Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Zebrankenko project: complete.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Zebrankenko project: complete.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 10:57 PM
Redline927
asphalt demon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zebrakenko project: complete.

So I picked up a Zebrakenko (10 speed maybe?) from a garage sale for $35. It hadn't been ridden in years. It was a fully functional bike, but I planned on making it a fixed gear. After picking it up and riding it as is for a few days, I stripped it down and started getting it ready for paint.

sorry for crappy cell phone pictures.

I sanded it down pretty good and grinded off and sanded smooth the derailer cable brackets and the rear brake cable bracket. You can notice them in the above picture, and they are no longer here in this one.

Went with a nice orange. Primered, painted, and clear coated.

My wheels finally came in today, so I fitted my chain, installed the wheels, reinstalled the front brake and adjusted it, shortened the super long ugly brake cable, wrapped the bars, shined it up a bit. It's pretty much all done. I need to get the cog and lock ring tightened down by the LBS since I don't have a tool, and it's good to go. Thinking about a new brake lever and a saddle, but that's later on. I'm very happy with how it came out.

Last edited by Redline927; 05-20-08 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-19-08, 10:59 PM
dervish
unofficial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is quite orange
i like it
Old 05-19-08, 11:06 PM
IonSpeedMaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good work
zebra power bro
Old 05-20-08, 08:11 AM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice conversion.
Now either use the outer chainring and push some gear inches, or take it off. You don't need a circular saw blade gashing your leg open when you wreck. While you're at the bike shop getting your cog/lockring tightened, get a set of single-speed chainring bolts ($5 - 6) and the tools to install them (https://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1800687 and and allen wrench).
Old 05-20-08, 12:10 PM
evan_phi
iPwn.

Location: Sackville (School)/Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Bikes: 2004 Norco Wolverine (Blue) set up with Semi-Slicks. Mid-1970's Raleigh, converted to single seed, (soon to be) all white.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyland
Nice conversion.
Now either use the outer chainring and push some gear inches, or take it off. You don't need a circular saw blade gashing your leg open when you wreck. While you're at the bike shop getting your cog/lockring tightened, get a set of single-speed chainring bolts ($5 - 6) and the tools to install them (https://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1800687 and and allen wrench).
unfortunatey, from how it looks, it is the same situation as my Raleigh conversion. The inner ring is bolted to the outer ring, so unless he gets new cranks, you're stuck with the big ring.

edit: unless, of course, you want to get into some creative work with a mini-grinder... which I am thinking of...
Old 05-20-08, 12:18 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I've seen a conversion where they ground the teeth off the big ring and turned it into a bashguard.
Old 05-20-08, 01:13 PM
Redline927
asphalt demon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evan_phi
unfortunatey, from how it looks, it is the same situation as my Raleigh conversion. The inner ring is bolted to the outer ring, so unless he gets new cranks, you're stuck with the big ring.

edit: unless, of course, you want to get into some creative work with a mini-grinder... which I am thinking of...
That's exactly right. I could get creative with the dremel, but I think that won't really make it look any better. Maybe if I get bored on a rainy day.

What do you guys think about running the outer (52t) chainring? I have a 16t cog. It would be slower accel/ higher top speed, correct? If I did that, I could remove the inner 45t chainring.
Old 05-20-08, 01:53 PM
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%

Bikes: Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Removing the inner ring might lead to tacoing if the outer ring is weak,so take a close look first.Keeping the 16t with 52 might be a bit steep,but if you use a 19t you'll be close to the same ratio
How's your chainline now? If it's good on the inner,the outer may not work unless you get lucky flippin' the spindle.

Last edited by Build your own; 05-20-08 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 02:10 PM
Nims
Square-o-dynamic

Bikes: something fixed, something broken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyland
Nice conversion.
Why is the danger of the outer chainring any greater than on a road bike?
Old 05-20-08, 02:18 PM
Live2Die
?que?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just save up for a month and get some new cranks. I got a cheap pair of Pake's with a chainring for $45 at my LBS for one of my beaters. They are not great but they work for a beater.
Old 05-20-08, 06:42 PM
Redline927
asphalt demon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never even ridden a fixed bike before other than a friends 100 feet down the road. I need to put some miles on this thing and see how it feels before I start sinking more money into it. The $45 cranks sound like a good deal though. Will take a look next time I'm there.

Just bought a U lock for this thing today...
Old 05-20-08, 06:44 PM
hxzero
Needs to Ride More

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nims
Why is the danger of the outer chainring any greater than on a road bike?
Because the cranks keep spinning when you crash, unlike a road bike in which the freewheel lets the cranks stay put or move less as you fall? that's just what I thought.
Old 05-20-08, 11:12 PM
Redline927
asphalt demon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I crash on this thing, the crank is probably the least of my worries.
Old 05-21-08, 02:24 AM
johnh289

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice fixie!!! i really dig the color!!

i actually got a zebrakenko about 4 years ago at a garage sale for about the same price! its not a fixie, i use it for day to day riding, but i did just get a raleigh frame from a friend for free and im turning that into a fixed gear.

i also noticed you have the vuelta wheelset on there! how do you like it?
Old 05-21-08, 10:02 AM
Nims
Square-o-dynamic

Bikes: something fixed, something broken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hxzero
Because the cranks keep spinning when you crash, unlike a road bike in which the freewheel lets the cranks stay put or move less as you fall? that's just what I thought.
Yeah that doesn't really make sense to me honestly.

For the cranks to be spinning, the wheel would still be spinning which I'm not sure makes sense logistically if you've crashed...

Also, the cranks/pedals would be spinning and they would hit you before you could get cut by the "sawblade" chainring.

I suppose it's possible in the literal sense of the word, but unlikely for sure.

IMHO it's really a non-issue other than aesthetics.

Enjoy the bike!
Old 05-21-08, 04:17 PM
Redline927
asphalt demon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the feedback. I put about 10 miles on the bike today, and it rides awesome. Very fun.