Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My near death experience and 50 days in the hospital

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My near death experience and 50 days in the hospital

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 03:14 PM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're healing. Hope you're back on the bike soon.
Old 08-16-07, 04:25 PM
doktoravalanche

Bikes: Frankenhinger

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's amazing... Well done for just surviving, i don't know if i'd be able to bounce back in the way you have. Look forward to your new bike being posted in the commuter thread...
Old 08-16-07, 04:25 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a story. I hope you heal well, and sooner than you thought you would.

Reading your story makes me more convinced than ever that I shouldn't worry about taking the lane when there's no bike lane and nothing but parked cars on the right.
Old 08-16-07, 06:26 PM
NSJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what I've learned about commuting in the future: never, ever use a Felt Scandium framed, 16 lb roadster with DurAce, Mavic's, eggbeaters, et al as a commuter bike in a big city. Seriously. I 've never riden recklesslessly---I can't tell you the # of times I've had to yell at a driver for cutting me off, changing lanes w/o looking, etc. But High end road bikes shouldn't be used for commuting, for sure, and I normally never used my high end road bike for such purposes--it's difficult to access the brakes immediately in case of an accident when your'e not in the drops. At the time of the accident, I was going to meet someone who wanted to buy a guitar amp I had advertised on Craig's List.

Normally, I had been using a heavier Bike Friday touring bike/folder with regular pedals, easier to access brakes for getting around, but it was in the shop (actually, back to Bike Friday HQs in Oregon for repair). I'll return to the Bike Friday, for sure. You can access the brakes on the top of the handlebars.
Old 08-16-07, 08:08 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What an ordeal! I'm glad you are progressing so well and maintaining such a good attitude. All you other people please investigate being blood donors if you don't donate already. It's a good way to give something back to society and feel good about yourself at the same time. You may notice a bit of fatigue for a few days after you donate, but it isn't normally a big deal. Consider what a difference those 28 donors made in this guy's life.
Old 08-16-07, 08:59 PM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. Your courage is very admirable.

Best wishes for a successful recovery.

Best wishes for a safer future for bicyclists.
Old 08-16-07, 09:33 PM
Rotten Bastard

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sorry I'm late to this. Good vibes sent your way, NSJ.
Old 08-16-07, 09:37 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=rajman;5082699]
Originally Posted by MyPC8MyBrain

I don't care what you guys say, commuting by bike ~is~ dangerous. The fact is, they let idiots drive cars. One idiot not paying attention is all it takes to put you down. Ride with that in your mind to stimulate your defensive stature.
QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear you're recovering, though you have a long road ahead.

While commuting by bike entails risks, obviously, it is not at all clear that commuting by car is any less dangerous.

The tens of thousands who die every year in car crashes (and hundreds of thousands injured) suggest the opposite. The fact that the NSJ had the physical resilience to withstand such a heavy physical trauma is a testament to his overall health, partially due to regular physical activity.
I might be wrong, but I think you missed the point. He wasn't saying that commuting by bike is dangerous and to stop, but that it can be dangerous and should ride in a manner that you are prepared for idiots. For example, don't ride in the lane of park cars with no room to maneuver in case a door opens, but to ride with the traffic and if needed to take the lane. I know when I ride, I am always on the look for dangerous situations.
Old 08-16-07, 09:41 PM
mirage1
Bossy Bunny

Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's stories like these that scare the hell out of me. You are riding along as happy as a clam, next thing you know you waking up 5 days later in a f'n hospital.

Thank you for scaring me again. Really. Sometimes I think that I get too complacient about the dangers that are just one idiot away.

I don't care what you guys say, commuting by bike ~is~ dangerous. The fact is, they let idiots drive cars. One idiot not paying attention is all it takes to put you down. Ride with that in your mind to stimulate your defensive stature.

Wow... it opens your eyes doesn't it.

Heal quickly and completely OP, and get on that bike... I want to hear about that first ride.
Ditto. It's always good to get a reminder that I am the one who has to take responsibility for making sure some knucklehead doesn't affect my life like this!

NSJ, I'm so glad this story is on its way to a happy ending.

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.
Old 08-16-07, 09:44 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Holy crap, glad you recovered dude.

If anything, you've convinced me to be more careful out there.
Old 08-16-07, 09:56 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NSJ
I'll return to the Bike Friday, for sure. You can access the brakes on the top of the handlebars.
Wow, so glad your on a road to recovery instead of a road to a grassy field overlooking the city.
The accessible brakes is why i use my cross bike to commute and not my road bike, with the inline brakes I can reach them at all times.

