Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

I would so totally ride this...

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 12:52 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was giving my 20 year old daughter some maintainance lessons out in the garage a few days ago, prior to sending her and her DF bike back to college. When we finished up I asked her if she would like to try out my Tour Easy and she anxiously accepted the offer. Her feet didn't stretch to the pedals and she insisted that I not bother adjusting the seat so....she sat & steered while I pushed her around the yard a little. She was astounded at how comfortable the bike was and she stated "Oh man! If I had one of these I would so totally ride it!" She then tried the Sun X-1 and the Sun EZ Sport but gravitated right back to the Tour Easy. "I was wondering why you've got a garage full of recumbents. Now I know." she said.

I suspect that once she graduates and gets settled into a job and home in a few years that she'll be remembering that TE and considering making a purchase of her own. Another 'bent rider has been born.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 05-23-09 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-09, 01:33 PM
Jay D
Human Powered Vehiclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's exactly my same reaction when I first rode a recumbent. I was like, "Where have these things been my entire life!" Now that I have one, I'm addicted, I find reasons for riding it anywhere!
Old 05-23-09, 09:44 AM
ladybugrider
Get 'Bent & Enjoy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, those poor df riders, if only they knew what they were missing. Bents are the only way to ride with comfort!
Old 05-23-09, 12:04 PM
MarkMe
Giro 20TT

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 24TT, Bike E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of you know what 'Cognitive dissonance" is. The more work it is(or the more pain), the harder it is to give it up
Old 05-25-09, 10:20 AM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmmmmmm..............my Gold Rush setting here by the door ready to go and my two DFs in the closet with flat tires. Go figure.
Old 06-21-09, 05:50 AM
wink

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I suspect that once she graduates and gets settled into a job and home in a few years that she'll be remembering that TE and considering making a purchase of her own. Another 'bent rider has been born.
I suspect that if she works it right and blinks her big eyes at him Cranky Old Dude will give her one just like my granddaughter got one of my computers.
Old 06-28-09, 06:53 PM
BigTee

Bikes: Sun EZ sport AX Custom built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 16 year old son has been trying to get the hang of riding my EZ Speedster with little luck. He apparently has his mothers coordination! That's why I bought her a trike. Today, I convinced him to try the Sport, as I believe it's easier to start out on a LWB. At about 10 miles into the ride I asked him how he liked it and there it was...... THE RECUMBENT GRIN!!!!!! Looks like I'm going to be riding the Speedster for a while! I suspect that once he gets his "legs" I'm gonna lose that speedster, but gain a riding partner!
Old 06-30-09, 01:50 PM
radycle
Cyclist

Bikes: Tour Easy; RANS V3 Titanium; Bacchetta Giro 20; Kingcycle SWB; Sun EZ-1 AX (CLWB); Sun Tomahawk; ICE Trike; Klein (1-road, 2-Mt.); Carver Gnarvester Ti 29er MTB; Trek Farley 9.6 Fat Bike; many more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTee
...Looks like I'm going to be riding the Speedster for a while! I suspect that once he gets his "legs" I'm gonna lose that speedster, but gain a riding partner!
Sounds like a good trade to me. If he grows to love the Sport, give it to him or buy him his own!
Old 06-30-09, 08:26 PM
BigTee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radycle
Sounds like a good trade to me. If he grows to love the Sport, give it to him or buy him his own!
I love them both, so I'm out nothing either way!!
Old 07-02-09, 04:52 PM
pro_jo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sound like the perfect time to move to a Gold Rush for yourself.
Old 07-04-09, 02:27 PM
BigTee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pro_jo
It sound like the perfect time to move to a Gold Rush for yourself.
A year ago I had not yet bought my first recumbent. In august I got my first, an EZ 1, which I "outgrew" in about four months. Traded it for the sport in march, decided I wanted a swb as well and bought the speedster in april. Then decided my wife needed a tadpole, which she also loves. However, I suspect that if I buy another bike anytime soon, I'll be maimed at best!
Old 07-04-09, 03:51 PM
Bobsk8

Bikes: Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 13 years ago I went to a Atlanta Bicycle Club meeting that was about Recumbents. They had three Bents there that were brought to the meeting by their owners for anyone that was interested in what they looked like. A dentist had just got his Goldrush a few days before the meeting, and he asked if anyone wanted to try it. He had already told us that it cost about $3,000. I got on it, and tried to get going, but each time, it started to lean to one side and I would put my foot down so that his $3,000 bike wouldn't scrape along the ground. After 3X, I decided enough was enough but I was now interested in the concept. A month later I bought my first bent, a BikeE. Haven't ridden a DF since then...