Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My first on the road tubular puncture/repair in 15 years...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 12:42 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

Occurred 30 miles into the Nyack Ride on Sunday. It did take me a while to figure out how to strip the glued Conti Sprinter off the Zipp 404, and then some more time to successfully stretch and mount (not glue) the cheaper Conti spare sew-up, but once I managed that, it inflated with CO2 and I completed the course solo (another hour + of riding) with no further incident.

I've been riding once or twice a week on the road with that spare tubie wondering how it would go if I got a flat, and it was no problem. That was pretty cool. The only problem is I have to buy another Conti Sprinter. But $200 annually to replace blown sew-ups is worth it for the advantages the sew-ups provide for competitive rides (for me). I generally only race or do competitive rides like Nyack with them, maybe I'll train on them around here a couple of times each month.
Old 09-01-08, 04:43 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe if you rode more?
Old 09-01-08, 04:54 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by NomadVW
Maybe if you rode more?
I'll have to increase the 12,000+ miles annually just to keep you happy.

Road Nazi whackos.
Old 09-01-08, 06:03 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 197 Posts
35 years ago when I used to squirt a little glue onto my Fiamme rims and put on a tire without further thought, it was easy to pull a tire off on the road. Now that I'm following written installation procedures with multiple coats of glue, I've wondered how I would get a tire off on the road. I've started carrying a plastic tire iron just in case I have trouble getting a tire off my Gigantex rim. Did you need to use a tool to pry the tire off?
Old 09-01-08, 06:54 AM
MadCowMoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
35 years ago when I used to squirt a little glue onto my Fiamme rims and put on a tire without further thought, it was easy to pull a tire off on the road. Now that I'm following written installation procedures with multiple coats of glue, I've wondered how I would get a tire off on the road. I've started carrying a plastic tire iron just in case I have trouble getting a tire off my Gigantex rim. Did you need to use a tool to pry the tire off?
That tool may be of little use ripping off a well glued on tubular. First you have to break it free with just the strength in your
thumbs and some good old fashion cussing. But after getting around 10 inches loose you can tear the rest off in seconds.

Last edited by MadCowMoo; 09-01-08 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-01-08, 08:34 AM
wideAMG
Senior Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tubulars are great.

they flat alot less than clinchers and clinchers cannot match the ride and rolling resistance of tubulars, although they are getting close.

i also flatted out my 6-year old tubulars on a group ride and after i yelled flat and the group stopped they were all surprised how fast i had the old tubular off and new one on. i carry the tufo glue tape for road repairs. a couple of stretches a CO2 and off you go. no tools no wait.

the high-end wheels and pros still use them but in-stock availability is challenging. only my high-end store carries them. i find the $29 cheapos are heavy and will flat more.

i'm also running the conti sprinter black chilli
Old 09-01-08, 08:52 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

The tire lever did nothing for me. It was all kneading the tire with my thumbs and coaxing it off, it took a while, it wasn't that easy, but I got it. I mainly race with tubies, and in about 16 months riding/racing them again, and several punctures, this is the first that happened on the open road (not a race) that required me to use my spare. Tubulars are superior in most respects, I agree. But they are truly a massive pain in the ass. That's why I only race and do competitive rides with them. Worth the hassle for the performance, but I would never use them for daily riding.
Old 09-01-08, 08:54 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wideAMG
clinchers cannot match the ... rolling resistance of tubulars, although they are getting close.
Actually, they've passed them in great part: https://www.biketechreview.com/tires/...sting_rev7.pdf

Can't vouch for the other assertions.
Old 09-01-08, 08:56 AM
Naterider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish that I was cool enough for tubulars. If it was possible for me to ride tubulars on the Nyack ride my life would be complete.
Old 09-01-08, 09:27 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Heh, I had two flats on a 26 mile ride yesterday. Rode the last 7 miles on a flat rear clincher (very very slowly) and then walked the last 3 miles home barefoot.

I think I need new rim tape. Bleh...
Old 09-01-08, 09:46 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tubulars are great.
clinchers cannot match the ride and rolling resistance of tubulars, although they are getting close.
1994 called and they want their theories back.

Last edited by cslone; 09-01-08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-01-08, 10:10 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
and clinchers cannot match the ride and rolling resistance of tubulars,
Best clinchers around are equal if not already better than the best tubulars. There's no reason why anyone should be riding backwards technology on the road anymore in a non-race situation. Time to join the 21st century.