Again, glad your recovering, and able to post
Old 08-17-07, 02:27 PM
State
Huge Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NSJ
But High end road bikes shouldn't be used for commuting, for sure, and I normally never used my high end road bike for such purposes--it's difficult to access the brakes immediately in case of an accident when your'e not in the drops.
So keep your hands in the drops? I commute on a road bike, and I if I am in traffic (or any other situation where I might have to make a panic stop) my hands are in the drops, and my fingers might even be touching the levers.
Old 08-17-07, 02:38 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really do hope the OP heals quickly and fully, so I'll tread lightly here, but I think folks are being a bit too hard on the parked motorist who opened his door.

I think it's the job of the cyclist to stay OUT of the door zone (it's also the pedestrian stepping between two SUVs zone!). Take the lane, or don't ride that street -- but riding a whisker away from curbs and parked cars can get you killed.

Last edited by Bikepacker67; 08-17-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 03:19 PM
discosaurus
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I don't have anything new or exciting to offer, but I can't read that and not comment.

It's amazing that you pulled through so well (considering...). Heal up, fast and fully! I wish you many great rides when you're ready to get back on the bike.
Old 08-17-07, 03:19 PM
discosaurus
i like mud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
double

Last edited by discosaurus; 08-17-07 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 03:26 PM
discosaurus
i like mud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
triple. my internet connection sucks!
Old 08-17-07, 04:10 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak
Please tell me the driver that doored you is paying the price. I believe in many places it is against the law to open your car door to oncoming traffic. If that is the case, the driver would re$pon$ible for your entire ordeal..
it is illegal in Chicago (where this happened to the OP), and from my anecdotal experience with dooring in Chicago cops are knowledgeable of this law and actively ticket for it.
Old 08-17-07, 04:11 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't care what you guys say, commuting by bike ~is~ dangerous.
Absolutely it is dangerous. Almost as dangerous as commuting by car. People commuting by car, and by bike, should be aware of these dangers, I agree with you! Harrowing story here, hopefully some good will come of it and some people may be reminded of the dangers and take actions to minimize the risk.
Old 08-17-07, 04:42 PM
dr. nate

Bikes: K2 Mach 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are strong, keep up the work in PT don't forget your goals!

-Nate
Old 08-17-07, 04:47 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow..glad you're mending and get back out on that bike, it's one of the reasons you survived..oh and also got hit..

I got nailed by an out of control car and got a broken leg, gashes, you name it..the part of your story about learning to sit up and go to the bathroom bring all that stuff back...man am I happy i can stand again.. and pain sucks!

I settled for $55k which put a down payment on house so at least I got something out of it..you should too!! and of course i'm glad i'm alive..

Cheers!
Old 08-17-07, 05:17 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG, glad to hear that you are on your way to recovery. I'm really sorry to hear what has happened to you. I want to congratulate you on your strength and positive attitude to get going with life and to get back on the bike. Lesser mortals would be taking anti-depressants by now and/or giving up. I hope you heal quickly and positively. More power to you.
Old 08-17-07, 08:51 PM
NSJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heywood
Wow..glad you're mending and get back out on that bike, it's one of the reasons you survived..oh and also got hit..

I got nailed by an out of control car and got a broken leg, gashes, you name it..the part of your story about learning to sit up and go to the bathroom bring all that stuff back...man am I happy i can stand again.. and pain sucks!

I settled for $55k which put a down payment on house so at least I got something out of it..you should too!! and of course i'm glad i'm alive..

Cheers!
Great to hear a happy ending to your story! Hope you got back on the bike and are enjoying it again, too---safely, of course. BTW: I already have a lawyer, and he is working on the case. In Cook County, a civil case usually takes, oh, about 4-5 years to filter through the beauracracy...
Old 08-18-07, 01:29 AM
natesi

Bikes: Cannondale F7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NSJ
Great to hear a happy ending to your story! Hope you got back on the bike and are enjoying it again, too---safely, of course. BTW: I already have a lawyer, and he is working on the case. In Cook County, a civil case usually takes, oh, about 4-5 years to filter through the beauracracy...
So, what do you do in the mean time? Pay an outrageous hospital bill or go totally bankrupt?

Seriously.

Are you single or married? I'm single and one of my concerns is that if I got hit, was in the hospital for weeks, and couldn't work for a few months I'd be destroyed financially. The medical bills alone could be over $100K. I have good health insurance, but health insurance is so bad in the US that I would almost expect them to totally screw me over and leave me with a portion to pay. And I guess having a couple month's salary in the bank would help with time off, but damn.

I feel like the only thing a person could do is TRY to have as good of health insurance as possible, a few month's salary in the bank, short term disability insurance, and longterm disability insurance. But does your employer have to hold your job for you for months? If you're not working for months and your health insurance comes out of your paycheck are you not covered for rehab?

Man, this is scarry.
Old 08-18-07, 05:00 AM
Sahaquiel
Insomniac

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a horror story! So relieved you're alive, though. Live strong, man!
Old 08-18-07, 05:21 AM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God bless, that is an awful thing to happen. I hope you recover faster than prescribed given your obviously strong will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.