Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

20 year old Austro Daimler project... Getting done

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 09:33 PM
hz536n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 11-18-04, 11:24 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very cool. How's it ride? Does that one have a more "square" measurement? I have 3 ADs and they all have really long top tubes compared to their seat tube measurements... Takes some getting used to.

Here's my Superleicht:
Old 11-19-04, 08:13 AM
hz536n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. It is a 53 cm AD SLE with Reynolds 531 tubing. I don't know if it's "square". It has always been very quick steering and a bit rough over any pavement irregularities. But it is rolling very nicely now. I've owned it since new and finally got the bug to ride again...
In the clean up I started to realize some parts were beyond help. So then the upgrade process began. I found out, several times the hard way, almost none of the new stuff fits the 1980s era bikes.
I have installed new Mavic MA3 wheels on Shimamo 105 hubs on Michelin Axial 700X20 tires, Shimano Uniglide freewheel and 14-32 6 speed cassette, Shimano 600 53/42 crankset (165 mm crank length) and Shimano long reach R600 brake calipers, Brooks B17 saddle, all new cables.
I retained the original Huret derailleurs and downtube friction shifters and the remaining older upgrades from about 15 years ago; seat post and MKS pedals.
The combination of the 165 cranks and the Brooks saddle is a happy one for me. The shifting is smooth, the braking is confident and I am riding more often. What else is there?
Old 11-19-04, 08:45 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two beauty AD's. I have two Puchs built up, one's my daily commuter. I also have an AD Ultima frameset waiting for me to get wealthy & build up. Someday...

Here's the commuter:
Old 11-19-04, 10:21 AM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great bikes guys! It's good to see some interest in the Puch/AD bikes. They're so nicely made, I'm surprised there isn't a bigger following for them. I've had a couple of early Ulitmas (the late '70s purple), but neither was my size, and I sold 'em off. I now have the Superleicht above (a bit small, but a keeper) a Vent Noir (first version with black DA), and a later red/gold Ultima ('80?) thats built with a gold Galli group. They're all beautifully made frames. Sure would be cool to see some other folks Puch & AD bike pics posted up here...
Old 11-20-04, 11:59 AM
hz536n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I would like to see your Puch/AD bikes and framesets. I hope to someday find an Ultima frameset hanging in a bike shop.

Old 02-06-05, 05:13 PM
rlbeauh

Bikes: AD Ultima, Trek 2300 Pro Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a late 70's AD Ultima (purple), all Super Record, for sale. It's a 21-incher (seat tube). I don't ride it anymore, and would entertain reasonable offers (i.e., I won't just give it away). I'd prefer to sell the complete bike, rather than part it out, but I need to get rid of some bikes.
Old 02-06-05, 06:04 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Great looking bike, hz -- but for the love of Pete, get rid of that blue cable casing; it draws the eye away from everything else on the bike.
Old 02-06-05, 06:37 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rlbeauh
If anyone is interested, I have a late 70's AD Ultima (purple), all Super Record, for sale. It's a 21-incher (seat tube). I don't ride it anymore, and would entertain reasonable offers (i.e., I won't just give it away). I'd prefer to sell the complete bike, rather than part it out, but I need to get rid of some bikes.
Very cool bike! Is that a series 1 Super rear derailleur with a Rally cage?
Old 02-06-05, 07:47 PM
hz536n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The blue cable was a change from the old white cables. Any other cable color suggestions? I also considered clear for a silver look.
I'm still not sure about the green tires, but they ride well and they were cheap as they are last year's model.
The front and rear derailleurs are Huret, stock on the AD. The rear is the long cage Huret Duo-Par model. Never had a bit of a problem with either one, even with a newer Shimano freewheel/gearset and the 53/42 Shimano 600 crankset.
I have since gone back to steel MKS toe clips with tan leather straps for the 15 year old MKS platform pedals. Last piece in was a NOS Sachs PC80R hollow link chain.
Old 02-07-05, 03:02 AM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Any other cable color suggestions?

I'd go with a tan or brown; something subdued that would harmonize with the hoods and saddle. The tires and tape are all the loud color that bike can handle.
Old 02-07-05, 06:29 AM
Puchultima

Bikes: more than 40 classic steel road bikes, all top 3 bikes of puch from the years 1978 till 1986, Top of the Line Simplon bikes, one CAPO and several italian and french road racing bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hy

For the cables I would use silver or gold (NOKON) witch matches the decals
Tires you can use Hutchinson gold comp or standard transparent antrazith
For the handle bar I would use leather like the colore of the saddle (some early ultimas had cinelli handlebars covered with leather)

regards
Manfred
Old 02-07-05, 06:36 AM
Puchultima

Bikes: more than 40 classic steel road bikes, all top 3 bikes of puch from the years 1978 till 1986, Top of the Line Simplon bikes, one CAPO and several italian and french road racing bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just one sample of an old cinelli handle bar covered with leather
Old 02-08-05, 08:19 PM
rlbeauh

Bikes: AD Ultima, Trek 2300 Pro Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it is the original series of Super Record rear derailleurs (patent 75 in this case) with a long cage from when I had a freewheel with a 26 tooth cog on the back. I have since put the original short cage back on. These derailleurs alone have been going for ~$150 on eBay of late.