Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hi power recumbent trike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Hi power recumbent trike

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 03:30 PM
npkeith

Bikes: Elec-Trec 8 speed electric, ancient Trek 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi power recumbent trike

Has anyone tried mounting a high-powered conversion kit (something like this) on one of the better recumbent tadpole trikes? Something like a Catrike Expedition or a Velotechnik Scorpion? That would give a recumbent capable of 25+ MPH without pedaling (and I'm assuming higher with). After a little read through of California motorcycle laws I learned that three-wheeled motorcycles can be operated with a regular driver's license. So, yes I'd have to register, and yes, I'd need a DOT grade helmet, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Expensive (I could buy a car for that...)

But fun.

Any thoughts, pics, links, etc?
Old 11-17-08, 05:05 PM
Tourezrick

Bikes: TE Steel, Sun Tad Trike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's no way I'd consider a Bionx hub a high power setup. Now, a Crystalyte X5303 hub running at anything 36v or higher - now, we're talking power! At 36v, the C'lyte produces almost 2 hp, almost 3 hp at 48v and it's "Whoa, Nellie" at 72v! I bet with a 5303 at 72v and a light rider and forward mount battery pack, one could do burnouts! Not that I ever would consider doing such a thing! That's a drag racing stunt, I'm an ex-sportycar racer and burnouts are waaaay beneath me. Slingin the skeeta, here in the Midwest!
Old 11-17-08, 05:14 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If what you're after is a (recumbent) 3 wheel electric motorcycle, you can go far above 25mph with the right motor. A number of people have gotten up to 45mph or so, using high power crystalyte motors and controllers. With the better aerodynamics of a low recumbent, you can expect it to be a little easier to go just as fast.

And yes, it'll cost you. Especially if you want high power and reasonably good range.
Old 11-17-08, 07:46 PM
wernmax
Banned.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7589 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 699 Posts
I'm sure the regulars are tired of seeing this, but it runs 35mph with a 5303 and 48 volt A123 DeWalt packs.

Search "homebuilt trike", this forum, if you want more info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trike hub motor.JPG (96.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
90.jpg (20.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-18-08, 03:12 PM
npkeith

Bikes: Elec-Trec 8 speed electric, ancient Trek 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm. I stand corrected. I'm a little ambivalent though. I may not have thought it through. If I soup it up to the point where it goes over 25mph, then its a motorcycle, and I need indicators and brakelights etc, even if as a three wheeler I don't need a motorcycle license. If I keep it under 25, then I don't need any license.

either way, its still gonna cost me on the order of $5k (more if I go the full power route.)

I guess its a moot point. Not gonna happen unless I win the lotto, and thats not gonna happen until I play the lotto.

-Keith
Old 11-20-08, 05:50 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by npkeith
I guess its a moot point. Not gonna happen unless I win the lotto, and thats not gonna happen until I play the lotto.
One of my dad's colleagues was Dr. Lloyd Moote. He was always making Moote points.

There's a couple electric-assist velomobiles running around Portland, Oregon: a WAW (don't know what motor he's got) and a Go-One with a Bionx assist. Last May we had a human-electric hybrid race:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wmbates...7605279784351/

It shouldn't be terribly tough to put a high-power hub motor on a trike. I'd worry about the keeping the wheel in the dropouts, though. Mitch (the Go-One owner) is on his third swingarm- the Bionx motor keeps chewing them up.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-20-08, 06:39 PM
MI7D1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Go-One has had the BionX removed from it. As Jeff said, it was destroying the swing arm. It's my understanding that an Ecospeed system will be installed soon. Not sure if it's normal but I noticed that the BionX had a quick release on it. I think that may have contributed to the problem. A bolt on style would be better.

Bill B WAW velomobile running 48v AGM 18Ah with Crystalyte 406 20Ah controller
Distance: 12 laps (23.76 miles)
time: 45 min, 10 sec.
Ave 31.1 mph,
Max Speed 34.2 mph,
energy used 335.7 Watt hours,
Usage per mile 14.12 Watt hours

Old 11-20-08, 10:12 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by npkeith
If I soup it up to the point where it goes over 25mph, then its a motorcycle, and I need indicators and brakelights etc, even if as a three wheeler I don't need a motorcycle license. If I keep it under 25, then I don't need any license.\h
I think the limit is 20 mph in CA and my 36V trike exceeds that, shaking my eyes out ! I was striving for more and got this 3-wheel electric vehicle:
https://www.evalbum.com/586
turn signals, brake-head-tail-reverse lights, etc.- although it did 50 mph the 4 DieHard Platinum PM1 12V deep cell batteries gave up the ghost. Don't need a different drivers license but I had to register it as a motorcycle.
Old 11-21-08, 06:07 AM
MI7D1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countersTrike
I think the limit is 20 mph in CA and my 36V trike exceeds that, shaking my eyes out ! I was striving for more and got this 3-wheel electric vehicle:
https://www.evalbum.com/586
turn signals, brake-head-tail-reverse lights, etc.- although it did 50 mph the 4 DieHard Platinum PM1 12V deep cell batteries gave up the ghost. Don't need a different drivers license but I had to register it as a motorcycle.
Chris, Thanks for the link. The City-EL is one of the few practical EV's that I like the look of. It's nice seeing your avitar and now having the link to the EV album. I've been toying with the idea of getting a BugE for a couple of years now but like the looks of the City-EL much better.
Old 11-21-08, 12:39 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MI7D1
The City-EL is one of the few practical EV's that I like the look of. .
Extremely practical until idiots like me want to push it to 50 mph! Messed up relays, switches, burned out 1 cell. These were 36V and built to go 35 mph or thereabouts. Mine is rebuild after rebuild, and I may have to rebuild it again; so right back to my P-A recumbent trike for me!

Germany is making 36V or 48V City-EL versions now, but do not seem available in the US. Wish they were!