Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't install tire on rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 10:50 PM
ms2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a pair of new Vittoria Rubino Pro II tires and cannot install them on my Araya CTL-370. This may be the worst tire/rim combination because I've tried to install them without the tube to see if it can be installed but I'm far from being able to put the bead into the rim. I just can't get the last 20 degrees in.

It's a old rim (late 80s), perhaps they had slightly different sizes back then? I don't know. It just seems like the tire cannot be installed.

I haven't brought it to my LBS yet because I want to get it on myself.

Any advice?
Old 03-31-09, 11:04 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Check the size printed on the old tire vs the size printed on the new tire?
Old 03-31-09, 11:09 PM
ms2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're both 700c.
Old 03-31-09, 11:39 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 58 Posts
Some tires are a b!tch! I've had lots of fun with Gatorskins and Armadillos. I just bought some Park Tool TL-5 levers. I used them today for the first time and these babies are serious!
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/ppttl...ver_set/pp.htm

Also, Kool Stop has a Tire Jack I may get if I ever run across a tire that the Park levers can't handle.
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e.aspx?sc=FRGL
Old 03-31-09, 11:46 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 105 Posts
Brake goop on the rim increases friction noticeably. Take the rim and some 3M nylon pads with some soap and clean the edge and braking surface thoroughly. Mount tire as much as possible and apply liquid or
soft soap to the rim edge to lube the final bit. It has worked for me. The Park shop tire tool is also
helpful. OTOH not sure I would want to mount such a tire, the horror of trying to dismount it 6-12mo
down the road 40mi out with plastic tire tools would dissuade me. Went through this with some known
oversized Velocity 406 rims in '00. Try the tires on some other (suckers) rim just for grins. Or better,
if possible return the tires.
Old 04-01-09, 05:08 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
The Kool Stop Tire-Jack works like a charm. As does the one from VAR - which are scarce in the USA, but I like them better. Here's a link to a seller of the VAR Super Tyre Tool:

https://cgi.ebay.com/VAR-Super-Tyre-T...742.m153.l1262

You only need one of either of these.
Old 04-01-09, 12:08 PM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On difficult tires I have had to use wide tire levers such as Pedros, sometimes I use C clamps on my workbench and tire to prevent unravelling, and sometimes an automobile tire polish or a bike frame polish will help.
Old 04-01-09, 12:38 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

The Kool Stop or VAR will pull the tightest, meanest tire alive up and over the rim and seat it. They work like magic.
Old 04-01-09, 06:22 PM
h. bicycletus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you really want to carry a Kool Stop Tire Jack with you when you ride? If that's the only way you can change your tire when you have a flat on the road, I would strongly recommend different tires. I couldn't mount Conti 400's on the same rims that easily take Vredestein Fortezza Quatros- - -both 700c, same wheel that used to take Conti 3000's. . .some just won't mount and roadside flat repairs aren't fun when you can't get the tire off and back on. . .
Old 04-01-09, 06:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
1. When putting the second tire bead onto the rim always start opposite the valve stem because the tube by the valve stem is a little thicker.

2. Work in both directions as far as you can.

3. When you get stuck, hold the tire vertically in front of you with the valve stem nearest the ground. Pinch the tire beads together at the top to be sure they aren't seated.

4. Now grab the tire at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions. Try to push it straight down. What you are trying to do is to concentrate all of the slack in the area of the tire that has yet to be seated onto the rim. Slide your hands down and try to force the remaining bit of tire onto the rim.

