Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

any Kidztandem riders out there?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 07:26 PM
Blythe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently came upon this bike while looking on the internet for transporatation options for me and my two kids (ages 3 and a baby):

https://www.browncycles.com/tandems.htm

My 3 year old currently rides up front in an ibert safety seat, and really seems to enjoy being up front for two reasons: enjoying the scenery and talking with her mother. This bike seems like a way for her to graduate safely from the ibert into a more interactive role, but still enjoy the things she loves about biking. Also, I feel like I might be more comfortable with her in front of me where I can see her when she is first learning the ins and outs of riding a bike rather than being a passive passenger. (We live in the country on a 45 mph road that sees a lot of bike traffic, but is in no way safe for a child to ride by herself.) Also, I could put my baby in a seat on the back (when he is a year old) and we could all 3 ride together.

However, this bike is much more expensive than a trail-a-bike, a trailer, or even an xtracycle freeradical. So I am looking for first hand experiences of this bike to see if it is worth further invesitgation. (The closest dealer to me is about 5 and a half hours away, so invesitgating it first-hand will be rather involved.) I would love to know about your experiences with this bike, especially as it compares with some other ways I could transport/ ride with two small children. I am intersted in safety, comfort, quality of interaction, and fun.

Thank you for your help.
Old 08-03-08, 02:17 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 467 Posts
That's pretty neat. i have semi-recumbent tadem, my fiancee and I have approx. 600 miles loggd on it.

I've also carried some neighbors children and hadicaped/blind riders during local cherity events on my tandem:

The handling gets some used to, just like any bike or tandem, but the overall length of the semi-recumbent tandem is shorter than regular tandem, more agile, slightly less weight, easier to transport.

PM me if you might be interested in a semi-recumbent tandem.
Old 08-03-08, 03:31 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have seen the Browns Kidz tandem at Interbike when it was introuced at the bike show a few years ago in Las Vegas.
A quality built machine, steered from the rear with kid(z) pedaling up front. A very niche within a niche tandem but it would serve you for several years and several kidz.
As far as quality tandems goes, it is not that pricey. Tandems range all the way up to $13,000+ . . . yes thirteen thousand plus $$$.
An investment in family TWOgetherness!
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 08-03-08, 03:33 PM
simsi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a Bike Friday tandem traveller with my 4 year old and can put the Rhode gear seat on the back for my 18 month old. Great fun, until Dad has to engage lowest gear to get up the hills!
Ian
Old 08-03-08, 03:49 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
kidztandem

Kidztandem photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BrownsKidzTandem.jpg (18.0 KB, 19 views)