Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why Are Bicyclists Unpopular?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why Are Bicyclists Unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 04:03 AM
Fear&Trembling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by defiancecp
*I* say cyclists generally refuse responsibility altogether. Every time someone mentions it, the masses start raving about how drivers are worse, and they speed, and they hurt us worse in wrecks, and that someone yelled at them today ,and ANYTHING but the original subject. Sure, all those things are true, and they're all real problems, and generally they're larger problems than cyclists who can't seem to decipher the color red -- but they're all discussed ad nauseum, and they're not relevant to this question, so it comes across as an adamant rejection of responsibility.
According to Social Identity theory, drivers see other drivers as part of their “in-group,” and see cyclists as an “out-group,” to be discriminated against. And in order to justify that discrimination, the in-group will catalogue the negative, anti-social behavior of members of the out-group as stereotypical behavior of the out-group; this “stereotypical” anti-social behavior is then identified as the reason that the out-group is discriminated against. In the case of anti-cyclist rhetoric, this means that “scofflaw cyclists” are presented as the reason underlying the discrimination against all cyclists. The flip side is that cyclist often feel persecuted and stereotype the out-group (ie drivers).

Last edited by Fear&Trembling; 11-14-08 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 04:37 AM
filtersweep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclists are not unpopular in many other parts of the world. There is a real bully mentality on the roads in the US.

Also notable is how easy it is to get a drivers license in the US--- where they seem to care more about eyesight than skill.
Old 11-14-08, 08:23 AM
defiancecp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
You sound like a brand new rider that does not commute. You still have a motorist mind set. Try cycle commuting, rather than just some recreational riding, and learn.

You really do not see motorist breaking the law? Arkansas must have the most law abiding motorist in the nation.
On an average commute, I see an average of 12 motorist make left turns after the light has turned red at 4 separate intersections. Motorist rarely come to complete stops at stop signs. Many barely even slow (some even speed up, to beat cross traffic) when making a right turn on red; ignoring the pedestrians with the right of way. There is one section of my commute, when traffic backs up, motorist will move onto the shoulder without signal and illegally drive on the shoulder.
There ARE real problems with the way cars drive. That doesn't change the fact that there are also problems with the way some cyclists ride, and that it makes the problem worse. When I see those idiots weaving through traffic across cantrell, I'm mad - not because of any inconvenience to me directly, but because his behavior throws more fuel on the fire.

As for working on the bigger problems first - is there something more we could be doing to directly address the other problems? I know that any time I see something I can do, I do it. I'm always courteous and law-abiding when I ride, I talk to coworkers and acquaintances, and I try to take advantage of any opportunity to spread the idea that bicyclists should be welcome. These efforts are undermined by every valid argument we give the opposition, however hypocritical it is of them to use it, so in my opinion, addressing this problem would only further our efforts to resolve the other, much more important issues.

As for me commuting, it honestly wouldn't help in my case. My son is 9, and he goes to school at a magnet school (meaning no busses) downtown. We ride together a lot, but his skills aren't ready to handle downtown. His school is about 2 miles from home, and the wife and I work about 2 miles from school, so going back home to ride to work would be pointless. In a couple years, I hope my son will be up to the level to be able to, though.

Last edited by defiancecp; 11-14-08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 09:24 AM
2new2this
Head Chief

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffB502
I do (when I'm driving)...
Non cyclists, is who I was speaking of. I should have re-worded it, "Only cyclists . . ."
Old 11-14-08, 11:44 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by filtersweep
Cyclists are not unpopular in many other parts of the world. There is a real bully mentality on the roads in the US.

Also notable is how easy it is to get a drivers license in the US--- where they seem to care more about eyesight than skill.
Yup. Cycling is several times more dangerous in the US than in most places overseas.
Old 11-14-08, 11:15 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tatfiend
Are some bicyclists our own worst enemies as far as making motor vehicle drivers dislike us? I believe that this may well be the case.
No, they'll hate you no matter what. They hate you because you travel at half their speed. They hate passing you. They hate the notion of being delayed by you.
Old 11-14-08, 11:16 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They also hate your freedom (to travel without gas). I remember an editorial discussed in this forum where the writer referred to bicyclists "gliding past gas stations" while writing about how they needed taxing or licenses to be on the road.
Old 11-15-08, 12:28 AM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for working on the bigger problems first - is there something more we could be doing to directly address the other problems?
sure there are -- anything that makes driving less effective or more expensive takes asses out of cars and puts them in busses or on bikes reduces the impact drivers have by making less of them. the bottom line is that we all here are (theoretically at least) bicycle advocates. to me that means encouraging folks to get out of cars and onto bicycles. that means making driving less attractive and biking more appealing.

