Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Great deal on Dahon Hammerhead 7.0 (UK)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Great deal on Dahon Hammerhead 7.0 (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 02:16 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, it surprised me somewhat no pedals, but am I alone in not having them?

Anyway, I went for MKS-FD6's, will post a pic when I have them fitted....
Old 05-21-08, 03:11 AM
cyclistjohn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gringo_gus
Yes, it surprised me somewhat no pedals, but am I alone in not having them?

Anyway, I went for MKS-FD6's, will post a pic when I have them fitted....
Apparently, it's normal for "high end" bicycles to be supplied without pedals.

I need a new pair to which I can fix Zefal toe clips. Where did you buy your FD6's from please?
Old 05-21-08, 04:53 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cyclistjohn, I bought them online fromwww.cyclestore.co.uk £22.99, though whether this is cheaper than elsewhere (around £26) when you factor in postage (£4 on top) is not clear.

On the I-beam, I am trying to shift the saddle back a bit, but am having trouble just shifting the bolt. It is lefty-loosy (ie anticlockwise to loosen?), right?
Old 05-21-08, 05:03 AM
cyclistjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyclistjohn, I bought them online fromwww.cyclestore.co.uk £22.99, though whether this is cheaper than elsewhere (around £26) when you factor in postage (£4 on top) is not clear.

On the I-beam, I am trying to shift the saddle back a bit, but am having trouble just shifting the bolt. It is lefty-loosy (ie anticlockwise to loosen?), right?
Ok, thanks.

Yes, normal anti-clockwise to undo. Some suppliers really lace up bolts far too tight, so you might find a strong tube, say an old bike steel seat tube, slid over the Allen key helps.
Old 05-21-08, 08:40 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine arrived today, ordered Sunday. Cripes! It's a lot of bike for the money. Really nice.

Matt finish Shark Grey. The 'grommets' are held in two circular plastic packing pieces fitted on the end of the front wheel hub. Don't toss them. Comes with allen key tool, and a little bottle of touch up paint that was dried up. I can't ride the bike at the mo as I don't have a Presta pump for the valves. Duh. Ya don't get no pedals with it. Stole them off my Speed D7.

Gears more or less setup, front brake has to be fitted and the pads reversed as the caliper goes behind the front wheel fork. Am I wrong?

Also has tapped holes for a bottle cage.

Lovely bike. I need a pump NOW!

And a sidestand to stop the paint getting chewed... But that adds weight.....

It's not a folder, by the way.

Last edited by snafu21; 05-21-08 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-21-08, 10:55 AM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pix:

note ferlat tyres...

Sue
Old 05-21-08, 11:33 AM
cyclistjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
pix:

Sue

Very nice Sue.

Are you *sure* you don't have a Presta fitting in your existing pump? Most recent mini pumps have a reversible inner bit of plastic that will fit a Presta. Worth a check? Any biker friends who might have one?

You've got about 1 hour of daylight left to try it ;-)

john
Old 05-21-08, 12:41 PM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclistjohn
Very nice Sue.

Are you *sure* you don't have a Presta fitting in your existing pump? Most recent mini pumps have a reversible inner bit of plastic that will fit a Presta. Worth a check? Any biker friends who might have one?

You've got about 1 hour of daylight left to try it ;-)

john

Danke. Ripped into the car boot and pulled the end off a foot pump, got about 60PSI in the tyres. Fiddled with the gears a bit more and set off into the wild blue yonder. Did twice as far as I normally do in an hour - love those Flight Deck Shifters! Bike very comfortable for me, saddle ok for an hour.

My pump is a Topeak MasterBlaster - supposed to do either valve - I'll try again now I got some air in the tubes..

"The Master Blaster Deluxe Mini Pump is one of the smallest pumps available - The innovative Smarthead automatically adjusts to presta or schraeder valves so you don't need to worry about losing the adapter piece commonly found on other air pumps."

Yeah, right.. I'll get an adaptor and plug my electric pump onto the Prestas tomorrow.

Hammerheads rule ! Yay! I quite like the Truvativ cranks:

"Truvativ have the passion and resources to create components that are capable of satiating the most fanatical gram-counting climbers to the most fearless cliff-hucking gravity junkies."

