Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

TT "blind" or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 05:44 PM
toucci
LOOK, a bike! LOOK! LOOK!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TT "blind" or not?

I'm doing my first TT tomorrow (20k) and I'm trying to decide what equipment to use. I've got the bike done except for the rear wheel (front is already an American Classic 420).

I can either:
  • Use my PowerTap/Open Pro to target my exertion level
  • Use my other AC420 wheel w/o PT (34 mm) for better aerodynamics
Is it worth ditching the PT for better aerodynamics at the risk of tiring out earlier? I will be going 26-27 mph if that matters. The course is entirely flat but can be windy. I feel more comfortable with the PT but if the aero advantage is huge at that level I'll ditch it and use my perceived exertion and speed instead.
Old 01-11-08, 06:08 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4078 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 678 Posts
No. Under no circumstances run without the PT.
Old 01-11-08, 06:18 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it an A priority race? I would not lose the power information at all. If you fear losing by 1 second or so, and can pace yourself VERY well via HR or RPE then go with the other wheel. Otherwise, PT all the way.
Old 01-11-08, 06:24 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
But if you leave the PT home, how will you past the graph here the next day?
Old 01-11-08, 06:24 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I comment, I'll be shot.
Just ask yourself this.
What would Sean Kelly do?
Old 01-11-08, 06:28 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
use PT and drive course beforehand being your first tt.
Old 01-11-08, 06:30 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would go with the aero wheel. You seem to know what speed you can hold - just bloody hold it! I think most time trialists fail because of lack of mental effort. A TT is a lot of work both physically and mentally. You cannot allow your mind to wander. You must constantly check your position, grip, breathing, cadence, speed, etc. You seem to know what speed you can run so I assume that you have done extensive interval training. Do not allow your speed to fall off. Embrace the pain - do not disassociate from it. Keep testing your limits to see if perhaps you can go slightly faster. I have been in time trials where the top three spots were separated by 4/10th of one second. Let's see, would I rather have had my aero wheels or another thing to look at? I'll take the wheels.

As an aside, I time trial with a Zipp 999 set (disk rear - 808 front). I assume you have the proper equipment such as aero helmet, skin suit, booties.

Some have the theory that on an out and back course, the outbound portion should be run as it is the whole race. I subscribe to that theory, and have set some state records using it. I especially attack the outbound leg when it runs into the wind. Anyway, whatever you choose to run, be tough, and good luck. If it is not incredibly painful, you screwed up!

I know you didn't ask for any advice other than the wheel, but I am so passionate about time trialing that I couldn't help myself.
Old 01-11-08, 06:33 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
btw congrats on the magazine article/pic skydive
Old 01-11-08, 06:37 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Difference on the rear wheel is not much. Difference in 2 MPH in windspeed represents about 20% more/less power. That's the difference between 60 minute power and 5 minute power.

Your first TT, you're going to feel way too good at the start.
Old 01-11-08, 06:40 PM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i vote for using the pt wheel, for one reason only; you said it's your first time trial. i think the data derived from it may help you get better at TTs later. eventually, i think you'll give up the pt to use the more aero wheel, as i would. but for the first few efforts, i think the info gleaned from the pt could be useful

-Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor
Old 01-11-08, 06:44 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daytonian
btw congrats on the magazine article/pic skydive
Which one did you see Daytonian? I had an amazing run last month appearing in three magazines. Did you see the article on winning the Masters Comeback Athlete of the Year Award? My scrapbook got a hell of a workout!
Old 01-11-08, 06:47 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skydive69
Which one did you see Daytonian? I had an amazing run last month appearing in three magazines. Did you see the article on winning the Masters Comeback Athlete of the Year Award? My scrapbook got a hell of a workout!
I think it was Road Bike Action Magazine. You got about a quarter page photo and bio. Very cool.
Old 01-11-08, 06:53 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say use the PT to get data... Now if it were an A race and you know your PE zones a case could be made for the more aero rear wheel.

