Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bar Tape Vs. No Bar Tape

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bar Tape Vs. No Bar Tape

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 09:38 PM
Aries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he clearly said preference is preference. if he prefers not to wrap his bars, what effect does it have on ANY other person/biker on the road?
Old 04-22-09, 10:09 PM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes its preference, a dangerous preference. and just like he has the right to wrap his bars, or not, this discussion forum will post its opinions on how useless an unwrapped handlebar is whether it affects us or not.
Old 04-22-09, 10:15 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Aries
he clearly said preference is preference. if he prefers not to wrap his bars, what effect does it have on ANY other person/biker on the road?
My preference is to see people with no sense called out for what they are. Silly.

PS, your post is the internet equivalent of shouting 'LEAVE ME ALOOOOOOOONE'. I prefer people like you get thicker skins and stop thinking you are some universe unto yourselves that we dare not speak of.
Old 04-22-09, 10:41 PM
Aries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, so now this is directed at ME? I'm just defending the guy because he's doing what he wants to do. To be honest, I could care less and I'm sure your opinions dont matter to him at all either. He's just saying what he likes to do. But now riding w/o tape is OMG "DANGEROUS!!!!" Be careful, youre going to lose grip riding at breakneck speed! Theres probably something dumb about your bike or riding preferences or habits that he finds stupid or "silly" as well. It's bikeforums, not life. suck a fat one
Old 04-22-09, 11:02 PM
pompadork
anhedonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mentioned that grips-on-the-drops thing in another thread a few days ago because often enough I see people riding the top of the drops (untaped) and not using the grip on the drops at all.

I actually don't mind the look of both ~

(Credit - someone who posts here.)
Old 04-22-09, 11:06 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
For distances farther then like 5 miles, tape the bars.
Old 04-23-09, 08:24 AM
Dhorochokaro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said...but this is coming from a hipster who rides his track grips to the coffee shop and back (IMHO - track grips look better than all but the very best wrap jobs). Anyways, for longer rides I bring out the gears.

HYOH
Old 04-23-09, 08:32 AM
Redline927
asphalt demon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was doing 35+ mile rides all the time, I'm sure I'd put some bar tape on them. I ride my bike around college campus, rarely more than 10 miles a day. Im in no rush to run out for bar tape. My bars feel, look, and work fine for me, period. thank you all for your concern.
Old 04-23-09, 08:35 AM
Redline927
asphalt demon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thetank
So if you ride your track bars on the tops 95% of the time the only proper thing to do is to leave them bare because most of the people who ride track bars do so?
I was simply pointing out that it is a very common thing to do. A simple search on velospace for "track drops" yields hundreds of bikes setup like this. Because its PREFERENCE. If it was that big a deal, I think less people would be riding like that. So yes, the proper thing to do (for me) is leave them bare for 1) I bought them like that 2) It saves me $16 3) I like the way it looks 4) It feels fine 5) I haven't fallen off my bike because of lack of bar tape, and I never will
Old 04-23-09, 08:44 AM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Bikes: Felt F1x

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dude don't wrap your bars because "the man" is making you.

j.k. if your palms sweat even a little bit or it's rained in the past 2 days then you're gonna be sliding all over them tape that thing
Old 04-23-09, 09:07 AM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, it's not that BIG of a difference. I ride with bar tape, most people do. But I've also ridden without it and I don't see what the big deal is. It's definitely not the dumbest thing someone could do to their bike.

TBH, if you feel that it's stupid to ride without bar tape, then you also must not ride brakeless, right? But I'm sure there are plenty of people here who ride brakeless. TBH, a greater case could be made that it is stupid to ride brakeless than that it is stupid to ride without bar tape.

Anyhow, I am not advocating no bar tape. Certainly, it has undeniable functionality. But if someone doesn't have it, it's not like OMGWTFBBQ UR DUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
Old 04-23-09, 09:26 AM
cblaster

Bikes: 199X Bicycle Corporation of America Rival Road Bike, 1970s Auto-Mini Junior, 2009 Windsor Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim-bob
anyone doing that is a bad person.
yes, I agree with my hands.
Old 04-23-09, 10:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,958 Posts
Originally Posted by jim-bob
Drops with no bar tape is stupid as hell and anyone doing that is a Bad Person.
No; they don't like their bikes and leaving the bars bare means they can tell people "I'm just test riding this POS before I finish the bars and push it out the door."
Old 04-23-09, 10:49 AM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thetank
So if you ride your track bars on the tops 95% of the time the only proper thing to do is to leave them bare because most of the people who ride track bars do so?
Isn't it pretty stupid to run track drops if you ride on the tops 95% of the time anyways?
Old 04-23-09, 10:50 AM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because untaped bars are a saftey hazard to yourself and the people you run into?
Old 04-23-09, 10:52 AM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redline927
If I was doing 35+ mile rides all the time, I'm sure I'd put some bar tape on them. I ride my bike around college campus, rarely more than 10 miles a day. Im in no rush to run out for bar tape. My bars feel, look, and work fine for me, period. thank you all for your concern.
Uh yea, since your riding through crowds I think bar tape is kind of important.
Old 04-23-09, 10:58 AM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clink83
Uh yea, since your riding through crowds I think bar tape is kind of important.
I don't. Bar plugs? Ya, sure. Lack of bar tape? Srsly not a huge hazard to people on a college campus.

In my days of riding throughout college, and since then, I have hit zero people (except during bike polo) and fallen a total of 1 time (except during bike polo). TBH, riding through campus really doesn't pose any potential danger to others.

And even if I did hit someone, I really doubt the bar tape would make any difference.
Old 04-23-09, 11:09 AM
Yellowbeard

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden without bar tape, when I was still testing for the best position for the hoods, and it certainly didn't feel dangerous. It just felt like crap, in every way.
Old 04-23-09, 11:37 AM
rudetay

Bikes: Serotta Colorado III Track (Renyolds Ouzo Pro Aero Fork, Dura-Ace to Mavic CXP-14 wheels, Sugino crank, Thomson and 3T the rest), Steelman Cyclocross (Campy Record 10, Deda Newton & Thomson stuff)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deda makes both chrome and clear bar tape...best of both worlds!
Old 04-23-09, 11:52 AM
FixedCommuter
Still learning to coast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
isn't it pretty stupid to run track drops if you ride on the tops 95% of the time anyways?
+1
Old 04-23-09, 12:21 PM
Geordi Laforge
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is stupid hipster ****
wrap your bars if you actually ride your bike.
Old 04-23-09, 12:35 PM
skloot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't it pretty stupid to run track drops if you ride on the tops 95% of the time anyways?
I see this constantly. Annoys me to no end. I know I shouldn't care how other people are riding, but... practicality anyone?
Old 04-23-09, 12:59 PM
devilshaircut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with drops and only use the top unless I am pushing with a group of friends. But I see no problem with having drops, so what if you only use the top? A lot of SS bikes come with drops stock, why spend the extra money to get risers or bullhorns? Obviously having drops is superfluous, but so is going out of your way to get straight bars.
Old 04-23-09, 01:01 PM
skloot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm referring to people that consciously buy track drops, then never actually use the drops. Seems rather impractical to me.
Old 04-23-09, 01:05 PM
devilshaircut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't say impractical, really. It is basically like a commuter buying a 24 speed road bike instead of a 10 speed (hell, a 3 speed). It's superfluous. But I think I agree with your overall notion that it isn't the perfect solution to their needs. Like I said about the bar tape though, there are MUCH more egregiously bad decisions cyclists make ... so when I see someone riding drops on the road and not fully using them, I am not bothered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.