Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 605 & 705 Tips, Tricks & Bugs

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Edge 605 & 705 Tips, Tricks & Bugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 03:55 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may be right luv2climb. It's odd that mapsource shows the various card readers as options. It's a non issue as I did get it to load via USB.

The road thing is really only an issue when making a route through the edge. When using mapsource, I found out that I can manually tell it to not use certain roads in preferences. That is kind of cool. Too bad it doesn't send that to the edge when you send the map.
Old 03-05-09, 04:01 PM
luv2climb

Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was your Edge able to read the maps when you put the card in it? To be sure you need to turn them on in the setup menu.
Old 03-05-09, 09:26 PM
wrobertdavis

Bikes: Surly Bridge Club, 1992 Miyata 914

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulex
You may be right luv2climb. It's odd that mapsource shows the various card readers as options. It's a non issue as I did get it to load via USB.

The road thing is really only an issue when making a route through the edge. When using mapsource, I found out that I can manually tell it to not use certain roads in preferences. That is kind of cool. Too bad it doesn't send that to the edge when you send the map.
I used the avoid area function on mapsource to force the route I wanted. When I loaded it to the garmin, the route used followed exactly what mapsource had routed. I don't know if the avoids were loaded or if it is just a slave to what mapsource sends it,but it worked.

Bob
Old 03-05-09, 09:30 PM
wrobertdavis

Originally Posted by luv2climb
Was your Edge able to read the maps when you put the card in it? To be sure you need to turn them on in the setup menu.
I loaded the updated north american map (2009.1) to a new micro SD card in the garmin. On my old card, which was purchased from Garmin, the points of interest were stored in their own folder. It appears the POI are there for the updated map, but they are stored somewhere else on the garmin now. Do you have any idea where they might be. I want to visually see the data files to be sure that I am looking at updated POI and not the old ones. The POI on the PC got updated in a separate folder with a new larger POI file.

Bob
Old 03-06-09, 09:52 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by luv2climb
I installed mapsource on a different computer, then hooked up my edge and transfered the files that way. So, it was done through the usb, just from a different computer. The map shows up on my edge, and it works.
Old 03-06-09, 09:56 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrobertdavis
I used the avoid area function on mapsource to force the route I wanted. When I loaded it to the garmin, the route used followed exactly what mapsource had routed. I don't know if the avoids were loaded or if it is just a slave to what mapsource sends it,but it worked.

Bob
The avoids don't transfer with a map load, but they do with a route. I made a route in mapsource and transfered it to my edge. It calculated the route, and avoided the road I told it to. Then I ran a where to on the edge that had the same start and stop, and it went on the road I had avoided. The map that is on my edge was sent to it after I had put the avoids on it in mapsource. One feature that would be really nice would be if mapsource included the avoids in a map transfer.

Last edited by Tulex; 03-06-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-06-09, 10:02 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrobertdavis
I loaded the updated north american map (2009.1) to a new micro SD card in the garmin. On my old card, which was purchased from Garmin, the points of interest were stored in their own folder. It appears the POI are there for the updated map, but they are stored somewhere else on the garmin now. Do you have any idea where they might be. I want to visually see the data files to be sure that I am looking at updated POI and not the old ones. The POI on the PC got updated in a separate folder with a new larger POI file.

Bob
I'm not sure about this, but I do know that the first times that I tried to send the whole map to my edge, the .img file was 1.06 gigs. I don't remember the exact kb that breaks down to, but I do know that it was the same each time I tried. BUT, the time I got it to finally work, I had included some waypoints, and the size of the .img file is slightly bigger.
Old 03-08-09, 01:29 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Am I correct that gStart doesn't work with the Edge? What a pain it is that it loads a window for each drive, but won't work with gstart. I don't even know why it loaded gstart, as it didn't do it on my first install, only after installing again after a system restore. Any tech savvy people out there know how to get the edge to autoload on Vista?
Old 03-09-09, 11:15 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, for those that are interested on how to get Training Center, or any other program for that matter, to load when you plug in you Edge 705, here is how. It may work for other versions, I don't know. I did this on Vista 64.

Open notepad and paste the following in

[AutoRun]
OPEN=c:\Garmin\Training Center.EXE
ICON=globe.ico
ACTION=Start my application
LABEL=GARMIN

Save it as autorun.inf into the root directory of your Garmin.

This assumes that Training Center is in the default directory.
Icon is optional. But, if you use an icon, it has to be 256X256. I found free ones at https://www.vistaicons.com/ I could only get it to work if I put it in the root directory of the Garmin. Label is optional, you can call it anything you want. I don't think the action line is required, I just left it in as it was part of the example I found at https://www.samlogic.net/articles/aut...lash-drive.htm

So, if you did it right, you have 3 things in your root directory.
Garmin folder
Any.ico
autorun.inf

Now, for this to work, you have to have autoplay turned on. You have to set "software and games" to "install or run program".

Now, if you don't want the second window to open that shows the contents of the Micro SD card, just drag some various files to the root directory of that drive. I simply created 3 files in notepad that had one word in it and saved them as file.mpg, file.jpg, and file.txt. Then I set "mixed content" in autoplay to "Take no action"

And if you don't know how to get to autoplay settings, go to start, computer, and click on one of the Garmin drives. Autoplay should show on the tool bar above. Click that, and then click "set autoplay defaults in control panel" that is on the bottom of the pop-up window.

Done right, whatever program you have called up will autoload, and when you go to computer, you will have an icon for your drive that you chose, and the name you gave it. And, no explorer windows showing your drive content will pop-up.

