Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

touring in Europe... Schengen visa... no more than 90 days :( ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 10:59 PM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I am planning to tour in european countries for hopefully the whole of next year. Upon doing some research about visas I've found about the Schengen agreement which will allow me to get the visa upon entering but with the restriction of being in for no more than 90 days in every 180 days period. Since most of the countries I plan to visit are within the Schengen zone Im afraid that means I've got only 90 days to bicycle tour all of them. That is obviously very restrictive given our (bike tourers) way of moving around.

Does anyone have any experiences to share in this regard? does anyone know how strictly is this limitation enforced?
Old 12-21-07, 12:50 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know where you're from, but Americans and Canadians can enter the Schengen area without any visa at all for up to 90 days. After that, you need to apply for a tourist visa.

Where are you from?
Old 12-21-07, 01:32 AM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot help you but can I suggest you try asking on the Lonely Planet chat forums? I think there will be a few people there who are quite familiar with Schengen regulations. You might even find your answer with a site search.
Old 12-21-07, 02:32 AM
DukeArcher 

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Gonz, when I was in the 'Schengen Area', no-one checked my entry date, ever, even when I begged th eborder control folks to stamp my passport! Even when I left the schengen area via ferry to England, neither the Dutch nor English cared that I had overstayed. If that fails, just claim poverty and point to the bike!
Old 12-21-07, 08:13 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
I don't know where you're from, but Americans and Canadians can enter the Schengen area without any visa at all for up to 90 days. After that, you need to apply for a tourist visa.

Where are you from?
I am from Mexico, I believe it is the same as US and Canada for the schengen thing.