Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

chain tensioner? too much chain bounce

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 06:04 PM
Ted Danson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as some of you might now i got a full suspension bike, but when going off the larger jumps and dropoffs my chain really lets loose and smacks my frame. im wondering if theres a cheap way to keep the derailure and also have a chain tensioner. looking to keep it under $50 hopefully under that, because its not that big of a problem. but i would still like it fixed. thanks for your input
Old 10-29-07, 06:35 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't do jumps, drop offs or the like (well, no big ones anyway) and I ride a hardtail XC bike.

I noticed the most chain slap going down fast on rocky trails. I put on a LizardSkins chainstay guard, which muted the noise. However, I've since been riding downhill in the largest chainring (42T) to allow more chain wrap and tension.

Also, make sure your chain is the correct length. You should be able to wrap the chain around the largest chainring and largest cog (leave the rear derailleur out of the picture) plus one full link with the rear suspension fully compressed. For extra tension, you can get away with setting up chain length around the largest chainring and second-largest cog, just know if you ever try to go into that combo while riding (which you shouldn't really anyway), something horrible will likely hapen.
Old 10-29-07, 06:36 PM
mtnbk3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cut the valve off of a tube, wrap it around the chainstay, and zip tie it, it will still slap but it won't damage your frame or cost more than 7 or 8 bucks at most with a bag of zipties
Old 10-29-07, 06:45 PM
Ted Danson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i figured a frame guard would work, but i was wondering if there was a better way to elimnate it fully. if not ill just buy a foam frame guard