Little late but you can buy a full rear disk cover for that Mavic PT whel.
Old 01-11-08, 06:58 PM
skydive69

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it was Road Bike Action Magazine. You got about a quarter page photo and bio. Very cool.
That one surprised me as I turned the page, but the cool one was the multi-page article in Masters Sports magazine.
Old 01-11-08, 07:03 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That one surprised me as I turned the page, but the cool one was the multi-page article in Masters Sports magazine.
So do you train with or have you train(ed) with a powermeter at all?

edit: just to get your take on them.
Old 01-11-08, 07:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 394 Posts
The AC 420 isn't that aero; its not like we're talking the difference between a conventional wheel and a disc.
Old 01-11-08, 07:08 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

...and it's the rear wheel.
Old 01-11-08, 07:32 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by YMCA
If I comment, I'll be shot.
Just ask yourself this.
What would Sean Kelly do?
He was asking about wheels, not whether or not to use toe clips and straps.
Old 01-11-08, 07:33 PM
toucci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will use the PT wheel, then. If I were skilled enough and in definite contention I would like to go without it, but I could toast my legs doing 500 watts into a headwind without knowing it at this point. Being my first TT, it should provide some good data for my Critical Power graph which currently loses relevance after 6 minutes

Thank you, daytonian, for suggesting I drive the course. It's Fiesta "Island" in San Diego and has some dirty sections from the recent rains that I hadn't expected. I drove the loop twice to find the corners that are safe to apex tightly and those where I need to hang outside.

Next task: getting my PT hub laced to something slipperier but still daily rideable for a 140-pounder.

Would there be a way to lace my 32 hole PT hub to the 24 spoke AC rim? I was thinking 16 spokes 3x laced on the drive side and 8 radially on non-drive side. Is that sketchy or what?
Old 01-11-08, 07:34 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know you didn't ask for any advice other than the wheel, but I am so passionate about time trialing that I couldn't help myself.
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in time trials, or to have been as accomplished of a racer, but that was all very well said!
Old 01-11-08, 07:35 PM
skydive69

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So do you train with or have you train(ed) with a powermeter at all?

edit: just to get your take on them.
I think power meters are fantastic. My son trains with one, and he loves it, and of course the readouts are fantastic. It is truly the way to train, but I have my reservations about racing with one. I've seen people panic, because they were not doing what they thought they should do on a power meter. In time trials, I have too many things to deal with and think about already without adding another thing.

To answer your question, however, I don't personally use one because I train with and race with so many different wheelsets. I had looked at the Ergomo, but there has been quality control issues with them, and they are not compatible with DA cranks which I run on two of my bikes. Also, I am not nuts about the wired PTs - the wires seem to be problematic. Bottom line, however is that I would love to train with one.

Oh, and yes, I swapped bikes with my kid when I was visiting him in Dallas for Christmas, and enjoyed using his power meter.
Old 01-11-08, 07:43 PM
toucci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to have to suffer extra tomorrow just to have something good to show skydive69 after his motivating posts
Old 01-11-08, 07:48 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toucci
I am going to have to suffer extra tomorrow just to have something good to show skydive69 after his motivating posts
+1
Old 01-11-08, 07:53 PM
skydive69

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by toucci
Cool! Go get them! Let us know how you did when you get back. I will be very interested to hear your impressions of the event. The only time I even do road races is in championship events - I'm a sucker for a free jersey!

Now say after me, "I will embrace and enjoy the pain, I will not let my mind wander, I will constantly check my position on the bike, I will relax my arms and face, I will not let any negative thought enter my mine, I will do a very thorough warm-up of at least one hour, I will do some pickups at race pace and allow my body to dissipate some lactic acid, I will come to the line with a very, very warm engine, I will not have anything left when I cross the finish line, I will kick my opponents butts!!
Old 01-11-08, 08:11 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like to shorten it.

Power, Cadence, Aero, Demoralize. Repeat until the finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.