Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Don't drink from your "Ammonia" bottle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Don't drink from your "Ammonia" bottle

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 07:32 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn
Wow... Just wow...

If it was a dog that was chasing me I'd carry some treats... Throw them down every time and eventually befriend the dog who would become my ally along with my pet ferrets Kodo and Podo.

I guess that you have not been bitten by a dog. I have. It changes your perspective.
Old 06-14-09, 08:03 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
[IMG]ht tp://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/gluteusmaximus/bikeforums/snow_white_disney2.jpg[/IMG]

I guess that you have not been bitten by a dog. I have. It changes your perspective.
So have I and I would never, ever squirt one with ammonia. Pepper spray maybe, not ammonia. That's just ****ed up.
Old 06-14-09, 08:21 PM
DwayneS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the newer "pepper spray" products are actually a mix of pepper spray, tear gas, and many other deterrents. So, the new things do wonders even if you have bad aim. They mess with the entire sensory system, it does wonders for all attackers, including dogs.

Trust me, pepper spray the thing one time, and he will never chase again. And as for ammonia, maybe he was thinking the dog would see it as really strong urine or just a nasty chemical and back off. And another thing worth mentioning, bike cleats are hard, use them!!!
Old 06-14-09, 09:34 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
So have I and I would never, ever squirt one with ammonia. Pepper spray maybe, not ammonia. That's just ****ed up.
Yup.

It's like saying you carry white phosphorus grenades for fending off muggers.
Old 06-14-09, 09:37 PM
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If anyone, ANYONE on here ever questioned the idea of karma before this thread... here you go.
Old 06-14-09, 09:39 PM
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sknhgy
Say that after some dog costs you surgery, a month or two in a sling, and almost kills or cripples you. I say f*** the damn mutts. If they're out loose, anything goes. And you're lucky if you have health insurance.
Yah, there are better ways to do it ass hat, it's called pepper spray.
Old 06-14-09, 09:54 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rankin116
No one is suggesting you douse the creature in pure ammonia- that'd be pretty awful. But a dilute solution of ammonia is used as a dog repellant in any number of situations. Look it up. It's probably effecive in concentrations about what you'd find in Windex, more or less. It's aversive qualities take advantage of the extremely sensitive nose of the beast, not in the skin stripping/eye-burning effects of chemical-weapons grade ammonia.

It's not mustard gas we're talking about here...

Originally Posted by DrPete
Yup.

It's like saying you carry white phosphorus grenades for fending off muggers.

Maybe it's just me as I get older, but that sounds about the right level of response, actually.

Originally Posted by fauxto nick
Yah, there are better ways to do it ass hat, it's called pepper spray.
Windex is cheaper, and miracle cure to boot!

Old 06-14-09, 10:05 PM
e2py

Bikes: Felt F70

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given this day and age, it's not a stretch to imagine that you could be charged with animal cruelty or criminal mischief if you were caught using a strong ammonia solution, maybe not as bad if it were a weak solution. Pepper spray is a well accepted non-lethal and non-permanent deterrent that would likely keep you out of legal trouble - just remember to stay upwind of the spray!
Old 06-14-09, 10:13 PM
SilverSurfR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn
Wow... Just wow...

If it was a dog that was chasing me I'd carry some treats... Throw them down every time and eventually befriend the dog who would become my ally along with my pet ferrets Kodo and Podo.
This is probably not a good idea either. As mentioned this dog will get in the habit of chasing you for his treat. Sure he'll probably stop when you drop it and leave you alone, but what of the next cyclist he encounters? You want to curb this chasing behavior instead of reward it with treats.
Old 06-14-09, 10:24 PM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
if it was your intention to spray the dog with ammonia, then it serves you right.
Hate to say it, but I have to agree. I have a great dane, a big, scary, deep voiced, fast running dog who likes to pace along side cyclists, barking, at nearly eye level with the rider. She stops when we call her, so it's very rarely an issue. But if somebody pulls out his pepper spray or special water mix on her, I'm taking a bat to his ass and destroying his bike right in front of him.

So think twice, little dog-sceered people, that's someone's good, good friend and family member you're squirting something at. Is your attempt at dog training really gonna be worth your frame?

WOOOOF!

Old 06-14-09, 10:29 PM
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DScott
No one is suggesting you douse the creature in pure ammonia- that'd be pretty awful. But a dilute solution of ammonia is used as a dog repellant in any number of situations. Look it up. It's probably effecive in concentrations about what you'd find in Windex, more or less. It's aversive qualities take advantage of the extremely sensitive nose of the beast, not in the skin stripping/eye-burning effects of chemical-weapons grade ammonia.