MOST times I'm able to install the tire without using any tools. (I have been known to cheat.) Using a similar reverse process, I'm also generally able to remove a tire from the rim without using tire levers.
Old 04-01-09, 06:47 PM
mishmashmusic
Vinyl Junkie

Bikes: Miele Gara, Schwinn Moab 2, Specialized Hardrock, various other bikes in disrepair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the VAR small enough to put in a saddle pack? It's hard to tell from the photo
Old 04-01-09, 10:04 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Yes - the VAR is much more compact when compared with the Kool Stop Tire Jack. It measures 5 1/4 inches by 1 inch by 1 inch. Easy fit in most any bike-bag. Or a shirt pocket. I carry one on each of my bikes. No more metal rattling around.
Old 04-06-09, 07:50 AM
mishmashmusic
Vinyl Junkie

Bikes: Miele Gara, Schwinn Moab 2, Specialized Hardrock, various other bikes in disrepair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered a VAR tool, hopefully it's as good as everyone says it is! The last time I tried to put on tires I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown
Old 04-06-09, 10:43 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Do give us a review. That guy in Texas ships Priority Mail. You should have it in a few days.
Old 04-06-09, 11:00 AM
zac

Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As was said some tire/rim combos are a *****.

Couple things:
1) Pre-stretch the tires. Mount them on the rims overnight without tubes. Take a set of plastic tire irons and using them upside down, pull the tire bead over the rim lip by hooking the iron on the rim.

2) Also try initially pre-stretching by hand: With sneakers on stand on the tire and pull up, stretching it like a big rubber band. Rotate the tire and repeat several times.

3) lube the rim with soapy water or baby powder. I use baby powder and always pre-treat the inside of the tire and the tube with it so it doesn't get bunched up inside when inflating.

4) Get the Park TL-10 and lube the business end. https://www.parktool.com/products/det...=17&item=TL-10. Works okay, especially if you are doing many sets of tires, but if only one set, then plastic irons are just as good.

HTH
zac

Hammer Nutrition 15% Referral Discount
MassBike.org - Same Road, Same Rules
Old 04-06-09, 11:12 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

I agree. I have a Park Tool TL-10 for my shop - but wouldn't dream of carrying "the beast" on a ride. Unless I had a support-van pacing me. LOL. For those tires that hate you, the VAR is my carry-tool of choice.
Old 04-06-09, 11:37 AM
WillFam-Reno
WillFam-Clovis,CA

Bikes: Triplet, Trek T200, 5200 USPS, 660, Y-frame MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It has not been mentioned yet, and is less likely, but if you have trouble putting other tires on this rim, or if this is the first replacement, check the rim liner to make sure it is not too thick. The tire beads should seat into the deep center of the rim while installing the tire.
Old 04-06-09, 08:31 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

This would be a good time to examine the rim. If you're using Velox rim-strap, it can be removed - carefully - and then check around each eyelet for any cracks. Basically give the wheel a physical. Then put the Velox back in place.

If you're not using Velox, this would be a good time to pick up some. Most would agree that it's the best.
Old 04-07-09, 04:18 PM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just use some steel core tire levers to install and remove 700x25 and 700x28 conti gatorskins on my road wheels. The portable, compact version of the kool stop bead jack works OK but the big, bulky black version of the Bead Jack works even better.
Old 04-07-09, 04:27 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Filtzer Shop Tire Levers worked great mounting conti GP 4000's on an old wolber rim. Kevlar bead seemed easier than wire, at least for Conti.

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442620830
Old 04-07-09, 04:35 PM
gbg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h. bicycletus
do you really want to carry a Kool Stop Tire Jack with you when you ride? If that's the only way you can change your tire when you have a flat on the road, I would strongly recommend different tires. I couldn't mount Conti 400's on the same rims that easily take Vredestein Fortezza Quatros- - -both 700c, same wheel that used to take Conti 3000's. . .some just won't mount and roadside flat repairs aren't fun when you can't get the tire off and back on. . .
+1
It might make fixing a flat 1000X worse than it is already.
Old 04-07-09, 07:31 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Due to the issue of bulk, the OP has ordered the VAR - which is quite small and lightweight. Easy to carry and use while on the road. I do recommend tires with a Kevlar belt, such as Conti Grand Prix 4000 S tires. And Gatorskins. Close to bullet-proof.