Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Allergies and commuting -- just kill me now

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Allergies and commuting -- just kill me now

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 10:34 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
With the neti pot, do you have to tip your head back and pour the water in? I've been using a squirt bottle and wonder which is better.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-08, 10:41 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylox
Zyrtec is now OTC and generic (almost half the cost). I currently use prescription nasal allergy spray (used to use flonase, now it is Atrovent) and combine that with Zyrtec during the more heavy pollen months (e.g. right now). Even though I have to take 2-3 Zyrtec, it is still cheaper than getting a new prescription.

I definitely +1 to nasal irrigation (Neti Pot). It took me a few years to try it because it always looked funny, but once I tried it, I was hooked. You really don't feel it and notice the difference immediately.
Same exact routine except I use the prescription zyrtec which is zysol. Cant stress the neti pot nasal rinse enough..its unusual at first but really works.
Old 05-29-08, 10:42 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
With the neti pot, do you have to tip your head back and pour the water in? I've been using a squirt bottle and wonder which is better.

Any thoughts?
Keep your head lower than your throat or you will choke.
Old 05-29-08, 11:00 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
See, that's why I got the squirt bottle. It lets me lean over the sink.
Old 05-29-08, 11:09 AM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the squirt bottle as well. I use neilmeds. They have premixed packets for us lazy folks like me.
https://www.unimedprod.com/
Old 06-01-08, 04:35 AM
apocalypse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have terrible allergies, to the point I would miss work. I started taking Claritin and Nasalcrom, then Zyrtec and Nasonex, and a whole host of other things as nothing had lasting results. Benadryl was the most effective for me and cost less than the others as well (no drowsiness for me with Benadryl either).

I calculated that I spent more per year of allergy medications that only treated the problem. I started immunotherapy (allergy shots) and every year my allergy symptoms are more mild, and I spend less on them than the medications.

For me, it was more cost effective and logical to try to rid myself of allergies than to keep treating their symptoms. Find an allergist and get started, as next year you may not even have allergies.
Old 06-01-08, 08:29 AM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I have the squirt bottle as well. I use neilmeds. They have premixed packets for us lazy folks like me.
https://www.unimedprod.com/
After several years of traditional neti pot use, I have recently started using the Neilmed squirt bottle as well. LOVE IT!

I know most people abhor the thought of water going up their nose, I don't know of anyone who has tried a neti pot without being a champion of it.