Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PERFECT, Digital Univega Decal Repros!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 01:10 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just finished "getting my act together" and finishing some pieces to send to JR Restore.

I figured I'd post these here, so that you guys can have access to these if you need them too.

I made them with Paint and a lot of patience.

I can't print these myself, but if any of you need them, here they are:

Bottom Tube Logo:

Seat Tube Logo (The bottom half is also the front logo...)

Hopefully, in the future, I'll be able to get the CroMo sticker, and all those parts.

Does anyone know of a digital font that looks like the model name font like below?

As I said, I can't print these. (I'll be emailing them myself to JR Restore later this week...)
Old 10-28-08, 02:09 AM
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.

Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bottom one needs some cleaning up. I would make it to a larger scale, and the printer can reduce as necessary. Particularly in the Univega font of the smaller logo, the jaggies are clearly visible.

Excellent work for an MS Paint project, though. If you want Photoshop CS3, I have an .iso I could send you.
Old 10-28-08, 08:28 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts
The closest font I've found is Pump Light. It's not an exact match. The 'x' is obviously not he same style. Also, the tail in your 'p', 'r' and "t' appear to have alight curves but I suspect that is due to parallax distortion from the camera and curvature of the tube. Outside of that, the letters appear quite close. If you can't find the exact match, this might be a good starting point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pumplight.jpg (35.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-28-08, 08:36 AM
Business810

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Exit.
The bottom one needs some cleaning up. I would make it to a larger scale, and the printer can reduce as necessary. Particularly in the Univega font of the smaller logo, the jaggies are clearly visible.

Excellent work for an MS Paint project, though. If you want Photoshop CS3, I have an .iso I could send you.
Indeed, good work for Paint. Photoshop won't help much unless you work in a huge scale because you are still working with pixels rather than vectors; Adobe Illustrator is the right tool for the job, though. This gives me an idea to try to recreate decals for my Ranson...
Old 10-28-08, 10:13 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pump Light is a great, great, great starting point, and a much closer match than anything else.

As for scaling up the second decal, I can't make anything bigger than that size 243 "U" in the picture. I know it's kind of a bummer, but in the end, the letters on that logo are going to be 7/10cm big, I don't know what more I can do to save that, except try to make a bigger one.
Sadly, not too much hope for it, though.

Know what?

Yeah. I'll try cleaning it up even more later this afternoon, also, getting the proportions perfect will be easier this way, esp. with that .iso.

I'll send a pm about that.

So I suppose my original title calling these "perfect" was somewhat misleading, but....
By the time I'm done working on these, they'll be pretty darn good.

-Nick
Old 10-28-08, 10:15 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And I doublechecked, and Pump Light is an exact match with exception to the "x." That can't be too hard to fudge, though.
Old 10-28-08, 10:16 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the hard work! My first Univega was a 79 Viva Sport that used a different font. Does anyone have pictures?
Old 10-28-08, 10:34 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could check the Unofficial Univega Apprecieation Thread, probably the best Univega thread on the Web! I like it there very much, although its not always super-busy...

It's here in C&V somewhere.

And if you've got a little time, Flying Merkel, I'll hopefully get these adjusted even better, these are still somewhat rough, and the proportions aren't perfect on the second one... We'll see.

If you take a picture of your Vivia Sport's font, I'm sure someone here will help us match it.

Again, THANK YOU SOO MUCH to T-Mar for finding that font. Awesome!
Old 10-28-08, 04:05 PM
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.

Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Business810
Indeed, good work for Paint. Photoshop won't help much unless you work in a huge scale because you are still working with pixels rather than vectors; Adobe Illustrator is the right tool for the job, though. This gives me an idea to try to recreate decals for my Ranson...
I always work in a huge scale.

And no, that's not any sort of innuendo.
Old 10-30-08, 12:06 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the "Maxima Sport" bit, fresh off the hard drive:

Old 10-30-08, 12:07 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If anyone needs, say, "Alpina sport," vivia sport, sport tour, super special, etc, ask here or PM me.
Old 10-30-08, 10:44 AM
arborohs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need the alpine sport. anyone have a 85/86 I would love to see a picture of one complete.
Old 10-30-08, 10:54 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okey dokey. Arborohs, I will make you an "alpine/a" sport later. Is it alpine, or alpina?

Oh, I finished this one today:

Based off this photo:

Sorry about the blur.

Now, only the "lifetime garuntee" sticker to do...
Old 10-30-08, 10:55 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh. Oops. The writing and white border of this decal should be silver. I'll fix it. No need to respost such an easy fix.

All done with MS Paint.
Old 10-30-08, 11:02 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 808 Posts
stroke weight of the "x" is too light, and the x-height of both "x" and "i" have been increased in the original logotype (which may be custom-drawn or could just be camera angle of the photo) and the juncture of the "x" strokes is higher up, not symmetrical as your sample. (I used to teach typography, but neither well nor recently, don't take it personally, in general you have done a remarkably good job).
I agree, a vector-based program like Illustrator is the only tool for this job. Although you *can* do it with something else (obviously), as soon as you need to finesse something you will find have handcuffed yourself.

