Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sparking BL36 controller

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Sparking BL36 controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 07:47 PM
nb141fd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sparking BL36 controller

We'll I bit the bullet and got a Wilderness Energy BL36 front hub kit today. I got it all together and noticed that I got a small spark when I connected the battery pack to the controller. I thought only the BD36's sparked when connected to the controller. Then I noticed that whether the controller switch was 'on' the 'off' position the lights on the throttle and the controller remained the same (on). It also sparked when being connected regardless of the switch (O or I) setting. The throttle works fine and the bike runs like a champ, but obviously to turn it off I have to disconnect the battery. I checked the picture of the controller on the manual pamphlet and it appears that I have the right (Brushless) model for my kit. Any ideas on what the problem might be? I will contact the seller tomorrow but I thought it might be a case of 'operator error' and I would check this forum for help tonight. Thanks, Tony
Old 08-20-08, 10:23 PM
leamcorp

Bikes: Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nb141fd
We'll I bit the bullet and got a Wilderness Energy BL36 front hub kit today. I got it all together and noticed that I got a small spark when I connected the battery pack to the controller. I thought only the BD36's sparked when connected to the controller. Then I noticed that whether the controller switch was 'on' the 'off' position the lights on the throttle and the controller remained the same (on). It also sparked when being connected regardless of the switch (O or I) setting. The throttle works fine and the bike runs like a champ, but obviously to turn it off I have to disconnect the battery. I checked the picture of the controller on the manual pamphlet and it appears that I have the right (Brushless) model for my kit. Any ideas on what the problem might be? I will contact the seller tomorrow but I thought it might be a case of 'operator error' and I would check this forum for help tonight. Thanks, Tony
Thats normal, they all do that - doesn't matter brush/brushless.
Old 08-20-08, 11:11 PM
nb141fd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, good to know. What do you think about the fact that I get lights on both the controller and thumb throttle regardless of the position of the on-off switch on the controller?
Old 08-21-08, 08:08 AM
Matt821

Bikes: Trek 820 converted to e-power BL36, cheapy Columbia mountain bike for non-electric putzing around and occasional commute.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I turn the conroller off (Brushless version), the lights go out on my throttle. Since there is no key, I disconnect power when not using at the batteries anyway just as a safety precaution.
Old 08-21-08, 08:21 AM
nb141fd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Matt, I think something is wrong with my controller. I assumed that no power would be going to the throttle when the controller was in the "OFF" position. Mine shows lights on both the controller and the thumb throttle no matter what position the "ON/OFF" switch at the controller is in. When in the "OFF" position, do you show any lights at the controller? Thanks again, Tony.
Old 08-21-08, 02:10 PM
riper1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you sure you have the key switch pluged into the right connectors
Old 08-21-08, 02:53 PM
Matt821

Bikes: Trek 820 converted to e-power BL36, cheapy Columbia mountain bike for non-electric putzing around and occasional commute.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I turn off the controller that light goes out too (or it 2 lights?). Do you have power to the wheel when you hit the throttle with the controller turned off? That would be bad--guess a faulty speed controller.
Old 08-21-08, 06:15 PM
nb141fd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem solved, according to WE I had a bad controller. Got an exchange and the new one not only does not spark when the battery is connected (if the controller switch is in the off position), but it only shows lights at the controller and the thumb throttle when the controller switch is "ON". Thanks for the replys.
Old 08-22-08, 06:10 AM
Matt821

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to here you got it resolved. Don't be surprised if you do get a spark now and then, if the capacitors don't already have a charge, they will draw current quickly creating the spark. I changed to Deans connectors from the stock ones because of the possibility of shorting the battery back leads on each other. My 3 year old son touched the charged leads to the power leads on the battery pack and the connector basically exploded in his face and burned his finger pretty badly.