Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much would avg speed mph would be lost if a trained cyclist used platform pedals?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much would avg speed mph would be lost if a trained cyclist used platform pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 07:54 AM
ac29593

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I ride with platform pedals. From my experience, since I tried both just dont like clipless for personal reasons, I think that for short distances there is most likely no difference at all for the average cyclist. Flat, hills, sprints, whatever, if its just a few miles no big deal. I dont think you will notice much difference at all. That being said, with platforms you will get tired much quicker and over the long haul be at a total disadvantage. I think the difference will be like night and day.
Old 06-12-07, 08:08 AM
ivegotabike
Seek the Joy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a city enviorment im betting that a lawabiding cyclists average speed may actualy stay almost the same, especialy if they arent a clipping in ninja. Platform pedals let you be faster off the line at stoplights.
Old 06-12-07, 08:13 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my Winter Commutes in deep snow I switch to platforms, it was much slower and harder climbing the Broadway Bridge duringt my commute.

I was never so happy to get the clipless SPD's back on when spring thaw hit.
Old 06-12-07, 08:13 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The correct answer is pie. Thank you, I will add my normal service charge to your account.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-12-07, 08:14 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ivegotabike
In a city enviorment im betting that a lawabiding cyclists average speed may actualy stay almost the same, especialy if they arent a clipping in ninja. Platform pedals let you be faster off the line at stoplights.
I won 50 bucks from a messenger who made that claim once.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-12-07, 08:31 AM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got your no clipping without losing stiffness stats - went on a ride with the wrong shoes (brought the SPDs instead of the Times)

Cost me about 3mph over 2 hours.
Old 07-25-11, 05:20 PM
dman-ebike
Bicyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride for fun and drop 99% people riding clipless on platforms.

A smart pedaller chooses his platform pedals and shoes wisely. A dumb pedaller remains dumb.

Last edited by dman-ebike; 07-25-11 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 06:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked 9,149 Times in 4,244 Posts
Originally Posted by dman-ebike
And you are resurrecting a 4 year old thread to tell us this?!?
Old 07-25-11, 06:10 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm guessing up to 10% but less than 5% average.
Old 07-25-11, 06:37 PM
wi.flash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dman-ebike
WOW. That was definitely worth bringing back a 4 year old thread. Do you have data to prove this. There has to be a reason you brought this thread back?
Old 07-25-11, 09:40 PM
iheartbenben

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
I forgot my shoes for my hill repeats last week, and ended up about 20% slower: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=307060
Did you forget your bike also? How about your head? Can your bike, yah know, turn around?

Old 07-25-11, 10:32 PM
godshammgod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iheartbenben
Did you forget your bike also? How about your head? Can your bike, yah know, turn around?

Reading comprehension is a good thing:

(I had 3 coworkers with me in the car, and couldn't turn around for this short lunch ride).
Old 07-25-11, 10:54 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting subject, even if it is an old thread.

I would say the loss is almost undetectable. Think about it -- any energy "lost" due to using platform pedals must be converted into a different form. What form is that? The best answer is heat. And if you've ever felt platform pedals after riding them, unless they're made of springs, they're not heating up much. (Granted, there's heat capacity and other stuff to take into consideration, but my hypothesis is that if this sort of thing was actually tested, it would be negligible).
Old 07-26-11, 06:41 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1
Interesting subject, even if it is an old thread.

I would say the loss is almost undetectable.
I disagree 10000000%. Anyone who has rode substantial miles (years) in clipless and then tried to ride platforms can tell you this, me included (as well as several posters above). You lose a noticeable amount of power, speed, and endurance by not being able to pull up. You don't gain more "push down" power when you lose "pull up" capability.

