Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Can you lose fat with just biking

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Can you lose fat with just biking

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 12:27 AM
gyung

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Team Pro, 2007 Trek 7.5 FX LiveSTRONG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
Just get out and ride. If you don't think you look and feel better after your first 1500 miles, stop immediately and never touch a bike again.

PS, I'm confident that if you do ever quit biking, it won't be for the reason listed above.

Seriously, start by riding 30 to 50 miles a week. Within a month or two, build up to 100 miles per week. And if you can find the time, build up to 200 miles per week. (I never have that kind of time). About the time you find yourself regularly riding 75 to 120 miles per week, you'll discover that your legs look stronger than they ever have before (because they ARE). You may not even remember the last time your gut was so small. You will be healthier. You will find that your daily activities no longer wear you out. You will look at everyone around you and think, "I know HE can't ride as far as I rode yesterday."

Just get out and ride.
For me, this is spot on =) I don't have the time to bike more than 70~ miles a week, but I will swim 2~3x's for at least 50 minutes a session.

Also, I eat 1/2 a energy bar before and during, and dinner within 1 hour of exercise, it's worked for me. I shifted when I consume the calories though, so I'm not eating more than before!
Old 08-06-08, 01:48 AM
pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Lots of it. Depends on the intensity and length of the ride. The longer the ride, more than 3 hours, will make you loose fat.

When I started biking again I weighed 225. Now I weight 160 or so. So there is your answer.
Old 08-08-08, 07:38 PM
craigR

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Soho 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely agree with the "get out and ride" approach, and cycling is a terrific way to lose weight and promote a healthy lifestyle, but remember to enjoy it... Try not to look at it as exercise or a means to and end... It's a bike, have a blast. I guess my point is, live in the now and enjoy the ride each and every time you go out.
Old 08-09-08, 03:23 PM
Sjared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Lots of it. Depends on the intensity and length of the ride. The longer the ride, more than 3 hours, will make you loose fat.
I don't have more than three hours a day to ride.
Are you saying that 3 hours are necessary for any fat loss to occurr?
Old 08-09-08, 03:50 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calories in < Calories out + Exercise = Safe weight loss. You can get away with a 60%/20%/20% (carb, prot, fat) diet and lose fat safely. It really is that simple.

If you haven't counted calories before, start doing it now. Count EVERYTHING - if you want to get super meticulous (not necessary, but advantageous), do it and get a digital metric scale and count by the grams. It's the best (not only) way to figure out all the extra calories you're eating that you would forget otherwise. Those extra calories are typically the "little things" that add up and negate what you think is a 300-500 calorie/day deficit.
Old 08-09-08, 08:23 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've lost about 30 pounds from cycling alone. I would have to do more work to lose the little flab that I have left, but I'm not worry about it too much (I'm at about 10% body weight, when I should be at 6%, ideally).

To lose weight more efficiently, you have to ride slower and longer.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 08-10-08, 10:50 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
Calories in < Calories out + Exercise = Safe weight loss. You can get away with a 60%/20%/20% (carb, prot, fat) diet and lose fat safely. It really is that simple.

If you haven't counted calories before, start doing it now. Count EVERYTHING - if you want to get super meticulous (not necessary, but advantageous), do it and get a digital metric scale and count by the grams. It's the best (not only) way to figure out all the extra calories you're eating that you would forget otherwise. Those extra calories are typically the "little things" that add up and negate what you think is a 300-500 calorie/day deficit.
Personally, I've found it much easier and more helpful to count portions instead of calories. Portion awareness helps me deal with the problem of ever larger serving sizes in restaurants. I don't need any scales, tables or even calculators to count portions. After a couple weeks of practice, I didn't even have to record my portions--it was easy to keep track in my head as the day progressed. Also, it's easier to determine or plan your intake if you track portions instead of calories.

The Portion Teller is a good resource to get started.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-10-08, 10:53 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
210 after quitting smoking to 175 for me. I'm limited on what I can do for exercise with a hip replacement and biking does the trick.
Old 08-10-08, 10:58 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
As to the question "Can you lose fat with just biking?" my answer is No. You also have to eat less, or at least not eat more.

Cycling burns, at the most, about 40 calories per mile. You would have to ride for 87.5 miles to lose one pound of fat--provided that you don't eat more in the form of energy drinks, power bars, protein powder or recovery meals.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-10-08, 11:43 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Cycling burns, at the most, about 40 calories per mile.
While I advocate using the 40 cal/mile for an overall estimate of calories burned, this above statement is totally wrong. There are a lot of people that are going to be burning over (sometimes well over) 40 cal/mile - especially those riding shorter/more intense rides as the larger staple of their repertoire.