Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

i wanna start commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

i wanna start commuting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 01:50 AM
chexmix
Your favorite snack food

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wanna start commuting

so i have enough miles on my bike to where i wanna start commuting to work now. Im buying a rack and a rack bag. Any suggestions on a good one. I live in Michigan where the weather can change in 20 minutes so a waterproof one would be nice. I need to wear boots at work so it needs to be a decent size. i have two pair of riding shorts and two jerseys one for each way. i can shower at work. any tips
Old 06-20-09, 03:40 AM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Store your boots at work if at all possible. That's a lot of weight and they will pretty much fill your panniers.
Old 06-20-09, 04:12 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the leave the boots at work thing.
Old 06-20-09, 04:18 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If storing the boots is not an option, put them in a grocery bag and bungee them to the top of the rack.

I have a Topeak Explorer rack, which works well with the Topeak MTX bags to allow them to be clipped in in seconds.

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags
Old 06-20-09, 07:37 PM
TJx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the ride home yesterday during our downpour I used a trash compactor bag over my Arkel Bug hooked to a Planet Bike Eco Rack. I made 2 holes for rack hooks and 1 for stabilization hook with the open end on bottom, even in the downpour and riding through 6 inches of water along a river underneath a bridge, it stayed surprisingly dry.

P.S. WALK your bike across wet railroad tracks!
Old 06-20-09, 07:48 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of DayTrekker panniers from Nash, and a Sunlite rack. I leave my shave bag at work, and can get away with non-descript runner/cross trainers at work (im in Tech Support/Program Testing) so I can commute in the same shoes I wear. Im considering a pair of MTB shoes though-my laces got caught in one of my aluminum pedals the other morning barreling down a 2 lane main with average speeds (cars) of 35-40 mph.
Old 06-20-09, 08:24 PM
jubal117

Bikes: 2009 Raleigh Sojourn, 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0, 1989 Miyata 914, 1996 Trek Mountaintrak 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also use the Topeak Explorer rack on all my bikes. It is so easy to clip them on and off, plus I have 4 different bags that I can use on them so I always have one to fit the ride.
Old 06-21-09, 04:36 AM
chexmix
Your favorite snack food

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cant leave my boots at work i want to but i get called out to specific places other than my station on my off time sometimes. i only need to bring a few things, my boots (8 inch Danners with a side zip) pants, uniform shirt, and a stethoscope, and a few pocket books. Its not much, do you think i would need panniers for this. I know they are nice to have it just seems like they add a lot of bulk if i could put it all up top.
Old 06-21-09, 07:26 AM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A single waterproof pannier might do the trick. Trunk bags (they mount to the top of the rack) may be too small for your boots + uniform. Also, a milk-crate or basket mounted on the rear rack would carry your stuff fairly easily, so long as you kept it all in a plastic bag when it rains.
Old 06-21-09, 07:26 AM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chexmix
Cant leave my boots at work i want to but i get called out to specific places other than my station on my off time sometimes. i only need to bring a few things, my boots (8 inch Danners with a side zip) pants, uniform shirt, and a stethoscope, and a few pocket books. Its not much, do you think i would need panniers for this. I know they are nice to have it just seems like they add a lot of bulk if i could put it all up top.
Umm, 2 pairs? I leave my jeans at work, take them home about once a week to wash, also footwear. All I usually carry daily is a shirt, socks and underwear(*). Of course I also carry enough bike specific clothing to handle 3 different seasons, this is Calgary after all!

You could do it with a top carry, but panniers ease the handling of the bike a little in comparison.

* If you go this route, it's a good idea to also keep one extra set at work, at least the underwear, just in case you forget............
Old 06-21-09, 07:33 AM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What he ^^^^^ said. break down and buy an extra set. It's a good idea to give your shoes a little breather between wears anyway.

It's not that you can't carry them. It's just that it's a PITA. They don't fold up into panniers very well.
Old 06-21-09, 11:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Buy or make a rack trunk rain cover.
Stock food and clothes at work.
Be prepared to pack home daily laundry such as underwear socks and towel.
Use strobes front and rear.
Wear hi-vis bike specific clothing.
Continue your research here on the forums.
Old 06-21-09, 01:48 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all good advice^^^^^.

One other thing. Keep extra socks at work. I got ambushed by a pretty strong downpour on the way to work one day last week. I actually enjoy this as it cools me off and everything is coming off once I get there anyway..... 'cept socks. Those socks were completely soaked through, so I ended up in my sneakers sockless. Gotta remember to bring in an extra set.