Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton Seat height solution / fitted lights

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 05:22 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have now had my new Brompton for 3 weeks so I thought that I would tell you about a couple of simple mods that I have done.

1st seat height:
I have read on various forums about the problems/solutions that some people have with setting the seat height. I rode around for a while until I found the correct height for me and then marked the post with a red permanent marker pen (the mark is still there 3 weeks on).

I called into Hein Gericke Store in Chester and bought some clear protective film https://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/p...oducts_id/7274 (it is about 0.5 mm thick sheet) the plan was to buy this to cover parts of my Brompton that I thought might be susceptible to wear from cable rub or general scuffs....... anyhow I had a flash of inspiration... I pulled up my seat as far as it would go and measured the distance between the mark and the frame. I then cut a corresponding size strip of the film, dropped the seat back down (with the bike in the un-folded ready to ride form) and wrapped a piece of film around the bottom of the seat tube.

With the film in place, when I pull up the seat it automatically stops at the correct height. This film has now been on nearly 3 weeks and is not showing any sign of wear or peeling off. I don’t know how long it might last, but even if I have to replace it every few months, it is cheap and simple to change.

2nd Lights:
When the trains are running properly I only need to ride for a mile or so to / from the station. Occasionally it all goes pear shaped so this is where the Brompton really comes into its own as a “get me home bike”. I wanted LED lights for the odd time I might have to ride home in the dark, but I didn’t want them fitted to either the handle bars or the seat post.

Rear light: I took off the standard Brompton rear reflector and using an optional bracket https://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027304/...MOUNTING-.html I fitted a Cateye TL-D610 https://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027314/...5-LED-RED.html . I had to use a couple of washers between the plastic Cateye bracket and the steel Brompton bracket just so that I could operate the little lamp release tab on the plastic bracket. The light fits fine and does not touch the ground when the bike is folded up.

Front light: I took off the standard Brompton front reflector and adapted a belt / clothing clip https://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027319/...BELT-CLIP.html to fit the existing Brompton bracket ... drilled hole it the plastic bracket, filed the head of a bolt flat and fitted a nut behind. Used a little araldite glue to add some strength and then fitted a https://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027295/...LED-WHITE.html

I now have a bike with a basic set of lights that take up hardly any space, nor detract from my bikes good looks. For winter / distance rides I will strap on a pair of Lockblocks on to the handle bars https://www.flashaholics.co.uk/bike-l...lockblock.html and use my every day carry torches.
Old 04-15-09, 07:12 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife has an extended seatpost on her Brompton. I trimmed and flared the bottom of the seatpost so it just has to be lifted until it stops and is at the correct height. Yours is a less permanent solution that sounds as useful.
Old 04-15-09, 08:25 AM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love using lockblocks and flashlights!! My headlamp is a tiny tiny romisen on a lockblock that is super bright and very unobtrusive, since the velcro mount just swings out of the way when folding (see electronics forum for more info on romisen; I highly recommend it as a cheaper yet still great quality fenix flashlight substitute). Moving the light between bikes is so easy and convenient with the lockblock. This is great for people who regularly use multiple bikes (I'm looking at ALL of you ). No, I'm not affiliated with twofish or romisen; I'm just a very happy customer

Great idea about the protective film! In the couple weeks I've had my brommie, it already got a couple of paint dings on the rear triangle where the front clip attaches, and on the stem, where some lady scratched it with her fold-up cart. Commuting bikes, no matter how cheap or expensive, have to suffer through this, I'm afraid. I'll definitely get touch-up paint and fix those scratches, then put similar protective film on those parts. As for putting it on the seatpost--also brilliant! But I like the permanent marker method better because as a woman I wear heels sometimes, and have to adjust the seatpost height depending on the heel. Multiple marker lines for multiple heel heights!
Old 04-16-09, 09:52 AM
cyclistjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nekohime
But I like the permanent marker method better because as a woman I wear heels sometimes, and have to adjust the seatpost height depending on the heel. Multiple marker lines for multiple heel heights!
Nice to see you're enjoying your Brompton, nekohime.

Reading your post, I thought, "hmmm, never thought about heel heights", but hang on, don't you have the ball of your foot on the pedal?

I just asked my wife, & she says she has the same post height irrespective of heel height, but may change it if sole height is different.

BTW, I looked at that flowery lace basket you mentioned a link to, but it was a poor pic'. Have you seen any better, or did you see the real thing?

John
Old 04-16-09, 01:18 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclistjohn
Nice to see you're enjoying your Brompton, nekohime.

Reading your post, I thought, "hmmm, never thought about heel heights", but hang on, don't you have the ball of your foot on the pedal?

I just asked my wife, & she says she has the same post height irrespective of heel height, but may change it if sole height is different.

BTW, I looked at that flowery lace basket you mentioned a link to, but it was a poor pic'. Have you seen any better, or did you see the real thing?

John
I wear a lot of wedge heels with different thickness of soles, which makes the ball height different for different shoes. For regular heels you can get away with not adjusting, but not for wedges.

I think someone in the women's forum has that basket--I'll ask her about it and report back here.
Old 04-16-09, 09:31 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclistjohn

John
Found the thread discussing this bike on the women's forum, complete with pics and mixed reviews.