Last edited by unworthy1; 10-30-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 04:28 PM
arborohs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opps alpina sport thanks
Old 10-30-08, 07:56 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unworthy1
stroke weight of the "x" is too light, and the x-height of both "x" and "i" have been increased in the original logotype (which may be custom-drawn or could just be camera angle of the photo) and the juncture of the "x" strokes is higher up, not symmetrical as your sample. (I used to teach typography, but neither well nor recently, don't take it personally, in general you have done a remarkably good job).
I agree, a vector-based program like Illustrator is the only tool for this job. Although you *can* do it with something else (obviously), as soon as you need to finesse something you will find have handcuffed yourself.
Ahh! First, I thought you were just picking on me, but then, with a background as a typographer, I rather apprecieate your advice. All the writing is heighted equally (I feel horribly incompetent compared to you and your better terminology,) and any variance in letter height is due to an odd photo angle and some pretty damaged decals.

I did notice everything you said about the x, especially the juncture being higher up.
I'm amazed you noticed the stroke weight, though. I skewed the "i" to form the lines of the "x," (skewed at 35° and -35°, then flipped vertically to raise the junction,) and although I noticed the stroke weight of the "x" at the time, I couldn't see the issue in the final. I may work on fixing the "x," but I feel fairly satisfied with it. We'll see.

Oh! Good news! All the yucky fuzzies ruining these decals are the result of compression.
I'm cleaning them and saving them as .TIFF files instead. This is getting there... *albeit not done yet.*

I'll get on that "alpina sport" now.
Old 10-30-08, 08:05 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There it is, in all its glory, and with relatively little effort.

A vector based program would really be great, but I dont have the cash for one, and the height of "maxima sport," for example is only 1cm in real life, so these images are already much larger than the final products shall be...

But there you go, arborohs. Hope it helps.

If anyone has anything else they'd like done, I can give it a go... Just upload a picture, maybe dimensions, I'll try to do them. (For free, of course.)

-Banjo
Old 10-31-08, 11:05 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Banjo, you're doing great. Let me give you a little free lesson in what we called "color": this is kind of subjective but once you get a bunch of super anal-retentive type fanatics going back and forth, you usually reach agreement. See how the word "alpina" looks "darker" or more tightly packed than the word "sport"? We'd try to adjust the sport so it's more close to the general impression of the "color" of alpina (cause it's usually easier to compress than to extend). Close up the letter-spaces between all the letters s-p-o and r-t and slightly less between o-r. Move the i in alpina closer to the p, move the l just a gnat's hair closer to the p. Squint and take quick looks then look away. Adjust until you pass out or die from boredom. This is really the advanced class in logotype design, and if your goal is to match a clunky job in an original and not improve on it, then it's just an exercise...take it FWIW.

Last edited by unworthy1; 10-31-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-31-08, 05:01 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, unworthy1, is this one better "colored?"

Btw, the little fuzzies will be on these images due to compression, but the .TIFF files I have on my computer are really quite clean!

I tried to fix up the "sport."

Umm... Yep. I'm working on the "lifetime garuntee" sticker right now, I'll have that up before I go out tonight.
Old 11-01-08, 10:11 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

much improved! I'd still move the "i" closer to the "p" and maybe the "s" just a hair away from the "p" in sport...but this is where it starts getting really anal-retentive and you might go back-and-forth forever. The theory, (which I won't go deeply into) has to do with the interaction between adjacent letterforms with vertical strokes versus those with curves and large versus small negative spaces (especially enclosed negative space like the "a" "p" "o" and "n" have loads of in this particular font).
Old 11-01-08, 10:37 AM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
LOL! This is about the last place I'd have expected to read a treatise on pair kerning. Right on though -- they're coming along nicely.
Old 11-01-08, 08:32 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I`m missing something here. From these images or files, you have decals printed somewhere? Or you do them yourselves cheap enough to be doable just for one-offs? I read how Suzy Jackson did it (littlefish.org, or something), but it sounded like a major hassle. I get the feeling that there`s something obvious to you folks that I don`t know about and I`m betting it`s very useful!
Old 11-02-08, 01:59 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, some people (eg, JR Restore) reproduce and print decals. Dunno how. I assume the more reknowed ones use better equipment than injet printers, but who knows?

There's people that can print them, and I am of the impression that by providing them with nice enough starting material (as opposed to a few rough photos and measurements) it makes life easier for everyone!

But essentially, yes, these files can be printed as decals!

-nm
Old 11-02-08, 12:10 PM
Tex_Arcana
Lone Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a tip for you concerning software. There are some free open source options for Windows that you can use. For general graphics work there is The Gimp available at https://www.gimp.org/ . For a free vector graphics program you can use InkScape which you can find at https://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en .

These were originally Linux programs but are available for Mac and Windows as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.