Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Who is a vegetarian?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Who is a vegetarian?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 10:45 AM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris L
Assuming, of course, that your local farmers actually do grow things organically. Around here they most certainly do not. Heck, after hearing about the sort of things they spray on Strawberries in Caboolture and surrounding areas, I will only buy a punnet of strawberries if it clearly states on the label that they come from either Victoria or Tasmania.

On the plus side, I did have a very nice, freshly picked organic salad a couple of weeks ago on my three-day tour on the (soon to be) notorious East Egypt road. This little cafe not only grows it's own ingredients, but in fact goes out to the garden and picks the salad while you're waiting for your meal. Suffice to say, if I'm ever in that area again, I know where I'm stopping for lunch. In fact, some of the best (and best value) food I've ever eaten on cycling tours has been from local fruit stalls.

As far as water goes, I'm down to around 4-5 litres a day at the moment -- it's "winter" here right now. Next summer, I'll be up to around 10 litres a day once more.
Fortunately, there's a very strong organic growers movement in Oregon, and much of the produce at the local farmer's market and at any of several natural foods stores is in fact certified organic or equivalent.

Also, I grow what I can myself, also organically. Of course, there's only so far you can go on a city lot, but I'll have eaten garlic, lettuce, squash, green beans, serrano peppers, parsnips, leeks, mint, carrots and chard from my garden by the end of the year...
Old 06-29-04, 12:59 PM
elcabron

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a meat-a-tarian.
Carne asada, BBQ and carnitas tacos with great salsas are the universe's gifts to me.
I eat alot of great veggies and fruits, too.
I just eat (and cook) alot.

I think I'll go ride now.

Best,
El Cabron
Old 06-29-04, 06:16 PM
TimArchy

Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was huge into meat for most of my life. I ate hamburgers at every meal through high school and the first two years of college. Then I started tapering off the amout of meat I ate and I felt like i had so much more energy. I no longer need to take naps after I eat. I've been vegitarian for a year and a half or so and working on vegan. The worst part about going vegan is having to give up pre-packaged pasteries from the vending machines. I lived on those things. but just recently I found out that Mrs. Freshley's Honey Buns are dairy and egg free. So I can still get my fix until I give up honey and refined sugar.
As for commuting, I don't think I could do it if I still ate meat. I never had enough energy then.

tim
Old 06-29-04, 06:37 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimArchy
I was huge into meat for most of my life. I ate hamburgers at every meal through high school and the first two years of college. Then I started tapering off the amout of meat I ate and I felt like i had so much more energy. I no longer need to take naps after I eat. I've been vegitarian for a year and a half or so and working on vegan. The worst part about going vegan is having to give up pre-packaged pasteries from the vending machines. I lived on those things. but just recently I found out that Mrs. Freshley's Honey Buns are dairy and egg free. So I can still get my fix until I give up honey and refined sugar.
As for commuting, I don't think I could do it if I still ate meat. I never had enough energy then.

tim
Damn, whats left to eat, twigs and leaves?
Old 06-30-04, 04:12 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Yeah, but if it never gets picked it's gonna rot on the tree....

(Ducking...)
Umm, it's a vine actually. I gave it a prune a couple of weeks ago. Apparently this stuff isn't supposed to grow in "winter".

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=55477

That is all.
Old 06-30-04, 06:14 AM
TimArchy

Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twigs and leaves? Thats what the sugar companies want you to think.

tim
Old 06-30-04, 02:46 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 1,197 Posts
Umm, it's a vine actually. I gave it a prune a couple of weeks ago. Apparently this stuff isn't supposed to grow in "winter".

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=55477
Oh, man, I didn't realize you meant it literally about the passionfruit. Oh, never mind. Just never mind. Sorry.
Old 06-30-04, 03:01 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haahaa, that FUNNY. Poor madpogue.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Oh, man, I didn't realize you meant it literally about the passionfruit. Oh, never mind. Just never mind. Sorry.
Old 06-30-04, 07:56 PM
Jean Beetham Smith 
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do eat fish about once a month, but basically I haven't eaten meat or poultry for 24 years. That doesn't mean I'm virtuous in any way, I eat too much fat, too many carbohydrates (I'm a sucker for anything that has been proofed and raised), and not enough of the green leafies. Partially because I tend to eat when I can, which isn't often and tends to be when I'm either too tired to cook or don't have time. I'll know I've retired when I actually eat 21 meals in a week. For all my bad eating I still seem to turn the wheels around on my commutes.
Old 06-30-04, 09:30 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I dunno, I'm still trying to figure out where this "carbs are bad" idea comes from. I can't get enough of them, yet I never seem to put on any weight.

That is all.
Old 07-01-04, 11:52 PM
SteelCommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno, I'm still trying to figure out where this "carbs are bad" idea comes from. I can't get enough of them, yet I never seem to put on any weight.
Yeah, same here. I think that the idea is that processed carbohydrates that people snack on are unhealthy, because people often eat far too much. Somehow this observation has been distorted into the ridiculous idea that all carbs are bad for you.

Regarding the initial question that started this thread, bags of organic popcorn are a terrific vegan snack for cyclists, especially the herb flavor you can buy at many grocery stores. Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and and other nuts are good, too. And of course, the traditional and unbeatable PBJ sandwich with all natural peanut butter, GOOD jam, and sprouted grain bread. Or, for a lunch, get said bread and put on some veganaise, alfalfa sprouts, veggie deli slices, a piece of tomato, and a slice of Follow Your Heart soy cheese. Or two.

