Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

bmx crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 06:09 PM
magoolc1
SPOLHUBBY

Bikes: trek 820, and park pre xl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bmx crossover?

Im thinking of joining the ss/fixed masses. Ive always lurked in the shadows on here. I am 37 and restore 80s bmx bikes. I have some nice parts here from my builds. Has anyone used parts like crupi pedals, bmx hi-end hubs, ie. bullseye,tnt, sunshine? How about cranks like redline flight, profile. Does 1 piece cranks work. Ive all ready checked on the headsets, my chris king wont fit. Im in the market for a frame now i hope my build comes out ok. Thanks.
Old 09-03-07, 06:41 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magoolc1
Im thinking of joining the ss/fixed masses. Ive always lurked in the shadows on here. I am 37 and restore 80s bmx bikes. I have some nice parts here from my builds. Has anyone used parts like crupi pedals, bmx hi-end hubs, ie. bullseye,tnt, sunshine? How about cranks like redline flight, profile. Does 1 piece cranks work. Ive all ready checked on the headsets, my chris king wont fit. Im in the market for a frame now i hope my build comes out ok. Thanks.
dude check out wbase its a japanese bike site and there are plenty of these kind of bikes on there
king hubs riser bars white pedals cooks cranks y'know

here is my cross over of sorts its a tramx bike

Old 09-03-07, 06:42 PM
deathhare
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old set of TNT Revolver hubs that id love to use on a build sometime.
Old 09-03-07, 09:08 PM
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Youtube tom Lamarche and cadence clothing and you'll find exactly what you're looking for.
Old 09-03-07, 09:09 PM
kwhord

Bikes: Metal Dagger, Bianchi Veloce (Stolen), Bianchi Pista, S&M Challenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at the NBL grands this weekend, and almost bought some anodized black widow crank arms. I really like the cross-over trend. I want to run an upside-down xxl DK stem on my pista.
Old 09-03-07, 09:24 PM
noriel
Honking drivers see you

Bikes: Fuji Track, KHS Witch Doctor, Balance AL 750, Tank Mod Trials Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually try to put profile cranks on my fixed-gear builds. I only with their limited editions and raw finish cranks come in 165mm. Just make sure you use the right spacer depending on your bb width. Chainline usually isn't an issure with bmx type bbs that have spined spindles. I'm considering respacing some 110 mm profile rear hubs for SS use. I'm pretty sure the OLD is the same for front hubs, I've seen 100mm listed for many bmx hubs. I've had a craving for brown anodized parts since I've been ordering parts from dans comp.

The nice part about the compact drive movement in bmx is that the older parts are getting cheaper. I was able to snag a Shadow Crogora 44t chainwheel for about 20 bucks with 110mm chainguard.

Profile offers spiders for their cranks that have 110mm bcd, 104/94bcd, and 4 bolt patterns. I prefer using bmx parts because you can get them at a decent cost, they have better color selection, and they don't look the same parts everyone else is using. I like my parts burly, and don't mind the added weight. Profile's coming out with a fixed gear hubset, but I think I'd rather get Phil's for that money.
Old 09-03-07, 11:51 PM
kjohnnytarr
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my fixie, made with plenty of BMX parts. Just so you can get some ideas.

Old 09-04-07, 08:58 PM
magoolc1
SPOLHUBBY

Bikes: trek 820, and park pre xl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, im glad there are more of you out there. Ive never built a ss/fix and i really thought i would be outcasted for such a travesty. I have a set of tnt revolvers too. Now to find a decent f/f to work with.
Old 09-04-07, 09:59 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
kjohnny, how big is your cog? that looks huge!
Old 09-05-07, 05:47 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magoolc1
Depending on if you know what you're doing, you can build up a fix/ss street bike nearly entirely with BMX parts.

Front hubs are definitely usable. I've seen a few bikes with profile or redline cranks (just use a euro BB for English threaded bottom bracket shells). A lot of the newer bikes have 1 1/8" threadless steerers, which is identical to modern BMX forks... most older ones are 1" threaded, also like older BMX forks.