Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What wheel clincher will you recommend?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 05:10 PM
khalid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 6ft tall and about 190lbs, and have a muscular upper body. I am trying to look for a lightweight aero carbon clincher wheelset that is under $2500. Most of my ride is riding in a circle and some uphill at 6%. I ride about 20mph to 26mph. I am looking at the Mavic Cosmic SLR for my Madone, but today when i called Competitive Cyclist, they recommended a set of the Zipp 404. I have heard a lot of great review saying the Mavic SLR is bulletproof wheels. I wonder what you think of the two and how you would compare? and also, are there any that you think i should take a look into.

I have heard of the Lightweight standard clincher, and they are very good too. Too bad they are very expensive, and I don't think I am at that level yet. Please let me know if it's a good investment since I might upgrade in the future? Thanks
Old 06-23-09, 05:32 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've heard good things about Edge's carbon clinchers
Old 06-23-09, 06:06 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reynolds are good too.

Zipp clinchers are really heavy since they have the aluminum rim. It can be a good and bad thing. Good, better braking, better durability, bad: wieght
Old 06-23-09, 06:53 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reynolds are the "go-to" pre-built wheels right now, though as umd said, these would be quite exciting as well: Model 9 – Edge Carbon Clincher 65mm (1500g) - $2325
Old 06-23-09, 06:57 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Prebuilt - Reynolds
Custom - Edge

/thread

Buy your bike parts here
Old 06-23-09, 07:15 PM
pharding

Bikes: 09 Pinarello Prince, 09 Cervelo P3, 10 Stevens Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would order either Edge or Corima Wheels. You can order Corima wheels from the factory at a fine price. Just insist that they use FedEx, DHL, or UPS. Do not let them talk to you into shipping them on an airline using a freight forwarder.
Old 06-23-09, 07:22 PM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the Zipps. You can't go wrong. I have some 404's and I love them. I have ridden with the guys from competitive cyclist and they are great guys. They will not steer you wrong.
Old 06-23-09, 07:37 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,215 Times in 1,488 Posts
Weight has very little impact except on steep climbs. You might notice a couple hundred grams on 6% but it's very slight. The thing you want is durability. Zipps are very strong and many people use 404s as their everyday wheels for years without problems. The others are somewhat questionable.
Old 06-23-09, 07:41 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by khalid
I am 6ft tall and about 190lbs, and have a muscular upper body. I am trying to look for a lightweight aero carbon clincher wheelset that is under $2500. Most of my ride is riding in a circle and some uphill at 6%. I ride about 20mph to 26mph. I am looking at the Mavic Cosmic SLR for my Madone, but today when i called Competitive Cyclist, they recommended a set of the Zipp 404. I have heard a lot of great review saying the Mavic SLR is bulletproof wheels. I wonder what you think of the two and how you would compare? and also, are there any that you think i should take a look into.

I have heard of the Lightweight standard clincher, and they are very good too. Too bad they are very expensive, and I don't think I am at that level yet. Please let me know if it's a good investment since I might upgrade in the future? Thanks
You mean there are some over $2500 ?

How will you know when you're there ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-23-09, 09:27 PM
jay0k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Zipp 404 clinchers. They're heavier than the tubular version but you get piece of mind with dependable breaking and tube replacement on road rides.
Old 06-23-09, 10:01 PM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I to am 190 and train on some Edge 68mm deep clinchers. They are ultra stiff as well as strong. They are the nicest wheel that I have ever ridden. Edge makes the best carbon rims available. I can say this with a high degree of certainty because I also sell Reynolds as well as Zipp. The Edge rims are stronger, lighter, and much higher quality than the other two. The set that I train on even weigh about 1490 grams which is slightly lighter than the actual weight of Ksyriums.
Old 06-24-09, 12:41 AM
khalid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Edge clincher is the one you are referring to? are you talking about the Nirvana or the Lotus?

I don't hear a lot of people recommending the Mavic, how does Mavic compare to Zipp and Reynold?

If I am looking for air resistance or a wheel that is more durable and aerodynamic, is Edge better than any other pre-built wheel? Thanks
Old 06-24-09, 01:45 AM
DCnoJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
Prebuilt - Reynolds
Custom - Edge
+1. Beat me to it.
Old 06-24-09, 06:41 AM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using my reynolds dv46c's as my everyday wheels for over a year now. Light, stiff, aero. They're great. Also, if you want to save some money at the expense of just a little weight and a lesser hub, the Assaults are around half the cost.
Old 06-24-09, 08:34 AM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the Sid. If your looking for a lighter weight version then the Nirvana would be a great choice. The first thing to be considered when buying a nice set of wheels is their durability. A well built set of Edge wheels will offer this for 2 reasons. 1 the quality of construction on the Edge rims is better than the Zipp or Reynolds because they autoclave their carbon as apposed to glue it. 2 their rims accept higher spoke tensions than the other two which makes the wheels stiffer and more resistant to stress.
Old 06-24-09, 08:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
Reynolds are good too.

