Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Planet Bike Super Flash versus CatEye TL-LD1000

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 01:26 PM
Southernwayfare
Ragin' Cajun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a nice comparison review of the Planet Bike Super Flash versus the CatEye TL-LD1000 from CandlePowerForums.com

Executive Summary:
For 2/3 the price, you get a smaller, lighter, brighter, more versitile light with the Super Flash. It may not have as much side visibility as the TL-LD1000, but it's clear plastic casing gives it enough for my needs. The TL-LD1000 represents CatEye's "best" rear Red LED light, and really missed the mark, as it's excessively large, heavy, and a pain to run through the cycles.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Cat Eye TL-LD1100
Old 10-03-07, 02:01 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
The way the LD1000 flashes two separate banks which go in and out of sync really spoiled it for me. Half the time it just looks like a steady light from a distance.
Old 10-03-07, 02:43 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First off the TL-10o0 has been replaced by the brighter TL-1100.

Second, the TL-1000 is much more visible in daylight/dusk/overcast weather than the Superflash.
Old 10-03-07, 02:45 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I replaced my Cateyes with the Superflash - nuff said.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-03-07, 02:47 PM
dwainedibbly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The way the LD1000 flashes two separate banks which go in and out of sync really spoiled it for me. Half the time it just looks like a steady light from a distance.
I *like* that I can put the 2 banks out of sync, flashing different patterns. Doesn't the Super Flash use AAA batteries? I have the Cateye, btw, but the Super Flash looks like a good light, too. I won't be buying one, though, since I got a Dinotte.
Old 10-03-07, 03:01 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up 2 superflashes. LOVE THEM. Painful to look at even in the day.
Old 10-03-07, 03:19 PM
Southernwayfare
Ragin' Cajun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
... the TL-1000 is much more visible in daylight/dusk/overcast weather than the Superflash.
I don't understand how this would be true...
Old 10-03-07, 03:26 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom

same
Old 10-03-07, 03:42 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Superflash is brighter than the LD-1000, lighter, and cheaper. The .5 watt single LED combined with the two smaller LEDs makes for a pretty impressive presentation. Plus you can get TWO Superflashes for the price of one Cateye. Redundancy is important with taillights.
Old 10-03-07, 04:24 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
First off the TL-10o0 has been replaced by the brighter TL-1100.
Dang it -- I just bought a TL-1000 a week ago...

Or maybe it's the 1100; when was the update?
Old 10-03-07, 05:23 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Dang it -- I just bought a TL-1000 a week ago...

Or maybe it's the 1100; when was the update?
If you got a good sale price on it, it's most likely the TL-1000. I haven't seen any reviews on the TL-1100 yet, but I haven't been looking either. Don't sweat it, the 1000 is a good light. I have it and the Superflash and I think I like the Cateye a little better since it provides considerably better side visibility.
Old 10-03-07, 05:40 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I couldn't say if it was a good price; I got it from a local shop.

I almost bought the Superflash, too -- loved the main LED's optics and the seizure-inducing flash pattern, but I just couldn't figure out a way to mount it onto my road bike (at least not unless I ditch the seat bag; I don't have much seatpost space available, the clamp's too small for the seat tube, and I don't know about using the small clamp on the CAAD8's ovalized seatstays).

So, at the moment, the TL-1000 (or 1100) is on the BB and a Mars 3.0 is on the CAAD8. Bonus points to the TL for its lower profile, making it easier to share seatpost space with a reflector, SKS fender, and seat bag. Plus, as noted before, both lights have good side lighting.
Old 10-03-07, 06:56 PM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cateye has PB beat on toughness though. The Superflash has no problem losing half its shell (and thus the batteries dropping out) over any large jumps (no, not the napoleon dynamite kind, but coming off high curbs in NYC off certain bridges or spots where there is no road). I hate having to stop and pick up the half and find the batteries. I finally zip-tied it, but that's not a real solution. My cateye I can beat the hell out of and it's not falling in half.

That said, I prefer the brightness of the superflash, though I've read the 1100 is just as bright.
Old 10-03-07, 06:58 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I took the LD1000 off my bike the day I got my superflash.
That said, the LD1000 is now obsolete. They should be testing against the 1100.
Of course, I have zero need for side visibility; 100% of my ride is on long rural roads, nobody EVER comes at me from the sides, they're coming at me from behind at high speed. Plus, I have a xenon strobe with 180* visibility.
Old 10-03-07, 07:00 PM
DodgeRam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 1100
Old 10-03-07, 07:08 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I couldn't say if it was a good price; I got it from a local shop.

