF, we get a sudden "POP" and there might be 7 CF shards sticking out of maybe 3 separated sections of what used to be a compete bicycle - ready to impale us.

Okay, okay, so I exagerate a little. Point is, if you crash against anything bigger than a racoon, odds are typically not in your favor, regarless of what materials(s) make up your frame.

I, for one, just bought a carbon bike, even though I'm an ME and know all about structural failure modes. I choose not to run my life by what bad things might happen. Having a family to support does cut out some high risk activities these days, but bicycle riding is still a relatively safe sport. So in my book, the health benefits far outweight the possible risks. And to me, the ride quality of a carbon bike that I will enjoy every time I go ride more than justifies it's scarily sounding failure mode. I will just have to focus on accident avoidance, rather than accident survival.

That is why I value a fine handling car, rather than a battle tank. It's also why I think great performance tires and performance driving training are just as important, if not more so, than all the wizbang ABS and TCS computerized butt-savers.

Still, I would definitely favor a nice and stout carbon frame with lots of meat over the ultimate weight weenie.

Your failure mode may vary.

Last edited by Volfy; 05-29-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 12:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Bigger bike or not ... there is NO buffer zone with a bicycle. I've crashed a fair amount in my time, and every single time I've fallen sideways. There's no bicycle on either side of you ... just the pavement.

Even the people I've seen hit something dead on fly forward, off the bicycle, over the handlebars. It doesn't matter what size the bicycle is or what it is made out of ... they all land on the pavement in front of the bicycle in those situations.

Better to get a bicycle that fits you so you can handle it and a well-fitting helmet than to depend on the bicycle to take the impact.
Old 05-29-07, 12:22 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could build yourself one of these out of CF and design it to crush on impact. but it could get pricey.
Old 05-29-07, 12:57 AM
urodacus
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
there is absolutely no point looking at car crash designs as the rider in a bike accident is not attached to the bike and forces on the bike have absolutely zero to do with the rider.

In a car crash, the person is (supposedly) attached to the car by a harness or seat belt. the best crash protection in a car means almost zip if you are not strapped in: you hit the window while travelling at the same speed as your crash occurred, regardless of any slowing down of the car by engineered crumple zones, etc. you cannot strap yourself in to a bike!

BMW were looking at this for motorcyclists, BTW. And after several years, they gave up. The best that anyone has come up with for riders of motorbikes (and it would work for cyclists too) is an airbag system that inflates and protects the head and neck if you are separated from the motorbike suddenly. It's probably a bit hot to cycle with one of those helmets and jackets on.
Old 05-29-07, 02:15 AM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
Whatever happened to those Nerf Bikes?
+1. Nerf rules.
Old 05-29-07, 03:08 AM
Endox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A CF bike might afford you better protection in those less common crashes where you're falling directly downwards with the bike below you, such as riding slowly off a 90ft cliff.

Last edited by Endox; 05-29-07 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 03:47 AM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
But carbon fiber bikes can be so light you can bunny hop anything... even trucks, traffic, or the Grand Canyon.

Just don't land wrong or they'll explode.

Az
Old 05-29-07, 03:56 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your head is usually your "crumple zone" wear a lid.

Here is a secret photo of carbon bike collision testing:

Old 05-29-07, 03:57 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

If you have a carbon fiber shell around your entire body it might help. Otherwise if you Tbone anything with your bicycle, be sure your Last Will is filed with your attorney.
Old 05-29-07, 03:59 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
If you have a carbon fiber shell around your entire body it might help. Otherwise if you Tbone anything with your bicycle, be sure your Last Will is filed with your attorney.
Yeah, ask Marco Andretti.

...and he walked away.....
Old 05-29-07, 04:30 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts

I wonder if a steel bike is better at slowing the wave force (for lack of better term) before the rider is affected. Since carbon breaks easily, can I assume that the rider will be more injurious if he rides carbon vs. steel or some other more impact resistant material?
I guess my question is: which material provides a better buffer zone against impact, resulting in less serious injury to the rider upon an accident?
grey matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.