Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Attack escape supplies

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Attack escape supplies

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 09:09 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Attack escape supplies

Living in New York City and watching the progress of the Mumbai attacks, I'm reminded that I keep meaning to figure out an escape plan. We live right at the George Washington Bridge, my three-year-olds are used to riding in a double bike trailer, and I know the bike route to Piermont, so that seems a reasonable first-stage destination: over the bridge and North.

What I'm mulling now is what to keep ready in the "go bag," which I figure will be a handlebar-mounted bag of some kind that I can just sling up and ride away with. It only has to contain emergency-specific things, since I've already got the basic tube/wrench/lube supplies in my pannier.

Are any of you doing anything similar?

A NY Route 9W map, diapers and wipes, a couple of bottles of Pediasure...what else?
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 11-27-08, 09:55 AM
surveyor
Where am I?

Bikes: Old Centurion Accordo (in the process of being SS'ed), Cannondale Quick 5 (racks/panniers/fenders, utility bike), Trek XO1 (fun/fast/main ride)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is just my opinion:

In an attack similar to Mumbai, the best place to be is your fortified, well-stocked home, with a good defense plan and plenty of ammunition - not on the move with virtually no supplies to a location which may or may not be safer, and which may or may not even be accessible.

But yes, the bicycle would be a great way to move quickly through unknown terrain, without attracting too much attention if you absolutely had to leave.
Old 11-27-08, 10:01 AM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kid sister(28) who lives in a large city in the Midwest that shall remain nameless is doing much the same, I personally always keep my backpack ready to go.

First aid kit of some sort might be a good place to start. Really depends on how far you want to take it.

Always good to be prepared for things.
Old 11-27-08, 10:04 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck.......

https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Old 11-27-08, 10:08 AM
littlefoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'How to commute during the apocalypse' man this could turn into a really weird thread by days end.
Old 11-27-08, 10:10 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!

I doubt another attack on NYC would be Mumbai-style. More likely something big, and I'd just want to GET OUT. The main obstacle for most people is getting off the island itself, but we live right at the entrance of a bridge that has a bike path cars can't get onto. I can be towing my children into New Jersey 20 minutes after walking the bike and trailer out the door.

(And even in the event of something more like Mumbai, I don't agree that trying to defend the fifth floor of an apartment building with a broken elevator is a superior tactical decision than running away. The word "treed" comes to mind.)

This brings up an excellent point I hadn't thought about, though: weapons. I should at least have some pepper spray along just in case.

A request: If anyone's tempted to make this a gun debate, please help me flesh out my plan, not yours.

Last edited by noteon; 11-27-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 10:16 AM
littlefoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
Thanks!

I doubt another attack on NYC would be Mumbai-style. More likely something big, and I'd just want to GET OUT. The main obstacle for most people is getting off the island itself, but we live right at the entrance of a bridge that has a bike path cars can't get onto. I can be towing my children into New Jersey 20 minutes after walking the bike and trailer out the door.

(And even in the event of something more like Mumbai, I don't agree that trying to defend the fifth floor of an apartment building with a broken elevator is a superior tactical decision than running away. The word "treed" comes to mind.)

This brings up an excellent point I hadn't thought about, though: weapons. I should at least have some pepper spray along just in case.

A request: If anyone's tempted to make this a gun debate, please help me flesh out my plan, not yours.
There is always a Tazer or stun gun option.
Old 11-27-08, 10:21 AM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by surveyor
This is just my opinion:

In an attack similar to Mumbai, the best place to be is your fortified, well-stocked home, with a good defense plan and plenty of ammunition - not on the move with virtually no supplies to a location which may or may not be safer, and which may or may not even be accessible.

But yes, the bicycle would be a great way to move quickly through unknown terrain, without attracting too much attention if you absolutely had to leave.
In general, its probably best to "hunker down" in place until the situation stabilizes, then move out if its not safe to stay where you are (damaged building, loss of utilities). California, with its everpresent natural disasters (earthquakes, etc), has some good information availabe along these lines. Here's some you could browse through from where I live in Southern California (Orange County):

https://www.readyoc.org/residents/plan.htm

I don't know if you need to prepare for an assault like Mumbai; if something like that happened I'd think the NYPD, FBI, & military would quickly isolate the area and it would be a bad idea to leave unless directed to do so. Barrricade the door, stay where you are, and listed to news reports for info. However, if you had to move out of NYC-proper and all public transportation was shut down (like post-9/11), a bicycle would be a godsend.

Old 11-27-08, 10:23 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by littlefoot
There is always a Tazer or stun gun option.
Thanks. It's going to be pepper spray.

Weaponry is settled. Another thread for it, someplace distinct from this thread, could be fascinating for all involved.

What else goes in the go-bag? I'm especially interested in hearing from bike commuters who have theirs together already.
Old 11-27-08, 10:23 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup. There's no way you'll get off the island if A.) the military doesn't want you to leave, or B.) everyone else is also trying to leave. This is part of why my siblings no longer live in Manhattan, despite living in the city.
Old 11-27-08, 10:26 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
Yup. There's no way you'll get off the island if A.) the military doesn't want you to leave, or B.) everyone else is also trying to leave.
Thanks, uke. Useful as always.
Old 11-27-08, 10:27 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, uke.
You're welcome. Keep up with the Rambo fantasies.
Old 11-27-08, 10:31 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
You're welcome. Keep up with the Rambo fantasies.
Yeah, towing kids over a bridge and wondering what you shouldn't forget to pack = total macho delusion.