Erm. That's me, then..

Last edited by snafu21; 05-21-08 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 02:51 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just can't get over the price.

What's the catch? I've been trained to believe that there is no free lunch. This seems to come with free breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old 05-21-08, 03:05 PM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvilV
I just can't get over the price.

What's the catch? I've been trained to believe that there is no free lunch. This seems to come with free breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The catch is they just sold out. Hammerhead is gone from Winstanleys web site....
Old 05-22-08, 01:09 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sold out but someone is selling one - boxed, new on UK ebay....

maybe someone thought they could buy from winstanleys and sell on.

wonder if the grommets are there
Old 05-22-08, 01:13 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am awaiting new pedals and then will post my pic.

But it is a lovely bike to ride. When I was about 19 I bought a Claude Butler road bike from a mate for a tenner (that was in the days when a tenner was a lot of money, hoho),and had it for about 8 years before it was nicked in Leeds. It was my first love bikewise - light, accelerated like stink, felt like it could be part of me.

The hammerhead is the first bike I have had since then that really has that feel. I like it, see. Whether I could ever be as thin as I was back in the day is another story....
Old 05-22-08, 01:29 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The hammerhead is the first bike I have had since then that really has that feel. I like it, see. Whether I could ever be as thin as I was back in the day is another story....
This might affect your ability to accelerate like 'stink' in the way you used to on the Claude Butler.

Have fun when the pedals arrive. I think you must be more patient than I am if you can wait for mail order pedals in these circumstances. I'd have put on my trainers and run around to the LBS with a bunch of sweaty notes in my hand within ten minutes of the bike's arrival.

Old 05-22-08, 04:16 AM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

But it is a lovely bike to ride. When I was about 19 I bought a Claude Butler road bike from a mate for a tenner (that was in the days when a tenner was a lot of money, hoho),and had it for about 8 years before it was nicked in Leeds. It was my first love bikewise - light, accelerated like stink, felt like it could be part of me.

Yes, much the same here. My first bike was an Amstrong frame I scrounged, then begged bits for. I ended up with lots of Campagnolo bits from somewhere. Fixed gear too! Had it a year, then replaced the brake pads and put them in the wrong way. Went down a steep hill, and interfaced with a lamp post after the brake blocks shot out from the shoes. Goodbye cycling career. Aged 11.

The Hammerhead is fast and nimble- and today I finally got the tyres up to 100psi. Woot.

Go steal some pedals, Gus. That bike needs to be ridden... :-)
Old 05-22-08, 04:24 AM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sold out but someone is selling one - boxed, new on UK ebay....

maybe someone thought they could buy from winstanleys and sell on.

wonder if the grommets are there

'Laralonglegs' of North London is flipping that Hammerhead 7 on Thiefbay. Lots of bids, up to £185 today. The vendor is a purveyor of counterfeit DVD's so - not a bicyclist then...

There's a Cambridge bike shop selling HH7's for £488.00

Spare grommets will be £399.00 each by the end of the month....

Positive comment: Put a Cateye pooter on the bike, and got the tyres whacked up to 3 bar+.

Bloke in LBS quizzical when asked for a couple of spare 20" x 1 1/8th" toobs. "Wassat for?" he asked. I told him. He wasn't amused because I nearly bought a Giant road bike off him last week, but, being an LBS he was a bit pricey. So, I uh, held off.

I know the local guys can't compete with internet box shifters, but there's no reason why they can't do the same..

What am I? His mother?

--

Sue

Last edited by snafu21; 05-22-08 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 04:53 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Bloke in LBS quizzical when asked for a couple of spare 20" x 1 1/8th" toobs.
Better be careful here. These might very well not fit. For 406mm wheels, you want decimal inches, eg 20x1.25". For 451 wheels, you want fractional inches as in your post.

Aaaargh... plastic sticker... must pull off... can't resist...
Old 05-22-08, 05:08 AM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Aaaargh... plastic sticker... must pull off... can't resist... "'

I wondered where all the extra weight was coming from...

Thanks for dope on toobs. Box says they fit 406's . Hmmmm. I got a puncture kit too, for when they don't.

