Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Winter blues already..........

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 05:40 PM
ricohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I wish it was May again. Riding my bike to work, warm air, summer coming...
Today it was -18 in the morning and windy. No chance of a ride toady and I haven't ridden outside in 9 days. Winter is coming.
Blah
Old 10-27-08, 05:48 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ohh, you're telling me. I got my (first) road bike at the end of summer. So addicting!!

I've been on it two months. Riding home from work last night in thick fog for the first time, I found my baby soaked by the time I got home! I hurriedly (and worriedly) wiped it down, and decided upon seeing grey skies and more fog this morning it was a "beater bike" day.

My beater bike is a 1997 Mongoose "mountain bike." I remember why I hate fat, knobby, chubby, soft tires.

The ride was slow,
the seat was WAY, <u>WAY</u> too soft, and
it took me 45 minutes to get to school, opposed to 25-30 on my Univega.

I felt like apologising to everyone I saw for polluting the bike lanes and eyeballs of everyone with it.

It was a bad day. Hot, exhausting, uncomfortable.

I feel like Icarus without his wings.

I feel your pain.
Old 10-27-08, 05:57 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked 6,846 Times in 2,650 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
I feel like Icarus without his wings.
Well, that's one way to avoid flying into the sun!

Neal
Old 10-27-08, 06:17 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I was pruning and harvesting the apple tree in the back yard. I don't know anything about prunning but I do know the tree was horrendously overgrown. Should have done a ride today but went on a late night jaunt to the velodrome on the fixed gear last night and hammered around the track in the dark, it was a really nice night. I was outside in a t-shirt and pants and breaking a sweat pruning... the rain should be here soon but right now, in the warmest climate in canada we have been blessed with an awesome fall. Sorry rico. I bought a under helmet cap and leg warmers yesterday and today would have been to warm to try them out...
Old 10-27-08, 07:31 PM
ebfixit
Tinkerer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ricohman, I feel your pain. I hadn't been on the bike in a week and intended on riding to work this morning. However, when I stepped out into that -14 or whatever it was I wussed out. Did manage to take the latest winter bike build for her maiden voyage after work. I think she's too nice for a winter beater and may have to piece together something crappier. Anyway, totally off topic there. Sorry. Hey, only 6 more months of winter here in the prairie paradise. Do you ride in the winter?
Old 10-27-08, 07:44 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Having grown up in Michigan, I sympathize. Here in the Bay Area though, it's prime riding weather; the hottest summer weather is behind us and it's been 65 - 70 degrees and sunny. Until the weekend, anyway.