I decided to buy one of those Carrie baskets. First I saw it online, and wasn' too sure so I checked out the green at the MoMa. I was torn because it was pretty (different) but wasn't certain about some features including the tabs. I'd been planning to get a wicker basket until I saw this.

A few days later I decided to get the Carrie. Partly because I could find wicker any time, but these might not stick around? Also I liked the shoulder strap although the darn tabs jab into my hip. (WHY are there tabs???) Finally I liked that the nylon would be easy to clean thouroughly, and I am a tad ocd.

Here is mine on my omafiets. I liked the lacy black gothic look White seemed cool too, but maybe would scuff too quickly?

I was going to have to get it online for the black I thought, then found the store I was ordering from was in Brooklyn. I went there and it was a high priced furnishings place sort of like the one described earlier.

It does bounce a bit, which I'd been afraid of, but if loaded it is fine. It never bounced off either. For me the point is to have it loaded otherwise it comes right off.
The problem I HAVE encountered is that the mounting bracket hates my bars. No matter how tight I screw it the thing slides and the bottom made a groove in my bike. I relpaced the screws after trying too often because they stripped. I found the same type at Central Tractor. I am still figuring out what ot do about the slipage though, maybe tape under the contact point before attaching?

Maybe I wish it could hold more, but it was meant (for me) to hold my purse pretty much. I have a back rack for heavy things.
My mom has one...and loves it.

tired

So I went to see the basket today. I'm not going to buy it.

First of all, it was a hideous shopping experience. It's pretty much an overpriced decor store whose customer base seems to be the people who purchase the incredibly expensive yet tiny high-rise condos in the part of Portland called the "Pearl District". The Pearl district used to have warehouses, some light industrial, and low-income housing but they bulldozed all that to build Yuppieland. It's a sunny but windy day here, and so my hair is not the tidiest after a 5 mile bike ride. I walk in there and the salesperson takes one look at me with the ugliest glare. I looked around to see if I had run over a kitten or something, but nope - no maimed kittens or puppies to be found. As she gets closer to me, her glare changes to the most simpering smile I've seen since the last time I visited Southern California and upon asking, points me in the direction of the baskets. I scurry away from her - this woman really scares me.

There are 2 points in its favor. This store only wants $45 USD for it, which seems to be the lowest price of all the sources I've seen on the internet. (No sales tax in Oregon, either.) Also, there's a really nice display for the basket, especially when you consider that this is not a bike shop. It was a tripod stand with a set of bike handlebars attached to the top. The basket is installed, so I could see exactly how it works. I wish I could have taken pictures to share here, but I was reluctant to take out my camera with that salesperson giving me the evil eye. There's a metal plate attached to the handlebars and at the top, there are these flat, metal "fingers" that come out of the top. As you can see in the picture below, there are 2 "slots" molded into the back of the basket. The basket has a carrying strap. You insert those fingers into the slots and that's how it's held. I think the picture blickblocks posted of her mom's bike shows what I'm trying to describe pretty well.

I am skeptical of the fastening method. There is no additional latch or anything like that. I fear that the basket will go flying when you hit a pothole of any significance. There should be a latch on the bottom of the basket that secures it to the bottom of the metal plate. I'm also dubious about the basket itself. It's molded plastic, and the bottom is too flimsy. It's going to sag and bow if you put anything heavier than a moderately sized purse in it. Since my bike is my car, that's not particularly useful to me. If they reinforced the bottom with metal mesh and had the "skeleton" of the basket be metal instead of plastic, I think it would have been doable. (You can see the "skeleton" at the top of the basket at the base of the scallops.) Finally, I just don't like those scallops at the top. The basket was meant to evoke crochet lace stitches, and while they make the basket rather authentic-looking in that respect, it's just not practical for utility biking. Those scallops are going to catch onto things and break off. They also make it more difficult to use a bungee net to keep your things in the basket.

One other thing - the black and white look as they appear in internet photos, but that green basket is deceiving. It looks like a "sage green" on the internet, but is a brighter and deeper "kelly green" in Real Life. I like sage green, but I'm not so fond of kelly green. These things are important.

So I can say without a doubt that I will not be buying this basket. It's not useful to me, in spite of how pretty I find it. That said, it might not be bad for others. If you weren't going to put more than a purse or eggs or other lightweight items, it would work if you figured out a way to really secure the basket at the bottom. It sure would look lovely on a cruiser or a mixte.
Old 04-17-09, 09:53 AM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always have a different seat height depending on the shoes I'm wearing (and I'm a male, so no heels). My dress shoes have thinner soles than my running or casual shoes, and there's even about a 1cm variation between my black dress shoes and my brown ones. I drew a line with a permanent marker that's in the general area, and I just have to remember to adjust it up or down a bit depending on the shoes I'm wearing that day
Old 04-23-09, 10:13 AM
cyclistjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nekohime
Found the thread discussing this bike on the women's forum, complete with pics and mixed reviews.
Thanks nekohime. I must read the women's forum as their responses are quite detailed, & that last post is hilarious - she has a great sense of humour ;-)

John