Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cannondale T400

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cannondale T400

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 09:50 PM
rugerben

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cannondale T400

UPDATE WITH PICS. SEE BELOW

Hi All,

Short background:
My father wants a road bike. But given that he is 60 years old, 6', and 230lbs, he doesn't want something with very aggressive geometry. I suggested a touring bike to him. He likes the idea.

I found this Cannondale T400 on CL. But there is absolutely squat about these bikes anywhere that I can find. Any info on it? Opinions? Experience?
I think that $400 might be a bit on the high side. On the other hand, it does come with spare tires (assuming they are good tires and not dry-rotted out of existance), fenders and rack. I'd remove the fenders and rack since he wants it as a road bike and not a tourer, and I could use them on my commuter bikes.

Last edited by rugerben; 02-24-09 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 09:55 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
It's a nice bike. If it fits and is in good shape it would work well. If it's really in good shape it might be worth the asking price; if it's worn and if you need to replace cables, brake pads, etc., the price is a bit high.
Old 12-22-08, 10:03 PM
rugerben

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, my dad has specified that he wants brifters. He has suddenly taken a dislike to DT shifters, so if it has DTS's I need need to factor in the cost of those as well.
Luckily, Nashbar is blowing out Ultegra brifters for $130 right now.
Old 12-22-08, 10:50 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 182 Posts
I have a '96 T400 and had a '91 T1000. Both are the same frame and differed in components with T1000 higher end than T400. I like the ride of the aluminum frame Cannondale touring bikes. When I did a "one year by bicycle" ride in 2001, I traveled the first 14,910 kms on the T1000 and after the chain stay cracked, I picked up the T400 from home & transferred components to ride the last 13,532 kms that year. I toured for another four years and many kms with the T400 as my primary touring bicycle before semi-retiring it to serve as my "ice bike" with studded tires.

$400 might be steep for a 10 year old bike, but overall found the T400 to be a reasonable and durable bike.
Old 12-23-08, 12:31 PM
rugerben

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I appreciate the advice. You guys are great.
I also figure that if dad decides he doesn't want it, this bike could become a good daily commuter for me. Might alleviate some of the heel-strike problem I've been having with my Giant transend. Hopefully, I could sell my 2008 Transend DX for about $400. The 2009 retails for $540, and I have a Deore X RD that I threw on the Transend, so I'd think $400 is a fair price.

Anybody else have any thoughts about the C-dale?
Old 12-23-08, 07:14 PM
MrPolak
Just ride it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a T700 and I like the lighter frame as compared to steel tourers. It's plenty stiff too, so you don't feel like you're riding an overweight noodle. Not that there's anything wrong with steel frames, mind you.
Old 12-24-08, 09:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6290 Post(s)
Liked 4,330 Times in 2,426 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
$400 might be steep for a 10 year old bike, but overall found the T400 to be a reasonable and durable bike.
I'll have to disagree. $400 for a 10 year old production mountain bike, race bike or just about anything else is too high. But touring bikes tend to hold value longer than regular bikes. There aren't a lot of 'true' touring bikes made each year and even those aren't bought by the general public. Considering that $900 to $1000 is the starting point for touring bike, $400 is not a bad bargain. Someone in the know and in the market will snap up the T400 at that price and consider it a very good deal. I would if I needed another bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-24-08, 04:29 PM
bedian

Bikes: '08 Trek Soho 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go for it.!!!!
Old 12-24-08, 09:42 PM
rugerben

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Going for it. Home for a bit and then have a project due Monday that I need to work on, so Tuesday I am going to go check it out. Assuming it fits and feels right, it's mine!
I spoke to the guy. It's set up with 700X35 tires, and has DT shifters. I plan to put on my 700x32 Pasela TG's, and I want to get barcon shifters for it, but as far as I can tell, i don't plan to make any other changes.... yet. I do have a DeoreLX RD that may get swapped onto the bike. I'm a huge fan of LX for its cost/function ratio.

Edit to add:
And of course, I'll post pics.
Old 12-30-08, 12:03 AM
rugerben

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bought it. Thank you all for your advice. It has pretty decent components on it. I was worried by one review I had read online that said it had Altus FD/RD, but that's not the case on this model. It runs RSX/RX-100 which is perfectly fine by me.
Fits nicely. Didn't get to ride it much (spin around the parking lot) but I really liked the way the geometry felt.

When I get a chance to give it a good ride, I'll write up a review and post some good pics.
Thanks again guys. You helped me pick out a winner!
Old 12-30-08, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6290 Post(s)
Liked 4,330 Times in 2,426 Posts
Originally Posted by rugerben
Bought it. Thank you all for your advice. It has pretty decent components on it. I was worried by one review I had read online that said it had Altus FD/RD, but that's not the case on this model. It runs RSX/RX-100 which is perfectly fine by me.
Fits nicely. Didn't get to ride it much (spin around the parking lot) but I really liked the way the geometry felt.

