Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Show me the ***Light***

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Show me the ***Light***

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 09:49 PM
untuned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show me the ***Light***

Went to my local bike shop 2day and saw these "Blackburn" combo for $50bucks(are they any good)....seemed a little pricey btw....... $50.

Anyhow I don't wanna spend a lot of money on some lights but I also dont want some huge ugly light...any suggestions.
Old 12-15-08, 09:54 PM
i r yo
Here to **** **** up

Bikes: 92 Cannondale Track, 08 Felt F4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People suck at driving, buy something that will get you seen. I like my cat eyes but there are better lights out there.
Old 12-15-08, 10:16 PM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-15-08, 10:16 PM
ADSR
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My colleges student store carries a Planet Bike front/rear set for around 20 dollars. I was considering it until my mom surprised me with a rear PB blinkie (which is awesome, by the way).
Old 12-15-08, 10:17 PM
rduenas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
peabody beat me to the punch. Damn.
Old 12-15-08, 10:36 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by untuned
Went to my local bike shop 2day and saw these "Blackburn" combo for $50bucks(are they any good)....seemed a little pricey btw....... $50.
That doesn't exactly help. Blackburn and $50. What model? Flea? If it is the combo set of the Fleas yes they are worth it. I work at a shop that sells those and those little *******s are very bright for their size. The front is brighter than the Planet bike Blaze headlight. Along with myself and two out of three of my coworkers all bought Fleas when we got them. They have a Li-Ion battery built in so they are a rechargeable light. Just attach the charging leads to a AA to D cell battery when they need to be recharged.
Old 12-15-08, 10:39 PM
untuned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redxj
That doesn't exactly help. Blackburn and $50. What model? Flea? If it is the combo set of the Fleas yes they are worth it. I work at a shop that sells those and those little *******s are very bright for their size. The front is brighter than the Planet bike Blaze headlight. Along with myself and two out of three of my coworkers all bought Fleas when we got them. They have a Li-Ion battery built in so they are a rechargeable light. Just attach the charging leads to a AA to D cell battery when they need to be recharged.
ya for the combo.....I just fear the lithium ion battery will begin to loose its charge after a while.
Old 12-16-08, 01:10 AM
.:Jimbo:.
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep second on the thumbs up for the flea. A few guys I ride with are rocking those, nice and small and innovative recharge system in how you can use any battery you have around to fuel it up for its next time on the bike.

Honestly, I had a L & M Vega on my winter cross bike, cool for my off road short cuts, giving me amble light to ride off road in low/no light conditions, but too bright for city streets. I found a high powered/output light to be counter-intuitive to safety, as it seems like everyone thinks That I'm some sort of UFO. Ped's, just freeze up upon seeing my headlamp, and I've had a few of those incidents where cars at intersections do the stop, go, stop, go thing because presumably the had no idea I'm just a cyclist, as they debate whether they can clear the intersection before I reach it myself.

Get the flea. perfect balance of bright enough light, small and portable, and smart charge system, I can't see a single con, except the pricey aspect, but if you feel your life is not quite worth 50 bucks, well, you're just a lost cause, and I can't be of any help!
Old 12-16-08, 03:03 AM
burglnar
Dixie Fixie

Bikes: KHS Flite 100, EAI Bareknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Flea. I traded in my Planet Bike Blaze as well for the Flea headlight and it is amazing. The unit is tiny and very inconspicuous. Also the velcro strap system is really good and it weighs nothing but is much brighter than the 1 watt Blaze. I'm still rockin' the planet bike Superlight Blinkie on the rear cause it is also very bright but if I didn't already have 2 of them I'd definitely get the flea tail light to match. It's unbelievable how freaking bright the 4 LEDs on the flea are in "overdrive" mode. It is the first headlight I've had that will actually light up the road enough to see like an actual headlight. Most models are only good enough to provide visibility to oncoming traffic but this one really throws some lumens when all the way charged. Which brings me to battery life.. While it's not fantastic (they claim 6 hours on a charge in regular mode I believe) it is plenty good for a few decent length or maybe one really long night ride. The charging unit is really small (about the footprint of a nickel) and cool and handy but I'd hate to lose it. The light would be pretty much useless without it so keep up with that. They say you can get about 60 charges off of one D cell. Not too shabby! Loving mine so far.
Old 12-16-08, 07:03 AM
xdrmusclex
the barbarian

Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The flea headlight is brghter than the blaze 1w? really? I was not going to get the flea combo because I thought the PB blazew 1w was supposed to be brighter

Could someone who owns both post a pic of a light comparison? that would be tops!
Old 12-16-08, 12:36 PM
untuned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long does a charge usually last you guys
Old 12-16-08, 12:55 PM
burglnar
Dixie Fixie

Bikes: KHS Flite 100, EAI Bareknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long does a charge usually last you guys
Like I previously stated, I get about 3 medium to long night rides, sometimes more, on flashing (anywhere from 2 to 4 hours per ride) but threw in that "maybe one really long night ride" as a disclaimer to anyone who may ride for more than 6 hours &/or keep it on "overdrive" mode the whole time as a light source rather than a visibility aid.

