Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 12:47 PM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be out riding tonight. Likely later on - say 7PMish.

Really need to start getting into long rides again. I rode out to Brampton and back - 75km - and was feeling like crap. Gotta build up some stamina for the Ride for Heart this year.
Old 03-17-09, 02:20 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 50km ride on the weekend on the singlespeed (out to Port Credit and back). We're starting to get some really gorgeous weather these days. The ladyfriend and I are going to putter around High Park tonight (first time she'll be out on her road bike this season).

11 DEGREES, PEOPLE! Get out there and enjoy it!
Old 03-17-09, 02:53 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding back from Whitby most evenings this week (not Friday) if anyone wants to join me. I leave Brock/Dundas (more like Brock/Mary specifically) around 6:30 with an ETA of 8:30 downtown (it's about 2:00/2:15 total to my house at Queen/Ronces including time to huff a bowl along the way). Door to door is about 53k for me, which isn't so bad and there's no *serious* hills, as I skip the Hwy 2 Rouge Hill in favour of Lawrence/Starspray, which is much gentler.

PM if anyone wants to join me.

krusty, I'll definitely holler if I'm doing the same - I take Petticoat Creek (at the end of Whites Rd) down to the lake and into that little beach park deal at the end of Lawrence, then up Lawrence to the lakeside path at Rouge Hill GO, then up past the water treatment place, along the service road and eventually go over to Guildwood GO-station area to connect back with Kingston Rd. (city route 17 or 16 once you leave the lakeshore path). That means I'm ways south, but I can meet - I might not have time tonight as I have to stop off at DVP/Eg, but I'll likely be riding home all week unless the wind flares up IN MY FACE!

Last edited by Flimflam; 03-17-09 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 03:04 PM
MattRennick
Not Superstitious

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, IRO Mark V, Rocky Mountain Fusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shapelike
I did a 50km ride on the weekend on the singlespeed (out to Port Credit and back). We're starting to get some really gorgeous weather these days. The ladyfriend and I are going to putter around High Park tonight (first time she'll be out on her road bike this season).

11 DEGREES, PEOPLE! Get out there and enjoy it!
did that ride on the weekend as well... weather was beautiful, ride was fun... but i'm horribly out of shape. haha
Old 03-17-09, 03:14 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of group rides/ride for heart - anyone else doing the 75k?

Anyone want to ride together? Kergin?

I'll be riding the 75k route fixed @ 80GI.
Old 03-17-09, 03:50 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of taking a shot at the 75k. If you want someone to drop in the first 5k, I'm your dude
Old 03-17-09, 04:10 PM
STEEKER
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdAOZ...y080707-103912 old but sooo cool ya
Old 03-17-09, 04:18 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
I'm thinking of taking a shot at the 75k. If you want someone to drop in the first 5k, I'm your dude
I won't be thrashing it, it's tempting to hop on the back of the peletons, but I'm brakeless right now and wouldn't feel safe drafting roadies (it's a huge rush ) - if we're doing a group thing, we may as well all stick together for the fun.
Old 03-17-09, 05:09 PM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flimflam
I won't be thrashing it, it's tempting to hop on the back of the peletons, but I'm brakeless right now and wouldn't feel safe drafting roadies (it's a huge rush ) - if we're doing a group thing, we may as well all stick together for the fun.
I am doing the 75 for sure, and if you want to make arrangements, I'll ride with you. As it stands, I'm slated for an early start because I'm doing it with my corporate team, but if you want I can hang easy until the 75 mass start. If I can raise $400, I'm doing it fixed.
Old 03-17-09, 05:12 PM
exhibitx
Balls

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm riding back from Whitby most evenings this week (not Friday) if anyone wants to join me. I leave Brock/Dundas (more like Brock/Mary specifically) around 6:30 with an ETA of 8:30 downtown (it's about 2:00/2:15 total to my house at Queen/Ronces including time to huff a bowl along the way). Door to door is about 53k for me, which isn't so bad and there's no *serious* hills, as I skip the Hwy 2 Rouge Hill in favour of Lawrence/Starspray, which is much gentler.
I think I posted this before, but what's the route to get to the guildwood go through the back? i hate riding lawrence and i hate riding kingston north of guildwood ... i know there is that huge hill just past the go station you can take down and get connected to the waterfront trail, do you take that back east?

my parents live around port union and lawrence and i've never found a route going back east that i like, going west is easy
Old 03-17-09, 05:27 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Speaking of first adventures of the year, on Sunday tam and I went from the whitby go station to the purple woods conservation area.. and then since we were in the neighbourhood we swung by lake scugog and then back. It's nice out that way... I think I'll plan some longer routes out that way this summer.

