Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bianchi C2C (Via Nirone)..experience?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 12:50 PM
saga77039

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any of you guys either have one of these or test ridden one of these?? Im thinking about picking up a Via Nirone in the next month or so and wanted to get some opinions on it.

I like the look of the Via Nirone's. It would probably be the Sora model. Im also looking into a Scott Speedster S50 or a Specialized Allez (Sora equipped).

thanks..
Old 10-28-06, 01:49 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I hear the Via Nirone is a sweet ride. Still..

I don't have experience with the frame, but I've owned a bike with Sora components. My overall experience with em was pretty underwhelming. Overall, the Via Nirone 7 Sora for $799 MSRP isn't the greatest deal out there. Look around at perhaps the closeout 06 models for some killer prices.
Old 10-28-06, 06:28 PM
saga77039

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think will probably upgrade some of the sora drivetrain to 105 later on...right now i just want to train on it. if i ever feel the need to do anything more..then i will upgrade to 105....if and when..
Old 10-29-06, 04:49 PM
saga77039

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone else??
Old 10-30-06, 08:07 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an '05 Via Nirone 7 and love it. Never did run the bike stock, It came with 9 speed mirage components switched out 10 speed veloce Right away because I wanted 10 speed. I found that the Bianchi has a more stable ride than the allez which I like. I believe the new Bianchi are the same geometry so they should handle the same. As for the components theres nothing wrong with sora if your riding for pleasure.
Old 10-30-06, 12:24 PM
brundle_fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 06' Nirone Ultegra.Bought it used though,and I'm very happy with it.Those Scott Speedsters look very nice too
Old 06-01-07, 06:27 AM
Hopetoditchcar

Bikes: 1.5 Raleighs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump for more experience, I might be buying one this weekend
Old 06-01-07, 08:47 AM
gantman
Re-Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Via Nirone C2C frame with the 105 setup & celeste frame. The more I ride it, the more I like it.

I previously rode a 1998 Trek 5000 with Campy Veloce. With the Bianchi, I am impressed with the better balance. It is much more suited to the way I ride now, which is mostly recreational. The geometry is a tad more relaxed and comfortable. The cons, which are minimal are; the bike is a little heavier. The Aluminum frame (even with the carbon seat stay and fork) offers a little firmer ride. I am by no standard an expert, just my 2 cents.

I recommend highly as long as you are not expecting a racing bike. As always, ride it before buying.

Old 06-01-07, 11:20 AM
Hopetoditchcar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what makes the gemoetry more relaxed and comfortable?
Old 06-01-07, 01:45 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopetoditchcar
what makes the gemoetry more relaxed and comfortable?
It's the head angle and wheel base. Even though it use a compact frame for sizing the main points hubs, handle bars, saddle and BB and angles are a Italian stage bike compared to crit bikes.
Here is a little article on Italian geometry. go to the "Italian "STAGE GEOMETRY"" section

https://www.smartcycles.com/stage_bikes.htm
Old 06-04-07, 06:50 AM
gantman
Re-Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopetoditchcar ....
Just noticed your sig. You may want to look elsewhere for a bike. The Aluminum Via Nirone frames are made in Taiwan.
Old 06-04-07, 07:39 AM
Hopetoditchcar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frames say rc on them, which means made in italy
Old 06-04-07, 08:04 AM
gantman
Re-Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry... Not anymore. Mine has got an RC plaque and a "Made in Taiwan" sticker. LBS verified origin of frame. It doesn't make a difference to me, but just wanted to make you aware if it is a barrier in your decision when getting a new bike. I certainly would not want to spend the money to find something like that after the fact.
Old 06-04-07, 08:22 AM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen
It's the head angle and wheel base. Even though it use a compact frame for sizing the main points hubs, handle bars, saddle and BB and angles are a Italian stage bike compared to crit bikes.
Here is a little article on Italian geometry. go to the "Italian "STAGE GEOMETRY"" section

https://www.smartcycles.com/stage_bikes.htm
I can't believe that I wasted a few minutes of my life reading that crap. What the "Italian 'STAGE GEOMETRY'" section boiled down to is "A bike's geometry is important. Italian bikes come in many sizes. That is good." It says nothing about what exactly characterizes such geometry in terms of angles and relative lengths, and the diagrams, which also are devoid of such empirical measurements, specifically say "not to scale"! More factless horse**** designed to sell whatever bike the propagator is selling.
Old 06-04-07, 09:20 AM
Hopetoditchcar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gantman
Sorry... Not anymore. Mine has got an RC plaque and a "Made in Taiwan" sticker. LBS verified origin of frame. It doesn't make a difference to me, but just wanted to make you aware if it is a barrier in your decision when getting a new bike. I certainly would not want to spend the money to find something like that after the fact.
REALLY?!?!?! I guess the via nirone is out now
Old 06-04-07, 03:46 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
1976 Raleigh super grand prix fixie conversion ( before they became Taiwan garbage)
2006 Orbea Volata (amazing!!)

never buy Taiwan!
Your signature is offensive and moronic.

I know it's less likely for you to grok the idea simply because you're an American, but here's something to ponder: We're not all Americans on this list. Even more shockingly, some of us have lived in Taiwan and have strong connections to the place.

But most astoundingly of all, there are excellent bicycles being made in Taiwan these days. I ride one myself, actually.

