Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mixte frameset - how would you build it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Which way do I go?
Build it as a standard 6 speed
33.33%
Build it as a Sora equipped 8 speed retro-modern roadie
14.29%
Build it as aflat bar townie with 7 speed trigger shifters and flat bars
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Mixte frameset - how would you build it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 07:49 PM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uhhhhh, errrrrr, bigbossman -- what's the delay? How about a picture of the frame!

That frame was one of the very best condition-wise over there. Most were rather chipped up or worse.

Congrats on getting that stem out. That sucker was buggered in there tight.
Old 05-08-08, 07:50 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Townie.
Old 05-08-08, 10:39 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BlankCrows
Uhhhhh, errrrrr, bigbossman -- what's the delay? How about a picture of the frame!
WOW - 26 replies before someone asks. You guys are slipping.

Here you go. Note the Fuji crank set. The frame came with usable BB cups, and the fellow at the bike pile offered my a spindle at no extra charge. I had the bearings, and when assembled this crankset fit very nicely, so there it will stay:

The original bars that came with the frame set. Notice the rust on the right - that's what the left looked like before I did a cursory cleaning. Believe it or not, as bad as the rust is, it seems to only be on the surface with little or no damage to the underlying chrome:

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-08-08, 11:14 PM
Blakey
\m/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hxzero
I think they look best with some swept-back bars like North Roads or albatross bars, or even moustache bars.
+2

More: https://flickr.com/search/?q=mixte&w=85942209%40N00
Old 05-11-08, 06:14 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Uggg I hate side pulls on a Mixte, but it looks like that frame will take a center pull, You should put one on on the lower bridge of course, I looks like it has the routing already in place... It's so much cleaner and tucked out of the way. Centerpulls exist for Mixtes.
Old 05-11-08, 06:19 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Uggg I hate side pulls on a Mixte, but it looks like that frame will take a center pull, You should put one on on the lower bridge of course, I looks like it has the routing already in place... It's so much cleaner and tucked out of the way. Centerpulls exist for Mixtes.
I'm with you, in general. This particular rear side pull came off a scrapped mixte, and is made for a mixte (pulls from the bottom). If I don't use it on a mixte, it will just sit in my parts bin.

Plus, I can practically guarantee that the person that buys it will neither know nor care about what style brakes or on the thing.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-11-08, 06:40 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
The Pyramid bars can't have a diameter smaller than 7/8" or grips and brake levers won't fit. If you want larger diameter, check the new bars on the Velo Orange site or find some Cinelli Priest bars. Grips and brake levers won't fit them either. You have to use inverse brake levers and wrap the bars.

I looked at the bars again, and realized that what looks weird is how the inside diameter is smaller, compared to a bar that could take a bar end shifter. I was looking at the bars on a mountain bike stem without hand grips installed.

I held them up to the Nishiki and in that context they look okay.