If you weren't here for 9-11, you think this is fantasy. If you were, and, let's say, weren't sure if your wife was still alive until she walked all the way from midtown into Queens, you may see it differently.

But I agree, let's not derail this with Rambocity. A couple of bottles of Pediasure, a first aid kit, some diapers...what else?
Old 11-27-08, 10:40 AM
littlefoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my gear that I keep for packed is essentially my hiking/hitch hikekit which I've been all around the world with. It'd be kinda a struggle on a bike...I need a BoB trailer and I'd be golden. Course if all goes nuts I'll be driving as far as possible then have the bike as backup(I don't live in a major metro area though)

Water purification tabs might be a good idea for you handle bar bag kit. Alcohol stove maybe, small first aid kit, space blanket,maybe a compass, some type of firestarting implement, and a multi tool like a Leatherman perhaps.
Old 11-27-08, 10:41 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
As Samwise Gamgee would say: "a bit of rope is always a good thing to have in the bottom of your pack"
Old 11-27-08, 10:42 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Thanks!

In the time it takes you to "walk the bike and trailer out the door" that (and just about every street for that matter) "bike path cars can't get onto" will be so congested with people trying to get out that not even an ant will fit! Take surveyors advice, "the best place to be is your fortified, well-stocked home, with a good defense plan and plenty of ammunition - not on the move with virtually no supplies to a location which may or may not be safer, and which may or may not even be accessible. But yes, the bicycle would be a great way to move quickly through unknown terrain, without attracting too much attention if you absolutely had to leave." Ill add this, if you have a Marina near by, which Im sure you do, learn how to hot wire a boat, thatll get you and your family over to Jersey in a minute you can explain your actions to the Police after your family is safe
EDIT! Bring guns and ammo, when you do (if ever) get the chance to leave. Most peolpe trying to rob and steal during a crisis are cowards, if they see you with a gun they'll more than likely move on to the next person. Survival, its as close to real life as one can get.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 11-27-08 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 10:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
But I agree, let's not derail this with Rambocity. A couple of bottles of Pediasure, a first aid kit, some diapers...what else?
If you're escaping the city like that I presume you may not be coming back or will perhaps return to ruins. When I have thought about what to flee with I suggest irretrievable photographs and legal papers.

When I was in my youth, I seemed drawn to the "end-of-the world" genre of science fiction. Has anyone ever seen the British film, Threads about how all the interconnectedness of modern civilization could quickly unravel in a disaster. It was much more terrifying than The Day After, and that was my last time thinking about the end-of-the-world.
Old 11-27-08, 10:47 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
If you're escaping the city like that I presume you may not be coming back or will perhaps return to ruins. When I have thought about what to flee with I suggest irretrievable photographs and legal papers.

When I was in my youth, I seemed drawn to the "end-of-the world" genre of science fiction. Has anyone ever seen the British film, Threads about how all the interconnectedness of modern civilization could quickly unravel in a disaster. It was much more terrifying than The Day After, and that was my last time thinking about the end-of-the-world.
Threads was simply horrifying, while The Day After was laughable.
Old 11-27-08, 10:51 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Guys... thanks, but I'm not going to learn to hotwire boats (and learn to drive them) or buy guns and ammo (and keep in practice shooting them), and I may very well hunker down and wait it out, depending on what's going on.

All I'm asking is what goes in the bag I keep by the door, not what shredded leather jacket goes best with a mohawk and crossbow.

Littlefoot, thanks!
Old 11-27-08, 10:52 AM
littlefoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Day After was lame.
Old 11-27-08, 10:56 AM
littlefoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys... thanks, but I'm not going to learn to hotwire boats (and learn to drive them) or buy guns and ammo (and keep in practice shooting them), and I may very well hunker down and wait it out, depending on what's going on.

All I'm asking is what goes in the bag I keep by the door, not what shredded leather jacket goes best with a mohawk and crossbow.

Littlefoot, thanks!
No problem dude I've been equipping my sister for Christmas this year actually. Course some form of uber flashlight and some light sticks maybe. There are some crazy flashlights out now that last forever on batteries. Decent folding knife might not be a bad idea, I hate the knives on most multi tools.
Old 11-27-08, 11:00 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlefoot
The Day After was lame.
Couldn't have been as bad as The Day After Tomorrow. Now that was wretched.
Old 11-27-08, 11:06 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Here's what the American Red Cross recommends.

https://www.redcrossstore.org/shopper...x?LocationId=1

BTW, for those of us who live in earthquake territory, a piece of advice we adhere to is keeping our emergency kits *outside* the house in a waterproof location. In an earthquake you may be able to escape your home but be unable to get back inside, either because of quake damage or the fire that could follow (one of my colleagues keeps heavy tools like crowbars, sledgehammer, etc. in case he has to tunnel back into the home to pull his family out).

Another very handy thing to have in case of emergency is $$$; in a real emergency electrical system could be out, ATM's unavailable.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 11-27-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 11:10 AM
joshandlauri
Got another new bike

Bikes: pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. A couple of bottles of Pediasure, a first aid kit, some diapers...what else?
bring some baby wipes also.
Old 11-27-08, 11:12 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joshandlauri
bring some baby wipes also.
How can you think of cleaning a rear derailleur at a time like--

Oh, you mean for the children.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.