I almost bought the Superflash, too -- loved the main LED's optics and the seizure-inducing flash pattern, but I just couldn't figure out a way to mount it onto my road bike (at least not unless I ditch the seat bag;
That's the beauty of a seat bag with a blinky loop, like I have on my road bike. I mount it to my Carradice Barley on the other bikes...in the winter, when I go to the bigger Pendle, I can mount 2 of them.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-03-07, 07:47 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto

Better mounting, less weight. Here in Canada I think the cateye was close to 50 bucks amd the superflash is only 15. I can buy 3 superflash for less money.

I also had problems with the cateye loosing contactivity (is that a word?) I would arrive at work and the cateye would be barely visibile unless i opened and closed the battery compartment, reseting the contacts. And yes i cleaned them.
Old 10-03-07, 08:03 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the beauty of a seat bag with a blinky loop, like I have on my road bike. I mount it to my Carradice Barley on the other bikes...in the winter, when I go to the bigger Pendle, I can mount 2 of them.
Most of the blinky loops on bags I've seen result in the light being angled down, instead of aiming at the driver's eyes.

Given the highly directional nature of LED's, I think this reduces their effectiveness quite a bit.

Of course, with the PBSF, this might be somewhat less of a problem, but I still think it's much better to mount it to the seat post and/or seat stays.
Old 10-03-07, 08:34 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pictures, where are the pictures?
Old 10-03-07, 08:49 PM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both. Best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 10-03-07, 08:55 PM
duppie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarery
Ditto

Better mounting, less weight. Here in Canada I think the cateye was close to 50 bucks amd the superflash is only 15. I can buy 3 superflash for less money.

Jarery,
You sure about that? A quick google found the lowest prices in the US as follows:
Cateye LD1000: $24.99
Planet Bike Super Flash: $16.99

That is a far cry from 3 times the price
Duppie
Old 10-03-07, 09:30 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Most of the blinky loops on bags I've seen result in the light being angled down, instead of aiming at the driver's eyes.

Given the highly directional nature of LED's, I think this reduces their effectiveness quite a bit.

Of course, with the PBSF, this might be somewhat less of a problem, but I still think it's much better to mount it to the seat post and/or seat stays.
I think it's still a problem with the Superflash, because that lens thing is quite directional on its own.

I thought about putting it on the loop of the bag, but it would've pointed mostly at the back wheel. I also had my first light bounce off of my first seat bag more than once, and I'm not going to go through that hassle again. Any lights I put on the bike itself are going to be screwed onto it, both to keep them secure and to aim them properly.
Old 10-03-07, 09:42 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Replace? Pfft. I'm adding a SuperFlash to a pair of LD600s.
Old 10-03-07, 09:56 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Most of the blinky loops on bags I've seen result in the light being angled down, instead of aiming at the driver's eyes. Given the highly directional nature of LED's, I think this reduces their effectiveness quite a bit.
I agree. With LEDs and their "highly directional nature", a good mount is critical to effectiveness.

Just want to add:

The LD1000 is so frickin wide you can't use it on narrow saddles mounted on setback seatposts - your thighs will rub the light. This is a real problem. Can't believe somebody didn't catch this.

The LD1000 has a tendency to spontaneously turn off due to poor battery contact. Have to stop, unscrew cap, screw back in, lights back on. This is surprising considering the monster spring-type battery contacts this thing uses.

Also, the LD1000 is a battery hog. It burns through the AAs pretty darn quick, have to use lower voltage (and thus lower light output) rechargeables to operate economically. Maybe the newer LEDs in the 1100 version will be more efficient with lower current demand.

The dual control circuits are pointless IMO - you're gonna use all the LEDs. Who's going to choose to have a dimmer taillight?

All in all, I won't be buying another one. Not till they redesign to make it slimmer.

My PBSFs run a heck of a long time on the newish Lithium batteries. They are expensive from eveready (but cheap from batteryspace etc). They start out at ~1.75v and seem to stay >1.6v for a long time. May be cheaper than alkalines in the long run, with extra volts to push out the light.
Old 10-03-07, 10:07 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I almost bought the Superflash, too -- loved the main LED's optics and the seizure-inducing flash pattern, but I just couldn't figure out a way to mount it onto my road bike (at least not unless I ditch the seat bag; I don't have much seatpost space available, the clamp's too small for the seat tube, and I don't know about using the small clamp on the CAAD8's ovalized seatstays).

There's no problem mounting to the seatstays. That's actually my preferred location now.

---------

I'm still not sure where the desire for side visibility comes from. I guess I can't picture the situation where it would be useful. If I'm traveling at 20mph (and assuming they're sitting still?), it seems like by the time they saw a sidelight they'd be right on top of me anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.