Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ BF Observation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ BF Observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 11:07 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Can someone explain the Diego thing? I don't understand.
Yeah, what he said! Who the hail are the Diegos?!

Count me as a recent addition, too, because I couldn't find 48+ forum a couple years ago. I do agree that, of the few forums here I visit, this is the most enjoyable and comfortable place to hang for a bit.
Old 05-10-09, 11:43 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Rare posts from Beverly, Solvang, Yen and the like. Don't know why.
Maybe Solveg doesn't post because people confuse her with a mock-Danish town known for it's cookies.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-11-09, 12:17 AM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read, and very occasionally posted here, for about 2 years. I have always felt like a noob and, once in a while, this forum takes on the character of a bad high school reunion complete with cliques who only talk with those they have known for a long time, or with those with whom they feel some sort of affinity. Lots of in-jokes and back-slapping. Lately, this forum seems flat to me. I read it once in a while, but honestly I get much more out of the road forum in terms of talk about biking - even though there are a lot of toxins to filter over there...
Old 05-11-09, 04:20 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah who are the Diegos?

I need to know,,,well want to know. Are they anything like PCad in the Roadie Section? A hundred posts and nothing said.
Old 05-11-09, 04:37 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The Diegos were banned several years ago. They are best left there. For those who think that the forum is somewhat less than what they desire................start some threads so that we can see what you would like to discuss. Batter up.
Old 05-11-09, 04:52 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 714 Times in 445 Posts
I have never been a prolific poster, and lately haven't been riding much, so not much for me to post about. It's rained so much around here lately, that when it does shine, I've got to catch up with the grass and other things which need done outside. Got to the point where I put dual purpose tires on the mtn.bike because it rains so much that the trails aren't fit to be ridden. Of course, that doesn't stop some in this area, just hoping the few jerks don't cause the trails to be close to those who obey trail etiquette. The most fun I've had biking lately was the Thunder Over Louisville fireworks show which precedes the Derby. Lots of fun riding the mtn.bike on downtown streets, and lots faster than trying to get around by car! Great fireworks too! It does seem the ladies have fallen off in posting lately. But maybe once the riding season gets in full swing, and the monsoons end, things will pick up.
Old 05-11-09, 05:36 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A forum is the sum of the posters, no more and no less. The character of the 50+ forum has changed over the years, changed back, changed again etc., etc. No one can control that, and no one should try.

There are folks who are positive contributors, there are folks who hate the forum, and don't mind saying so, there are folks who feel "in" and folks who feel "out."

So, what is new?

Isn't this just like life?

Don't like it - then go somewhere else.

Want more bicycling content - then post more bicycling content.

Tired of it? - then go away for awhile.

What I just don't understand is someone so filled with hate or whatever who continually puts down the forum. Why waste the time? There are something like 60+ different forums in BFN. There are other major cycling forums besides BFN. Go somewhere you feel comfortable. Perhaps your personality type requires you to continuously criticize? Well, please do that somewhere else!

I don't participate much more in the road forum because I just don't fit in, and I don't enjoy it. My choice. But I don't go there and tell them how awful they are. Because they are not, they are just different than I am.

Have a great day.
Old 05-11-09, 07:54 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My original comment about the Diegos* was tongue-in-cheek, folks. Hence the smiley immediately after.

I think Dnvr summed it up best just above.

----

*For those wondering "who were the Diegos?": They were a group of fictitious posters (aka "sock puppets"), each with the surname Diego, who said outrageous things. Two of the main ones were a smarmy lounge-singer/Rat Pack wannabe and the other a law'n'order authoritarian based very loosely on the main charcter from the old Dragnet. Basically a running inside gag here until the mods shut them down.

I never knew who was behind them -- if it indeed was one person.

Last edited by bcoppola; 05-11-09 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-11-09, 08:27 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on what Dnvr said... I am one of those that do not post much, but I am not much of a conversationalist either. I read posts that interest me and once in a 'blue moon' post something and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-11-09, 08:36 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I post my ride reports, and occasionally comment on other posts that interest me, but I have no complaints with the 50+ forum or it's forumites. Seems like a fine group with good input and a positive conversational tone.