When I get a chance to give it a good ride, I'll write up a review and post some good pics.
Thanks again guys. You helped me pick out a winner!
Never worry about components. They'll probably be changed at some point anyway. Pick a location and go for an adventure
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-30-08, 11:15 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hold up a second. I thought you said it was for your father? As the thread runs, it looks like it changed to being your bike.
Old 12-30-08, 02:50 PM
rugerben

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, it was originally going to be for my father. But he is sold on the idea of steel because of the softer ride. So I am going to sell my Giant TranSend and use the T400 as my daily commuter bike and touring bike instead. Poor me. Having to ride a c-dale. rough life eh?

We're still on the hunt for a good bike for dad. He won't ride till about April anyway, so it's not like it's a HUGE rush. If I find a Cross Check or LHT on ebay or something between now and then it'll be perfect for him.
Old 12-30-08, 05:01 PM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
Enjoy it. It is a very nice bike and I consider that a good price.
Old 12-31-08, 07:46 AM
MrPolak
Just ride it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! Got pics?
Old 12-31-08, 11:17 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
+1 Good touring bikes like the T400 tend to hold their value well.

If you can convince your dad to go with DT shifters, you should be able to find a nice vintage steel bike, like a Trek, for around $150.
Old 02-24-09, 10:30 PM
rugerben

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I figured that since i finally got it set up the way I like, and got it outside, I'd snap some pics for you guys.

Stuff I've added:
1)Ultegra bar-end shifters. Upgrade from RSX DT shifters.
2)Panaracer Pasela TG 700x32's on front and rear. I love these tires. Much better than the crap that was on them before.
3)Brooks B17- Honey.
4) Nashbar gel handlebar pads under the bar tape.
5) New bar tape.

By the way, I love the way this bike rides. It is precise, predictable, and supremely comfortable. I only took it for about a 5 mile ride today (for the first time since I got it. Didn't want to ride it on the salty winter roads), but it didn't have any hint of the harshness I hear about AL frames. It was also not 'mushy' the way people talk about touring bikes. I could build up some serious speed when i put the power in the pedals. I am very impressed.

Edit to add:
The next upgrade is going to be some Kool-Stop salmon pads.

Last edited by rugerben; 02-24-09 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 01:32 AM
mattlavallee

Bikes: '07 Giant Talon, '08 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket 16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've got a '95, biggest reason i got another touring bike was because the T400 was a little too small and i had significant toe overlap. served me well on a 4-week tour no problems other than a couple broken (original) spokes, though. since the photos were taken, i converted it to a flat bar, but i think i liked it better with the drops. i should probably sell it, it's not being ridden much following the acquisition of an LHT and pocket rocket.

Old 02-25-09, 12:29 PM
Btflmutant

Bikes: 17 Salsa Cutthroat, 08 Trek Madone 5.2 Pro, 09 Salsa Fargo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Matt, I've had a Cannondale T-2000 that I've used for the past year that just got totalled. I'm thinking about replacing it with a LHT. How has the LHT worked for you compared to the Cdale? Is the ride "mushier"?
Old 02-25-09, 07:44 PM
rugerben

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Matt- that last pic is beautiful. Wow, just look at that water!!!
Old 02-26-09, 08:18 PM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine was a 94 or 95. It took me over 45k miles of which 9k were fully loaded touring. Somewhere in Texas I hit pothole and cracked the chainstay/dropout.

The last pic taken. (I had ridden from Donaldsonville to New Orleans in a downpour.)

Parts replaced over the years.

On the 3rd front wheel, 4th rear wheel, 2nd derailer(sp), 3rd seat, 2nd set of cranks, 2nd set of DT shifters.

The ride is a bit harsh unloaded and the jumbo frame handles like a winnabego but I would highly recommend the bike for a heavy rider.

Last edited by escii_35; 02-26-09 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 12:04 AM
mattlavallee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Btflmutant
Matt, I've had a Cannondale T-2000 that I've used for the past year that just got totalled. I'm thinking about replacing it with a LHT. How has the LHT worked for you compared to the Cdale? Is the ride "mushier"?
i guess i notice the LHT being a little less harsh on bumps than the T400, but i wouldn't say it is as pronounced as you might expect from what you read. using 35-38c tires on both bikes probably has something to do with that. the biggest thing i noticed was the lower bottom bracket of the LHT, i have to stop pedalling through corners that i wouldn't have on the T400. i haven't thrown all 4 panniers on the LHT for a tour yet so i can't compare fully loaded manners, but i do feel some frame flex when i've got a decent load in the rear panniers and start mashing the pedals. i was kind of surprised to find that i can't fit a large water bottle in the bottom cage on my 60 cm LHT, it's mounted higher than the T400 and bumps the fender (a small bottle would be fine).
Old 02-27-09, 12:08 AM
mattlavallee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and that last pic was taken on one of the piers SW of Melbourne on the Mornington Peninsula