were i you (although i'm not so feel free to ignore me) i'd start by pressuring this "magnet school" to offer bussing.
Old 11-15-08, 12:44 AM
Saving Hawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoot; I got my drivers license with about five hours of time behind the wheel. Absolutely should never have been allowed and I was far from safe when I started driving. It wasn't until an employer put me through a pretty good defensive driving course (commercial driving makes that happen, eh?) that I learned a lot of the things I should have known about before I ever touched the ignition.
Old 11-15-08, 06:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 835 Posts
Let me see if I have this right. Motorists hate me because I slow them down, then they hate me if I run a traffic light to get out of the congestion, the result of which keeps me from slowing them down. What are the potential consequences to the motorists if I break the law? What are the potential consequences to me if a motorist breaks the law? I'm glad we had this talk. I feel better now.
Old 11-15-08, 04:26 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I talk to coworkers and acquaintances, and I try to take advantage of any opportunity to spread the idea that bicyclists should be welcome. These efforts are undermined by every valid argument we give the opposition, however hypocritical it is of them to use it, so in my opinion, addressing this problem would only further our efforts to resolve the other, much more important issues.

As for me commuting, it honestly wouldn't help in my case. My son is 9, and he goes to school at a magnet school (meaning no busses) downtown. We ride together a lot, but his skills aren't ready to handle downtown. His school is about 2 miles from home, and the wife and I work about 2 miles from school, so going back home to ride to work would be pointless. In a couple years, I hope my son will be up to the level to be able to, though.
So address their hypocrisy rather than blame other cyclist for motorist bad behavior.

Here are 3 easy options for you:
Trail-A-Bike, Trek Mountain Train or Burley Piccolo

https://www.trail-a-bike.com/product/...inal-folder-1/
https://larryscycle.com/06trekmountaintrain206.htm
https://www.burley.com/products/child/piccolo.cfm
Old 11-15-08, 06:45 PM
wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The big complaint seems to be the number of bicyclists who routinely ignore traffic laws.

Well that is the only thing they can complain about because it is illegal. So hence the big complaint.
Else you sound like a dictator.
Old 11-15-08, 06:46 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
Because the weak always envy the strong.

Paul
Old 11-15-08, 07:46 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Cuz we're slow, in the way & wear ugly clothes.
Old 11-16-08, 07:17 AM
pueblonative

Bikes: Roadmaster 26 Men's Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Its really the same reaction that many here on this forum have to dog "attacks". Many cyclists are afraid of dogs, again rightly or wrongly doesn't matter, that a dog running at them wants to hurt them. Fear brings out the fight reaction in the cyclists so thats why you read of so many people that want to do irrational things like shoot dogs with guns and permanently blind them with caustic chemicals, even though most dogs are just playing when they chase cyclists.

The same way cyclists lash out at dogs they are afraid of, motorists lash out at cyclists they are afraid of.

I probably have the same fear of dogs until I realize that if a dog were to actually try and bite me the dog would probably be going on a very short and painful trip. Not to mention most dogs wouldn't know what to do with a bicycle if they caught it in the first place. This is different from the shock when a dog I don't notice starts biking out of the blue.
Old 11-16-08, 07:58 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5626 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 249 Posts
The complaints I have heard, or read about in the paper, are of packs of cyclists who ride two abreast and hold up traffic when they could be going single file, or using an adjacent bike path.
There are bike paths here that parallel the roads, but some bike riders don't use them. Instead they ride the road and hold up traffic. That is very annoying.
Old 11-16-08, 08:37 AM
Biknmik
Here and There