But then, I'm neither a noob nor a fanatic, so maybe I just don't get it!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-11-09, 09:15 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I check in now and then but I haven't posted much. I did a little math and realized I was spending hours and hours just reading, hopping from post to post to post, and getting little else done -- things I'd like to do where sitting by the wayside. I still love this forum and we're looking forward to the 50+ ride in Aug/Sept. Most importantly..... I'm still riding!

Lots of new faces here, but I still see the ones I knew.
Old 05-11-09, 09:33 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have been around for about two years. I think the BF 50+ slowly evolves but hasn't really changed that much in the time I've been here. I'm not sure I trust my memory on this topic anyway - there is quite a bit here, and if you want to focus on the tech tips, they are here; if you want to focus on the high-end bikes, they are here; and if you want to focus on serious ride reports; they are here.

If anything my impression is that lately we have not heard so much from folks "in the middle: " there have been some excellent ride reports from serious riders/racers, and some great questions from new/returning riders -- but maybe not so much from folks "in between" posting about great 20 or 30-mile rides. Just my impression, though - maybe I haven't been looking.

One other thing - there are a fair number of 50+er's active on other parts of BF -- touring, long distance, road, commuting, folders, tandem, and -- especially -- C&V. But 50+ is still a great home for many of us.
Old 05-11-09, 09:40 AM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all people bring pleasure to this forum. some by posting and others by leaving.

Old 05-11-09, 09:45 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
My take, is that its just not too useful or interesting to post my 20-30 mile rides. Longer rides maybe, but usually I am too tired to post long ride results. Topics come and go based on current events. But overall, although I have not seen a lot of topics that pique my interest lately, I still lurk and browse. And someday, I hope to do a ride that I think is interesting to you all to post.

Than again, I truly appreciate that this is a place like a an old time bar where folks can talk freely about losses and disappointments of life. We all have them and all need support when they happen.
Old 05-11-09, 09:46 AM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Yen, I check in every once in a while, too. Been busy. Bike Forums can be a huge time suck.
Old 05-11-09, 09:48 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit

I truly appreciate that this is a place like a an old time bar where we can cheat at poker, spit on the floor, and shoot strangers.
This is what I always think of when I think of an "old time bar."
Old 05-11-09, 01:13 PM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
This is what I always think of when I think of an "old time bar."
yeah, but without the hangover
Old 05-11-09, 02:31 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
Are you hiring?
I sell real estate. I'd love to hire an assistant but you'd have to take minimum wage. I'm not making that much money...yet.
Old 05-12-09, 06:23 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Women's forum? someone mentioned this and I was wondering but don't see an entry for this forum. I would like to direct someone to this area. can someone direct me?
Old 05-12-09, 06:26 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bikegeek57
Women's forum? someone mentioned this and I was wondering but don't see an entry for this forum. I would like to direct someone to this area. can someone direct me?
It is hidden as a deep, shameful dark secret should be!!

I would pm East Hill (50+ Forum Mod)
Old 05-12-09, 06:53 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Hello, Yen!
Old 05-12-09, 07:24 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't speak for the others but I've been busy riding, doing touring captain duties for my cycling club, bike patrol for the local metro parks and house projects that never got done before I retired

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-12-09, 07:32 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfemur
My impression is that the vast majority of new and some returning cyclists transpose all their car owner attitudes onto the bike. It has changed a lot over the past decade or two because everyone has one of those damned cyclocomputers. It becomes all about speed and mileage rather than about riding.
Hmmm...I have one of those damned cyclocomputers and it didn't make me one bit faster The only good thing about it is I can complain about hills when I see those grade percentages. I think my fellow riders appreciate it since they often ask what grade is this hill we're climbing.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-12-09, 07:48 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
My take, is that its just not too useful or interesting to post my 20-30 mile rides.
Most of my rides are regular weekly club rides and I seldom post about them. There's the 30 mile Friday morning ride to lunch, the 40 mile Sunday morning ride to breakfast and the Saturday morning biking program for the local metro parks.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-12-09, 07:49 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Hello, Yen!
Me, too. I'm hoping to see some of those great ride reports from you this year, Yen

-- Antonio Smith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.