It's not mustard gas we're talking about here...

Maybe it's just me as I get older, but that sounds about the right level of response, actually.

Windex is cheaper, and miracle cure to boot!

THe dude said he got chemical burns in his mouth so i have to assume it wasn't a very diluted solution.
Old 06-14-09, 10:45 PM
PanicDog

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Is your Great Dane behind a tall fence? I have a Great Dane too. If she ever knocked a cyclist over and the cyclist pepper sprayed her I would accept that as fair game. That's why I keep her in our secure yard or under leash control.
Old 06-14-09, 10:46 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Spreggy
Hate to say it, but I have to agree. I have a great dane, a big, scary, deep voiced, fast running dog who likes to pace along side cyclists, barking, at nearly eye level with the rider. She stops when we call her, so it's very rarely an issue. But if somebody pulls out his pepper spray or special water mix on her, I'm taking a bat to his ass and destroying his bike right in front of him.

So think twice, little dog-sceered people, that's someone's good, good friend and family member you're squirting something at. Is your attempt at dog training really gonna be worth your frame?

WOOOOF!
If you think taking a bat to someone else's property is an appropriate solution to a stranger defending themselves during your inability to keep your dog from appearing as presenting a threat on a public road I hope they have pepper spray and a lawsuit waiting for you after they're done with your dog. I like dogs, but I don't like owners who think their pooch is the most innocent creature in the world just because it hasn't caused a problem yet. Also, I've seen some huge dogs (big enough that elementary school kids could ride them) in my time and I have not ever seen one remotely close to eye height when I'm on a bike, unless of course I'm somehow eye level with the bottom of my handlebars.
Old 06-14-09, 10:47 PM
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok guys looks like it's about that time whip em' out and see who's is bigger. I'm out of this one.
Old 06-14-09, 10:48 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by fauxto nick
THe dude said he got chemical burns in his mouth so i have to assume it wasn't a very diluted solution.
I'm not going to try, but I doubt it would take very much time for even a very diluted ammonia based cleaning solution to burn your mouth. Even putting your hands in it without gloves is enough to start to eat your skin, which is much tougher than the inside of your mouth.
Old 06-14-09, 10:49 PM
SilverSurfR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is your LACK of dog training worth going to jail for? While I don't agree with the full strength ammonia solution the OP came up with, I do agree with a legal, non-lethal solution, that would cause no permanent damage to the dog. How is one supposed to tell the difference between a harmless and non-harmless dog. I for one wouldn't let a "good good friend and family member" roam about, run, and chase things they have no business with. Not to mention someone who just pepper sprayed your dog and sees you coming toward with a bat will more than likely pepper spray you too.
Old 06-14-09, 10:53 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much of a pu$$y do you have to be to take chemical weapons to ward off dogs.

It's a dog
Old 06-14-09, 11:08 PM
PanicDog

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MONGO!
How much of a pu$$y do you have to be to take chemical weapons to ward off dogs.

It's a dog
Exactly. It's not like loose, untrained dogs are a danger to cyclists and others. And any dog can be stopped with soothing tones and clucking anyway.

https://www.tricities.com/tri/news/lo...ing_dog/10989/

Old 06-14-09, 11:12 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 06-14-09, 11:15 PM
SilverSurfR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MONGO!

It's a dog
Made me think of this post...

Originally Posted by Gluteus
Old 06-14-09, 11:47 PM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOOOOF!

How in the hell do you expect a cyclist to know what your dog is thinking? I know you do but people unfamiliar with your dog do not and thus you are responsible for your dogs actions. I do not condone the OP's actions at all but dog owners that say "she stops when we call her" are friggin ridiculous. The cyclist doesn't know this and you should teach your dog not to do this or you should expect a pepper spray or a swat to the muzzle.
Old 06-15-09, 12:19 AM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wish I could train a dog to spray you in the face with ammonia
Old 06-15-09, 12:45 AM
Sherville

Bikes: Vivente Lugano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get dogs on my route, I'm afraid to do anything to them in-case the owner sues me or something - I just ride really fast and hope they don't see me.
Old 06-15-09, 12:47 AM
i r yo
Here to **** **** up

Bikes: 92 Cannondale Track, 08 Felt F4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve90068
I wish I could train a dog to spray you in the face with ammonia
Only if the cyclist was chasing the dog though.
Old 06-15-09, 01:33 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOOOOF!
You seem much more intersted in being a self-righteous dog-owner than actually protecting your dog by keeping it in your yard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.