A note about editing the inf file. I noticed that if I edited the inf file while it was on the Garmin, the next time I connected the Garmin to the usb cable, I got a window that asked if I wanted to scan my drive for errors. There never were any, but it's best to create a new inf file on your computer if you need to make changes, delete the one on the Garmin, and copy the new file to the Garmin.

Last edited by Tulex; 03-09-09 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 07:49 PM
John5.0

Bikes: Trek 7200FX '07 Madone 5.0 '08 Madone 5.5 '96 DEAN Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Went into Performance @ lunch today, picked up the red phone and had them price match the edge 705 with HR & Cad to Probikekit.com. PBK has it @ $383. Plus, lunch time 10% off...paid a final $345!!!!
Old 03-13-09, 09:17 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I picked up my 705 last week right before a bike trip and it has been great, very easy to learn how to use, plus I love all the information. I have a couple of questions on it though, that I didn't see when reading through this thread.

Is it okay to use in the rain or should I cover it with a baggie of some sort? It seems that it only records for 4 hours on every second recording? I just updated the software to 2.6, will that allow me to record longer with every second recording or should I switch it to the smart recording setting for long rides?
Old 03-13-09, 10:03 PM
luv2climb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian416
Is it okay to use in the rain or should I cover it with a baggie of some sort?
Dont worry about the rain:

The Edge is in a waterproof case in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

It seems that it only records for 4 hours on every second recording? I just updated the software to 2.6, will that allow me to record longer with every second recording or should I switch it to the smart recording setting for long rides?
The 4.5 hour limit was removed in one of the recent updates. You can record all you want till you fill up the onboard memory of the Edge using either 1 second or smart recording. As to which one you should be using, about the only reason to use 1 second is if you are using a power meter. If you are not using the power meter smart recording should work just fine.
Old 03-13-09, 10:22 PM
brian416
Roadie

okay, good to know if can record and is safe in the rain, I stuck it in a baggie earlier this week because I wasn't sure if it was okay to get wet
Old 03-14-09, 12:23 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 5,624 Times in 2,917 Posts
okay, good to know if can record and is safe in the rain, I stuck it in a baggie earlier this week because I wasn't sure if it was okay to get wet
Check out this ride:

https://www.dim.com/~ryoder/gldngtcyn.png

At the middle, (41.5 mile mark), I got caught in a downpour, and took refuge in a campground office.
Once the rain slowed down a bit, I retraced my path home.
Note that the left and right sides of the graph *should* be mirror images.
I believe the vent holes on the underside of the 705 got covered with water.
The steep "cliff" at 66.4 miles coincides with where I finally got to a dry road again.

So while getting the 705 wet did not harm the unit, the elevation accuracy went to hell until it dried off.
Old 03-14-09, 05:58 AM
brian416
Roadie

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Check out this ride:

https://www.dim.com/~ryoder/gldngtcyn.png

At the middle, (41.5 mile mark), I got caught in a downpour, and took refuge in a campground office.
Once the rain slowed down a bit, I retraced my path home.
Note that the left and right sides of the graph *should* be mirror images.
I believe the vent holes on the underside of the 705 got covered with water.
The steep "cliff" at 66.4 miles coincides with where I finally got to a dry road again.

So while getting the 705 wet did not harm the unit, the elevation accuracy went to hell until it dried off.
yep, that looks like one steep downhill
Old 03-15-09, 01:48 PM
stoofa1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
product key

hello everyone just got my 705. happy with it, but need the product key. can anyone help thanks
Old 03-15-09, 02:02 PM
paulrad9
urban biker

Bikes: Haro MTB for commuting and a LHT for everything else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stoofa1
hello everyone just got my 705. happy with it, but need the product key. can anyone help thanks
Do you mean the 15 character key that comes with the maps to bind them to your device?
Old 03-15-09, 03:01 PM
luv2climb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Edge itself does not need a code. Nor do the pre-loaded maps on SD card. If you purchased the maps on DVD the code will be somewhere on the sleeve as was mentioned above.
Old 03-16-09, 12:11 AM
stoofa1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no its telling me i need a 8 didget product key?
Old 03-16-09, 03:16 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 5,624 Times in 2,917 Posts
I have been using a 705 for a year, and have never needed a product key.
What are you doing to cause it to ask?
Old 03-16-09, 09:01 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't read the whole thing, but it could help.

https://www.ski-epic.com/garmin_unloc..._gps_maps.html
Old 03-16-09, 09:31 AM
wrobertdavis

Did you purchase the maps in addition to the Garmin 705? If not,then its asking you for a product key which you do not own. The 8-digit product key for the map is clearly printed on the back of the map CD in 1/2" tall bold letters.

Bob
Old 03-16-09, 09:51 AM
wrobertdavis

Originally Posted by Tulex
I didn't read the whole thing, but it could help.

https://www.ski-epic.com/garmin_unloc..._gps_maps.html
This whole thread sounds like someone downloaded mapsource and tried to license it, but did not have the product key because they had not purchased it. I went through the same experience because I did not understand what I needed to purchase. Once I bought the map CD, I had no problem getting it set up and registered with Garmin.

Garmin's "convoluted process" is because they are trying to control piracy of their maps, which is their lifeblood for ongoing revenue.

Bob
Old 03-16-09, 01:35 PM
stoofa1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive just ordered the the maps. will the product key come with the maps? ive ordered uk and ireland thanks.
Old 03-16-09, 01:45 PM
luv2climb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive just ordered the the maps. will the product key come with the maps? ive ordered uk and ireland thanks.
I imagine that it is the same as the US version so based on that I will say yes. The US NT version comes with the product key on a LARGE green sticker on the back of the sleve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.