Last edited by I_bRAD; 03-17-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 06:01 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
^^^ sweet I did the same ride last summer with my gf. Good stuff!
Old 03-17-09, 06:16 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, it was nice. Bonus was the fact that we came home with 3L of maple syrup obtained less than 10m from the sugar shack
Old 03-17-09, 09:59 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seems the threads on the non drive side of my b/b are stripped. The cup threads in but won't tighten. The drive side in snug but the other just spins. Suggetions please.
Become reality to me
Old 03-17-09, 11:39 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exhibitx
I think I posted this before, but what's the route to get to the guildwood go through the back? i hate riding lawrence and i hate riding kingston north of guildwood ... i know there is that huge hill just past the go station you can take down and get connected to the waterfront trail, do you take that back east?

my parents live around port union and lawrence and i've never found a route going back east that i like, going west is easy
The past two nights I've taken the waterfront trail west right past that first water treatment place (up the steep hill after the metalled bridge). I then take the service road (Copperfield Rd) past the baseball/sports arena and that other water/whatever place, then cross those tracks and ride to the first stop, take a left and follow the "16 West" city route until I hit... Galloway Road, which I go up to Kingston from there. Much more pleasant (though there are some big bumps on some of the road seams) and pretty easy going.

Just looked it up on the maps, it's Manse Rd. from the southern most tip up to Coronation Dr. and across to Galloway.
Old 03-18-09, 06:20 AM
duppy.conqueror
::3 o'clock roadblock::

Bikes: IRO jaimie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STEEKER
wow man...thats wicked!
that guy should be a pro footballer!
Old 03-18-09, 06:59 AM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pyze-guy
Seems the threads on the non drive side of my b/b are stripped. The cup threads in but won't tighten. The drive side in snug but the other just spins. Suggetions please.
bummer. My suggestions:
1. chase the shell and see
2. re-thread to Italian (but if it's a MTB frame finding a spindle may be hard)
3. use one of those Mavic BBs for damaged shell

or is it one of those plastic cups on a cartridge BB? Perhaps the cup is stripped...

Last edited by tuz; 03-18-09 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 07:18 AM
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i believe you could get it re-threaded to italian if the bb shell is a 68. not sure which shops could do it but i'm sure malcom could...could something similar be done with a 74 mtb bb?

i think i just got indoctrinated to fatherhood; my son just barfed all down my back.
Old 03-18-09, 07:55 AM
pyze-guy
Yup

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
i believe you could get it re-threaded to italian if the bb shell is a 68. not sure which shops could do it but i'm sure malcom could...could something similar be done with a 74 mtb bb?

i think i just got indoctrinated to fatherhood; my son just barfed all down my back.
Receiving blankets. Always keep them around.
Become reality to me
Old 03-18-09, 08:09 AM
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Receiving blankets. Always keep them around.
i had one on! he managed to miss the blanket completely and get everything else. i just bought this t-shirt!
Old 03-18-09, 09:00 AM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The past two nights I've taken the waterfront trail west right past that first water treatment place (up the steep hill after the metalled bridge). I then take the service road (Copperfield Rd) past the baseball/sports arena and that other water/whatever place, then cross those tracks and ride to the first stop, take a left and follow the "16 West" city route until I hit... Galloway Road, which I go up to Kingston from there. Much more pleasant (though there are some big bumps on some of the road seams) and pretty easy going.

Just looked it up on the maps, it's Manse Rd. from the southern most tip up to Coronation Dr. and across to Galloway.
You can also cut down Livingston from the Guildwood GO station, then up Catalina iirc, which will bring you up eventually to Hill Cres via Bethune, allowing you to finally join Kingston at Bellamy (keep going on Hill after Markham Rd), avoiding the Eglinton intersection. There is, however, one good hill going up to Hill Cres. on Bethune.

Last edited by krusty; 03-18-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 11:15 AM
pyze-guy
Yup

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well tapping the threads didn't work. Seems the b/b itself is screwed up. The fixed cup is off and the loose side was stuck on the b/b slightly crooked. When I fixed it and threaded it back in, well lets say when I gave a little presure on the crank it basically pulled the b/b right out of the frame. Now the shell is toast. Crap, crap, crap. Threadless b/b is the only option now I guess.
Become reality to me
Old 03-18-09, 02:42 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My buddy at work (bottom of Yogne) is looking for a bike friendly (he's a new commuter) route from Bayview/Laurence... I think that where he's coming from. Anyone have a magic route?
Old 03-18-09, 04:04 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
My buddy at work (bottom of Yogne) is looking for a bike friendly (he's a new commuter) route from Bayview/Laurence... I think that where he's coming from. Anyone have a magic route?
Don Valley Recreational trail could cover a lot of that route and is one of the best rides in the city. He could get onto it from Edwards Gardens and take it down south.
Old 03-18-09, 04:04 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, it's gonna be fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.