Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 10:13 AM
la02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour of California 2009???

So I have been thinking about this and was wondering if anyone is interested. I am thinking about partaking in the road course of the TOC for next winter. I plan on riding the exact course the pros ride, but ride it before they get on the course each day. I think it would be something that would be great fun and very enjoyable. I have not gone over any of the details or anything to that matter, but I was trying to see if anyone was interested in doing this with me. I was planning on making a vacation out of this while doing the Tour. If anyone has any interest ideas let me know and maybe we can start training and actually do this together next Feb. Ride On!
Old 06-06-08, 11:15 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, but there are so many logistical details to chase and sort through . . . Still, if you're studious enough to wade through it all, you could probably put a good tour group together.

Were you planning on doing this with the approval of the Tour De CA, or just on your own?

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-06-08, 03:17 PM
ANK
Ride hard.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am too slow. The racers would catch up to me even if I started a day before them.
Old 06-10-08, 03:15 PM
la02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i do plan on sorting out all the details. i figure it would be best to ride each morning before the riders start the stage as the roads will most likely already be blocked off and it will make for an easier ride. however if this is done we will need to figure out how to transport everything from city to city, how many riders would want to do this, can we actually do this on the day of the race, etc. i just want to get a foundation of riders willing to try this out and get some interest in this before i go through all the research only to find out i may have to do it on my own etc. i hope some interest starts to generate on this. i also heard that they might want to change the dates due to the nasty weather from this years race.
Old 06-10-08, 03:47 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you sure there is going to be a TOC 2009?
Old 06-15-08, 10:01 PM
bbp
hooray for spring

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Are you sure there is going to be a TOC 2009?
Yes
Old 06-18-08, 02:22 PM
westlafadeaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a newb, have no idae what this is all about, but why don't you contact the org and ask if they can do an amateur ride? Let the pros start and then the amateurs...
Old 06-19-08, 01:38 AM
bbp
hooray for spring

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're not going to close the route for an additional 12 hours so amateurs can ride it. Riding it before is a good idea.
Old 06-19-08, 03:21 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The road courses are not closed for very long either. I was a Marshall last year and the cars were kept off the road for less then 20 minutes. The city or state police will force you off the road too when they find you. Just start at dawn, go until the rolling road block catches up with you, watch them go by, then meet up with someone with a motor vehicle to run you to the finish. No problems with riding the closed circuits in towns. They stay closed for a couple of hours.