Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Two types of Shimano Chainrings?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-04, 04:29 PM
hz536n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have installed a Shimano Ultegra 53/42 on my AD that I would like to change to a 53/39 combination. When I look at listings for Shimano Ultegra Chainrings they are listed as either Type-A or Type-B.
What does this mean? I do not see any such markings on my early 1990's NOS Ultegra Crankset. Thanks.
Old 12-04-04, 04:39 PM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's to do with the Hyperglide teeth (or whatever they're called on the front). If you mis-match A&B then the special shift points don't line up right.
Old 12-04-04, 04:58 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
maybe it's to differentiate between the two types of ultegra there are, the huge "newer" style, and the mosre classic looking style.

Maybe those styles are actually older and newer I dunno, but I see two ultegra crankset styles, and one has more metal in the chainrings than the other, or so it seems.
Old 12-04-04, 05:40 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe it has to do with double or triple crankarm spiders.
Old 12-04-04, 07:18 PM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
I believe it has to do with double or triple crankarm spiders.
Nope, those are distinguished by bolt circle... there is no need for another designator.

I believe my original posting was correct. Look at this description for Dura-Ace chainrings from bikenashbar.com

"Replacement chainrings for the 7700 series crankset. Chainrings Available: 39, 42, 52, 53A (mate to the 42), or 53B (mate to the 39)"
Old 12-04-04, 08:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by F1_Fan
I think it's to do with the Hyperglide teeth (or whatever they're called on the front). If you mis-match A&B then the special shift points don't line up right.
Yup, I think so too. I also suspect that it's possible to overstate the amount of difference. I've known several riders who have mixed "A" and "B" chainrings and don't seem to have any difficulty with their front shifting. That's not a shift that you make all that often anyway.
Old 12-05-04, 09:03 AM
hz536n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. so how do I tell if my Ultegra/600 FC-6400 Crankset is Type-A or Type-B?
The papers with the Crankset do not mention anything about it. The Crankset does not have any pins or ramps, just some special shift assist teeth. There is a tab on the inside diameter of each Chainring for alignment purposes.

Old 12-05-04, 09:49 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hz536n
OK. so how do I tell if my Ultegra/600 FC-6400 Crankset is Type-A or Type-B?
The papers with the Crankset do not mention anything about it. The Crankset does not have any pins or ramps, just some special shift assist teeth. There is a tab on the inside diameter of each Chainring for alignment purposes.

If they aren't marked, they aren't either.It doesn't matter. You basically have generic rings. Replace them with similar or pay more for pinned and ramped ones.