What kind of childish and/or ignorant mentality does one have to have to make bombastic proclamations against the manufacturing sector of a certain country with the expectation that all and sundry are Americans and therefore should necessarily agree with them?
Old 06-04-07, 04:03 PM
jkw

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Via Nirone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok guys,
It shouldn't really concern you where the frame is made, as Taiwanese bikes are of the highest quality if you're buying these well known brands. Their engineering is advanced (especially carbon), and most bikes are made in the same few factories...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I have gathered from other people...

However, on topic, I have also read that US-bound lower end Bianchis are made in Taiwan, whether they say Reparto Corse or not. I think that some are even US made (probably wrong).

Here in the UK, and I'm assuming most of Europe, they are made in Italy. My Via Nirone has no "made in Taiwan" stickers on it, and even goes so far as to say HANDMADE in Italy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
made in italy.jpg (42.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-05-07, 07:16 AM
gantman
Re-Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JKW

I agree with you. Everything I have seen and heard about the European vs. US distribution channels concurs with what you have stated. I don't think it makes a difference in the quality of the frame. Even if it does, I am happy with mine.

If someone does not want to buy a frame because origin, material, brand or whatever.... so be it. Some reasons may be valid, some may not. I am simply stating two facts; I like my bike. The frame was made in Taiwan.

Angry rants loaded with assumptions and name calling say much more about the ranter than what he or she is ranting against.
Old 06-05-07, 08:59 AM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gantman
If someone does not want to buy a frame because origin, material, brand or whatever.... so be it. Some reasons may be valid, some may not. I am simply stating two facts; I like my bike. The frame was made in Taiwan.

Angry rants loaded with assumptions and name calling say much more about the ranter than what he or she is ranting against.
Not wanting to buy a frame due to its origin is one thing. Calling what a country produces "garbage" and exhorting people to "never buy Taiwan!" is quite another.
Old 06-05-07, 09:09 AM
Hopetoditchcar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone at a shop mentioned this to me, and again it has been brought up by JKW. Why does manufacturers supply their european buyers with bikes made in europe, but supply the american buyers with bikes made in taiwan?
Old 06-05-07, 09:57 AM
gantman
Re-Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone at a shop mentioned this to me, and again it has been brought up by JKW. Why does manufacturers supply their european buyers with bikes made in europe, but supply the american buyers with bikes made in taiwan?
Distribution can add a substantial cost to getting a product to market. I assume it plays a role in this case as well. If Bianchi does produce the same frames in Italy and Taiwan, I am willing to bet they would centralize production when and where there is a cost benefit to do so as long as quality did not suffer.
A company the size and with the reputation of Bianchi has much more to lose in the long run if their quality declines regardless of any short term gains in margin.
Old 06-05-07, 10:27 AM
Hopetoditchcar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think it could be related to the consumer as well? Most americans don't seem to mind where a frame is made, but maybe those in europe do? Maybe people in Europe prefer a frame to made in their own backyard?
Old 06-05-07, 11:00 AM
gantman
Re-Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a mystique to Italian bikes. I'm pretty sure that operates at different levels depending on location. I was disappointed when I discovered that the frame was made in Taiwan. I was also disappointed when I discovered that the bike I preferred and could afford was not available Campy equipped. (By the way, Bianchi also has many more Campy equipped bikes for this frame in Europe as well.) My disappointment did not have anything to do with quality, only mystique. By all tangible measurements, the bike performed the way I wanted. So I got it... No regrets.

However, to your point... companies do spend a lot of money on marketing departments, advertising agencies etc... Not only do they gauge a consumers wants, but they also work to help sell the product by appealing to emotions. If Bianchi still uses that mystique to sell bikes in Europe, producing frames in Taiwan would definitely be a conflict.
Old 06-16-07, 08:27 PM
gopheralex

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered my C2C Via Nirone Sora back in February and it just came in last month. It's a 50cm, weighing in at about 20 pounds on the bathroom scale. $799, Made in Taiwan. There is not enough celeste on it, but oh well. I was a little disappointed because on the website, the color is silver and it has carbon seat stays. It's also listed as having Ambrosio wheels, whereas mine are Alex. But that's okay. On my first ride I became familiar with the Sora front derailleur, SLAMMING the chain into the chainstay and taking out a big gouge of the paint. I think it was a misadjusted limit screw, but I will eventually be upgrading it to full Campy anyway.

(Shown as stock except for the pedals & bottle cage)

Old 06-16-07, 09:45 PM
Adagio Corse
Accuracy is Speed

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 928 C2C w/ Ultegra compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 928 C2C Ultegra and I love it to death. Comfy and smooth. Fits my riding style to a T. I ride long straight routes for miles on end. It absorbs bumps very well, but I run 700x25 clinchers at 90psi, so that may have something to do with comfort too.

As for the made in Taiwan Bianchi's. Apparently, American sold Bianchis are unique to the American market, with the exception of the "RC" models and maybe the cyclocross concept, but almost all the other models are designed for Americans by Americans (by Bianchi North America) and produced in Taiwan. No differently, there are models in Japan designed uniquely for the Japanese market. Bianchi has a very sophisticated marketing arm that caters to individual countries. Just as there are several Euro only models that Americans have no access to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.