Originally Posted by xdrmusclex
The flea headlight is brghter than the blaze 1w? really? I was not going to get the flea combo because I thought the PB blazew 1w was supposed to be brighter

Could someone who owns both post a pic of a light comparison? that would be tops!
We did a side by side comparison in the shop the day the Fleas came in and I bought the Flea on the spot because of how much brighter it was than my Blaze. The Blaze didn't have a NEW battery but it wasn't very old either and was still as bright as I could remember it being so I figured it was a decent comparison. I will try to get a photo later today if I have time. Also, the Flea is about 1/8th the size of the Blaze with more light. You do the math.

EDIT: It's also completely obvious that the Flea is brighter in "overdrive" mode than the Blaze in full-on mode when you're actually riding. The Blaze just can't cut it next to the output of the Flea. However, the Blaze doesn't have to be recharged or have the battery replaced as often but it also doesn't have the option to charge so you'll go through batteries (eventually).

Last edited by burglnar; 12-16-08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 01:10 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 1W Blaze and a front Flea. The Flea is bright,but does not have the throw of the Blaze. On the ground right in front of you it looks brighter because the 4 LED's in a row make a wider,more 'filled in' spot,but shine them out a ways and you'll see farther with the Blaze. Basically,the Blaze makes a better headlight,the Flea makes a better blinky. I do like the ease of mounting with the Flea. I put it on the front of one of my helmets with one of those PB rear blinkys with the pivoting helmet mount on the rear,so when I got bar hopping I don't have to pull lights off the bike when locking up.

One thing I don't like about the Flea is that when the battery drains it goes right from full bright to dim without warning. I wish it would gradually dim the way most lights do,so you'd notice it and know it's time to recharge. Twice I've been riding and had it crap out.

(sorry,no pics,my camera sucks)

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-16-08, 01:17 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DealExtreme: $42.96 MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650) - Sku 13060
DealExtreme: $10.00 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) - Sku 05790
DealExtreme: $8.44 Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger - Sku 06105
DealExtreme: $1.90 Universal Bicycle Mount - Sku 08274

500 lumens for an hour on high, or 250 lumens for about four hours on medium, or several hours on low.
You can't buy a significantly brighter setup without spending at least $300 or building components yourself.
Old 12-16-08, 01:44 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fleas are nice, I've had mine for a while now and have to say that they are pretty convenient. The headlight does drain the battery down pretty fast on full power, but 90% of my riding is to the store/bar/etc and I don't need the extra hours of life.

The main gripe I have is that the velco is starting to wear/tear up to the little rubberized strip up the middle, I just try to make sure the edge of the "slot" doesn't sit on the little tear there when I attach it.
Old 12-16-08, 03:27 PM
untuned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does the combo sell for less than $50 anywhere
Old 12-16-08, 06:43 PM
untuned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump
Old 12-16-08, 07:40 PM
bmw5nkj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any planet bike lights are good. get LEDs but don't be lured by knogg frogs. they might look cool but they are not really bright in traffic. i have one but i got that for free so, might as well use it in addition to my other lights.
Old 12-16-08, 09:46 PM
untuned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does the combo sell for less than $50 anywhere
Old 12-16-08, 09:53 PM
iansmash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SUPERFLASH

will burn retinas

get 1 and put it on your pack

yeah it's ridiculous, but your safety should be more important than looking cool

say no to knog rear lights!
Old 12-16-08, 10:07 PM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More disappointing than the Knog brightness is their quality. The LED is actually bent 90 degrees from the PCB so after continued use the legs start to fatigue and the light stops working. Then the PCB has contacts too small to solder in a new LED.

//fail
Old 12-17-08, 12:00 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-17-08, 12:23 PM
j3ffr3y
chickenosaurus

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Team Track, 1997 GT Edge, 2012 Kilo TT Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride
More disappointing than the Knog brightness is their quality. The LED is actually bent 90 degrees from the PCB so after continued use the legs start to fatigue and the light stops working. Then the PCB has contacts too small to solder in a new LED.

//fail
too small you say? I guarantee it can be done
Old 12-17-08, 12:34 PM
slugman
Lurker

Bikes: IRO fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
DealExtreme: $42.96 MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650) - Sku 13060
DealExtreme: $10.00 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) - Sku 05790
DealExtreme: $8.44 Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger - Sku 06105
DealExtreme: $1.90 Universal Bicycle Mount - Sku 08274

500 lumens for an hour on high, or 250 lumens for about four hours on medium, or several hours on low.
You can't buy a significantly brighter setup without spending at least $300 or building components yourself.
+++

maybe 40 lumens from the plastic flea that might on occasion be seen, or burn your retina's out brightness even on the lowest setting from these flashlights that can be used as a hammer in a pinch.

I've got a few of
MTE M3-2 Cree MC-E 8-Mode 700-Lumen LED Flashlight with Assault Crown (1*18650)
on the way to use/for gifts but mostly to check out the MC-E emitter. Only downside is waiting for delivery from Dealextreme as I placed my latest order on the 5th and supposedly the first part just got shipped last night. I've got twofish lockblocks to mount them on the bar.
The flea is neat, but I want to be able to ride at speed in the winter, and my roads and the drivers around suck.