Interesting thread. Oh yeah, if you want to write a confessional about how you're not a vegetarian and what kind of meat you eat, blah blah, start another thread. The question is about vegetarian foods, people.
Old 07-02-04, 01:19 AM
hotwheels

Bikes: Trek7300, GT Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm keeping food intake on the vegetarian side from now on. No problems with meat, I've just enjoyed a vegetarian diet more. Easy stuff. PBJ's Sprouted grain bread, PB -no salt added, and definately good jam. Salads that have fruit and nuts in them, pistachios, walnuts, pignolias, strawberrys, apples, peaches, gorgonzola, feta, and a ton of mixed greens, home made dressing olive oil and vinegar, a hard boiled egg sliced. Home made hummus with sprouted grain bread any kind of sprout and a slice of tomato and some baked tofu. ummmmmmm, baked tofu!!!Soak the tofu in (PLUG)Bragg Liquid Aminos(PLUG) and bake it 'til it has a tough outside -taste like salty jerky and is great in any vegetarian sammie. My friend makes a vegan chocolate cake once a month and I get a slice of it and oh sweet lord, find this type of recipe IT IS FREAKING PERFECT!!! I love Classico spicy pepper red sauce and Progresso Lentil soup.
Old 07-02-04, 05:34 PM
Satyr
Corsair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of you all on a raw/living food diet? I've been vegan for awhile and tried raw foodism for a few week. (The end of the diet had nothing to do with the food being raw, but my own bonehead mistake in preparing something. Still quite hard for me to stomach raw sprouted beans, six months later).

Anyway, I found I had even *more* energy eating raw foods than I did heavily cooked vegan dishes. I think this had mostly to do with how light most raw foods are. I could eat as much fruit and vegetable salad as I wanted, satisfy my hunger, but feel no heaviness in the stomach. It's an odd feeling to know you need not eat more, yet as spry as before you started eating.
Old 07-02-04, 08:04 PM
borneo_cyclist

Bikes: china cheap bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not vegetarian but I eat very little meat. My major food are noodle ! Because it is cheap and provide more energy !
Old 07-03-04, 01:43 AM
jtg

Bikes: Trek Mountain track 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota200x
I am a commuter and I was wonder who else out there is a vegetarian. What is your favorite food?
Thanks

I can't say Im a vegetarian, not by a long shot. I am a very avid hunter and fisherman.
Old 07-03-04, 12:52 PM
gqsmoothie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm freegan-which means I'm vegan except if I dumpster dive a product containing animal products in it -I eat it. For ex. - I dumpstered a loaf of bread last night w/whey in it-I'm grubbing down on it. Or I sometimes come across some blocks of cheese, granola bars with milk chocolate in them, etc.

GQ
Old 07-04-04, 10:26 AM
campkev
Paranoid Schizophrenic*

Bikes: Trek 7100.... Stop Laughing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota200x
I am a commuter and I was wonder who else out there is a vegetarian. What is your favorite food?
Thanks
I always point people to this website whenever I can.....

https://www.admworld.com/eng/food/default.asp

It's enough to make me puke when I think about what they're feeding us.
Old 07-26-04, 04:44 PM
gravel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beans beans they're good for your heart.

Black beans, lima beans, Black eyed peas, Kidney beans, Garbonzo Beans, etc. Usually I take one day in the week, load up my oven with about 3 or 3 dishes, and cook the them all for about 4 hours with some seasoning (no salt!) at about 250 (no pre-soaking necessary).

Lima's are my new favorite, generally all meals go great with rice, which is good fuel for the ride home.

good for making wraps, adding to salads, or even sauces with pasta. Beans and rice provide a nutritional value together, that they lack seperately.

And all very inexpensive.
Old 07-26-04, 07:24 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Satyr
Any of you all on a raw/living food diet? I've been vegan for awhile and tried raw foodism for a few week. (The end of the diet had nothing to do with the food being raw, but my own bonehead mistake in preparing something. Still quite hard for me to stomach raw sprouted beans, six months later).

Anyway, I found I had even *more* energy eating raw foods than I did heavily cooked vegan dishes. I think this had mostly to do with how light most raw foods are. I could eat as much fruit and vegetable salad as I wanted, satisfy my hunger, but feel no heaviness in the stomach. It's an odd feeling to know you need not eat more, yet as spry as before you started eating.
I'm not completely raw, but am vegan and have been concentrating on raw foods mostly lately. I hear you about having more energy when eating raw foods. It's pretty much common sense if you think about it: when you cook foods, even healthy foods, you are destroying the living enzymes within the food. When you eat whole foods in their natural state you are getting these essential enzymes which in turn contribute positively to your health. Another point is that cooked foods are much harder to digest than raw natural foods. Let's say a person eats a few pieces of fried chicken which has 5 'units' of energy. Your body uses 3 'units' of energy to digest it. You are left with a net gain of 2 units of energy. So, let's say another person eats a nice dish of raw organic dark leafy greens and maybe some radish and sprouts. That person gets the same 5 'units' of energy, but only uses 1 'unit' to digest it. Naturally, the second person will be enjoying a more energetic, healthier life while the first person is laying down on the couch watching a baseball game. Or maybe bass fishing. Or bowling. If they are feeling really energetic they might even turn on a basketball game.

It's so ironic that people who choose to eat smarter are often thought of as weaker.