The reverse is not necessarily true. If you only rode platforms, and then switch to clipless, you will probably not notice much improvement initially because you have not trained on clipless and your legs are not used to pulling.
Old 07-26-11, 06:46 AM
khosch
khosch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sir Real
+1
Old 07-26-11, 07:24 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Is it possible that riding with platforms involves techniques and skills that become rusty when someone has used clipless for years?
Old 07-26-11, 08:30 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Is it possible that riding with platforms involves techniques and skills that become rusty when someone has used clipless for years?
The ability to vary your foot position does not even come close to equaling the power gained by being clipped in.

Other than being able to move your foot on the pedal, you'd have to be more specific about what type of platform pedal specific "techniques and skills" you are referring to.

There is/was a reason people use/used toe straps with their platforms.
Old 07-26-11, 10:39 AM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
I disagree 10000000%. Anyone who has rode substantial miles (years) in clipless and then tried to ride platforms can tell you this, me included (as well as several posters above). You lose a noticeable amount of power, speed, and endurance by not being able to pull up. You don't gain more "push down" power when you lose "pull up" capability.

The reverse is not necessarily true. If you only rode platforms, and then switch to clipless, you will probably not notice much improvement initially because you have not trained on clipless and your legs are not used to pulling.
Except the majority don't pull up on the pedals. I don't know your specific pedaling style so maybe what you are saying is true for you, but for most people:

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejour...s-2008-1038374
Old 07-26-11, 11:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Other than being able to move your foot on the pedal, you'd have to be more specific about what type of platform pedal specific "techniques and skills" you are referring to.
I asked in general if it were possible that there were skills and techniques, so it feels like you're requesting I answer my own question. But if you just want me to throw some possibles out, there are a few. The most obvious is keeping your foot planted on the pedal. Other things which spring to mind are a smooth pedal cycle, adjusting foot position for different situations, extending the power cycle through more of the circle. Keeping connected but with a lighter touch on the upstroke. Possibly other things which I haven't thought of. I just turn the pedals - that's why I asked.

Yet there are still questions and divided opinions.
Old 07-26-11, 11:37 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
average speed youre probably not losting much if anything...difference is the type of power output...with platform pedals you are primarily pedaling downward only...with clipless you are making almost an entire circle. It's a different kind of cycling to me altogether. When i switched i noticed my climbs and sprints improving because I was constantly transferring more power than i was on platforms with cages.
Old 07-26-11, 11:48 AM
tanguy frame

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
for people who bedal forward and back instead of up and down, I'd say 50%
Old 07-26-11, 11:55 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ivegotabike
Platform pedals let you be faster off the line at stoplights.
Compared to newbie nitwits, maybe ... but an experienced cyclist will clip in without noticing it equally fast to you putting you foot on the pedal and then centering it.
After that ... the experienced cyclist will use just a little extra upstroke power and blast away ... you won't see him again
Old 07-26-11, 11:59 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I asked in general if it were possible that there were skills and techniques, so it feels like you're requesting I answer my own question. But if you just want me to throw some possibles out, there are a few. The most obvious is keeping your foot planted on the pedal. Other things which spring to mind are a smooth pedal cycle, adjusting foot position for different situations, extending the power cycle through more of the circle. Keeping connected but with a lighter touch on the upstroke. Possibly other things which I haven't thought of. I just turn the pedals - that's why I asked.

I'm not really sure what you're saying. Let's go back a bit.

Are you (and Runner1) saying that there is no benefit from using clipless pedals over platforms?

Cuz all I'm saying is that there is.
Old 07-26-11, 11:59 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The ability to vary your foot position does not even come close to equaling the power gained by being clipped in.

What you say is supposed common knowledge but it isn't true.
It's an urban legend.

Read this: https://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/...dal-Stroke.pdf
Old 07-26-11, 12:02 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you (and Runner1) saying that there is no benefit from using clipless pedals over platforms?
Yes, I'm saying in terms of transferring your biomechanical power into motion, there is no benefit of using clipless pedals over platform pedals. I cited one study supporting this view, although I'm open to the possibility of being proven wrong if there are more accurate studies or better evidence.

There are other benefits though including:

-Comfort
-Float
-Ability to not accidentally slide off the pedal while sprinting or going downhill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.