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right now we are the ones "who must have a DUI and can't drive a car or are too poor to do so".
If your will remember a short time ago, (I'm telling my age now) Harley riders were considered bums
and the like. Now it's cool to be a Harley rider. It's like this, they can't or won't see us on the road
so therefore we scare them when they have to swerve to miss us. Like deer, most people love to
look at them but when they cross the road "those damn deer" is the phrase heard most often.
We slow them down in their "must have it now" world. Me, if I see a guy on a bike while I'm driving,
I give him every courtesy due him since I know how it is to travel on both sides of the fence.
Ohh well, some day.
Old 11-16-08, 08:48 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by hurricane harry
They are jealous because we are free.
also, because they are big time stressed out.. Humans just hate it when some of us a not maladjusted.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 11-16-08, 02:05 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
The complaints I have heard, or read about in the paper, are of packs of cyclists who ride two abreast and hold up traffic when they could be going single file, or using an adjacent bike path.
There are bike paths here that parallel the roads, but some bike riders don't use them. Instead they ride the road and hold up traffic. That is very annoying.
Not nearly as annoying as the packs of motorist that jam up the roads and slow me down during rush hour(s). Especially when they all could move over to the fast lane and leave the right lane clear for cyclist capable of moving at a higher speeds during rush hour(s).
Old 11-16-08, 02:09 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have freeways designed specifically designed for car use. I find it very annoying when cars use surface streets instead of sticking to the freeway, and slow me down when I'm cycling.

If the bike path parallel to the road were better, you can bet that the cyclists would be using it. The fact that a cyclist is willing to face traffic full of weirdos like you, is a testament to how inconvenient or unsafe the path must be.
Old 11-16-08, 02:10 PM
Blue Roads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
...The big complaint seems to be the number of bicyclists who routinely ignore traffic laws... Are some bicyclists our own worst enemies as far as making motor vehicle drivers dislike us? I believe that this may well be the case.
A lot of good thoughts in this thread, but I think you largely answered your own question.

Some cyclists, by ignoring traffic laws -- and dare I say, what could be called basic traffic courtesy, such as signaling an intention -- make it tough for the cycling community. For the folks in cars, I'd also add equal parts of "My hurry is more important than you" -- in our fast-paced culture, some perceive being delayed for one minute as a slap in the face -- and they don't understand or care about cycling laws.

I'm no traffic angel on my bike, I've certainly run a few stop signs, but 99% of the time I try to be courteous, predictable, and as safe as possible, including taking the lane when that's the best course. I'm also well lit with good reflective gear. As a result, I've had very few conflicts with cars while cycling.

It's only common sense that good conduct while cycling is safer and benefits us all. And it's still fun.

Last edited by Blue Roads; 11-16-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 05:56 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by uke
They also hate your freedom (to travel without gas). I remember an editorial discussed in this forum where the writer referred to bicyclists "gliding past gas stations" while writing about how they needed taxing or licenses to be on the road.
I don't count the taxation excuse. I don't think it's particularly common and it's based entirely in incorrect data. While we pay no direct taxes we pay for 25%-40% of road costs through other taxation (based on our income, luxury purchases, and property values) and we require far less than 25% of the road width as currently built.

If anything, drivers are free riders due to the massive amount of free and otherwise subsidized parking that they receive.

But I'm preaching to the choir aren't I?

(I'm speaking of the US).
Old 11-16-08, 06:55 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5626 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by zeytoun
They have freeways designed specifically designed for car use. I find it very annoying when cars use surface streets instead of sticking to the freeway, and slow me down when I'm cycling.

If the bike path parallel to the road were better, you can bet that the cyclists would be using it. The fact that a cyclist is willing to face traffic full of weirdos like you, is a testament to how inconvenient or unsafe the path must be.
Dang man, chill out. I'm just telling you what I hear.
How did you know I was a wierdo?
Old 11-17-08, 12:49 PM
Gee3
Senior Moment Member

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
That's interestingly funny. Before I started cycling I saw cyclists as a bother because if they were too slow and I wasn't able to safely get around them my impatience would kick in. In fact, it still does at times when there is ample shoulder for a slower "vehicle" to move over so faster vehicles could pass by. (Vehicles in CA code are consiudered both cars and bikes)

But now as a cyclist myself that has to "share the road" I am more apt to be more careful and patient with cyclists. That or give them ample room when passing. I know I appreciate it when others do the same for me.

However, I have never thought or felt anger or dismay at a cyclist (even prior to becoming one) because I felt they could travel without gassing up or becuase they are "free"! I could care less about that. And others I know have never complained to me about me gliding past gas stations while they are stuck in a car.

Sorry, I just have never heard that argument in the San Francisco Bay Area (or the Dallas area when I lived there) from anyone I've known or met. It's mostly about impatience [by both sides]. We, both as a driver and cyclist, can do our own part to de-fuse situations by simply being more courteous and patient.
Old 11-17-08, 01:46 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang man, chill out. I'm just telling you what I hear.
Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.