--

Sue
Old 05-22-08, 06:16 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Aaaargh... plastic sticker... must pull off... can't resist...
I am aflicted with this disease too! It's a draw as strong as the dark side of the force...
I even get a little tetchy when I run out of the petrol lighter fluid I use for accomplishing it. I wonder if the syndrome has a name...

"Hi I'm a De-decaloholic - I see you've left the Sale-Price sticker on the front of that CD...Oh Nooooes!... Must...peel...."

Seems I'm the only one who didn't get one of these bikes in the sale! I was very tempted but I have enough bikes (and ongoing projects). If I'd had a few drinks the night it was posted I'd probably have one by now.
Old 05-22-08, 07:37 AM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
I wonder if the syndrome has a name...

"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder."

You get obsessed with something, then you're compelled to do it.. Leave the stickers alone - they're not hurting you....

OR... Your'e addicted to lighter fuel.

"Seems I'm the only one who didn't get one of these bikes in the sale! I was very tempted but I have enough bikes (and ongoing projects). If I'd had a few drinks the night it was posted I'd probably have one by now."

I bought one and I don't drink. For ***'s sake, please nobody don't post no more pix of desirable scoots...

There's one being flipped on Ebay. I can't imagine anyone from this thread buying it, though..
Old 05-22-08, 09:20 AM
Fear&Trembling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My HH 7.0 is runing well. The suspension is a bit soft when you're out of the saddle and the bike feels a bit squirelly when dancing on the pedals, but not too bad at all. Good for cruising along.

I got a new carbon seatpost, saddle, rear tyre and pedals. I will fit some drops next month and take a pic.
Old 05-22-08, 09:45 AM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fear&Trembling
My HH 7.0 is runing well. The suspension is a bit soft when you're out of the saddle and the bike feels a bit squirelly when dancing on the pedals, but not too bad at all. Good for cruising along.

I got a new carbon seatpost, saddle, rear tyre and pedals. I will fit some drops next month and take a pic.
F&T: How well do you feel the gearing works? I kinda get to 20mph on my speedo in 'top' and think I could go with a larger chainring. Then I think 'how many times do I do 20mph+?" and concentrate and riding back home.

I haven't done that dancing on the pedals thing yet.

--
Sue
Old 05-22-08, 10:11 AM
mroli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm. very jealous of all these people riding their bikes. I tried to sort out the gears on mine last night and educate myself in the ways of the front derailler. Think I may have to take it to a bike shop as my tinkering appears to have made it a LOT worse!!! Bit worried re the 20 mph thing though - I get my MU up to that speed a fair bit (downhill behind buses!) and want better perfomance from the HH!
Old 05-22-08, 11:05 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mroli
Hmmm. very jealous of all these people riding their bikes. I tried to sort out the gears on mine last night and educate myself in the ways of the front derailler. Think I may have to take it to a bike shop as my tinkering appears to have made it a LOT worse!!! Bit worried re the 20 mph thing though - I get my MU up to that speed a fair bit (downhill behind buses!) and want better perfomance from the HH!
The gear inch range of both bikes are almost identical, so the top speed (and lowest gear hill climbing speed) at the same cadence will be nearly the same, although the gear ratios will be much closer on the HH as it's packed the same gear inches within 18 gears..
Old 05-22-08, 11:17 AM
snafu21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mroli
Don't worry about it. My bike pooter is new and uncalibrated - I just used the default setting. My 20mph could be somebody else's 30.... And - I had a tailwind on the ride home.

That front derallieur, mine was ok out of the box but the high limit screw was slightly out. Wouldn't go onto the large chainring. So I unscrewed it one turn, and all is ok.

You'll love the bike - it accelerates like a thing that, er, accelerates... Those FlightDeck shifters- it's like being on the Tour De France, already.
Old 05-22-08, 11:33 AM
asha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi
I'm brand new to this forum. I too was drawn in by the pretty pictures. My HH arrived a few days ago. I'm itching to get on the thing and ride, but can't seem to find the grommets for the front hub. Can anyone out there help me out and post a pic of the plastic piece it comes attached to?

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.