Zipp clinchers are really heavy since they have the aluminum rim. It can be a good and bad thing. Good, better braking, better durability, bad: wieght
Reynolds carbon clinchers are an acceptable weight, but Zipp 404 clinchers are not?

Zipp 404 clinchers are only heavy in relation to Zipp 404 tubulars.

Reynolds SDV 66 carbon clinchers 66mm deep, 1675 grams.

Zipp 404 clinchers 58mm deep, 1615 grams

Reynolds DV3kc, 46mm deep 1500 grams.

Thus the Zipps are pretty comparable weight wise to the Reynolds.

And if these are everyday wheels, aluminum braking surfaces are nice for wet conditions.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-24-09, 08:54 AM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The carbon braking surface on Edge/Reynolds rim works just fine as long as you use nice break pads. As for weight...
Reynolds Sdv66 which has a 16/20 spoke count and is often semi-flexy because of it. 1675

Edge 68c, sapim spokes, Tune hubs, 20/24 spoke count are much stiffer than the 66s. I have had both sets. 1490 grams.
Old 06-24-09, 11:03 AM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Reynolds carbon clinchers are an acceptable weight, but Zipp 404 clinchers are not?

Zipp 404 clinchers are only heavy in relation to Zipp 404 tubulars.

Reynolds SDV 66 carbon clinchers 66mm deep, 1675 grams.

Zipp 404 clinchers 58mm deep, 1615 grams

Reynolds DV3kc, 46mm deep 1500 grams.

Thus the Zipps are pretty comparable weight wise to the Reynolds.

And if these are everyday wheels, aluminum braking surfaces are nice for wet conditions.
Yeah, but the DV46CUL are 1410g, with no rider weight limit
Old 06-24-09, 11:07 AM
DwayneS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager Aeoulus or Race XXX Lite (better for general riding and climbing and longer races with hills).

Aeoulus 6.5 Clincher
Race XXX Lite Clincher

The Aeoulus should beat the better majority of aero wheels and it is pretty reliable. Zipps are also pretty popular around here.
Old 06-24-09, 11:07 AM
badfishgood
B(.)(.)BS

Bikes: My bicycles?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have the carbones. i bunny hop all day. no worries. a fantastic wheel. *** zipp, i cant get over how ugly they look.
Old 06-24-09, 12:27 PM
availpunk9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought some aero wheels. I ended up with Reynolds Strikes. They seemed like very good value for the money, plus I found a killer deal that I couldn't pass up.

The wheels are plenty stiff for me (176lbs). I think I can feel the rear flex a bit in a full out sprint, but not to the point where it touches the pads/frame. Surprisingly I find them fairly manageable in cross winds, I guess this is due to my weight.

Here are my negative points so far. The rear wheel came with very low tension (~86kgf DS), I ended up re-tensioning the wheel. I replaced the stock pads with SwissStop yellows, the stock pads howled and squealed like crazy. I don't like the internal nipples. The tire needs to be dismounted in order to work with the spokes.

Here are my thoughts on other wheels:
-Bontrager, I always had problems truing paired spoke wheels. My mechanics seem to agree that paired spokes are harder to work with.
-Mavic Carbones, a bit heavy when compared to similar profile wheels but from other reviews seem bomb proof. The alu. brake surface is nice. I came very close to getting a set. I read somewhere (I think on WW) that these should be coming down in price.
-Zipps, I demoed 404 tubular and clincher. I found them too flexy. They were fast but I expected stiffer wheel for the $
-Williams, the 58s have a very appealing price point ($1k), hybrid ceramics, testrider.com raved about the braking surface. They are heavy, in Carbones range. Couldn't find enough feedback to get a set. I met a local racer that rides 58 clinchers. He seemed happy with the purchase.
-I also considered HED Jet 60s C2s. I really can't remember any negative points from the searching I did. I couldn't find a deal on them to suit my budget.
Old 06-24-09, 01:18 PM
DwayneS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp's just look out of place on many bikes. Especially with the decals removed. That's just my two cents worth though. Then again pretty much any aero wheel looks a bit funny but at the same time makes a bike look 100x more expensive.

Last edited by DwayneS; 06-24-09 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 05:46 PM
khalid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Right now, I am also interested in the Edge 68. what is the difference between the edge 68 and the 38? When i browse edge website, I wasn't able to find the clincher 68, but I was only able to find the rim. Do I have to buy other parts and put them together? Thanks
Old 06-24-09, 06:12 PM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They discontinued the 38. It has been replaced by the 45. I would suggest getting them custom built. You can specify your rims/hubs/spokes. Edge only offers a select few sets because their rims are made to be custom built.
Old 06-24-09, 06:23 PM
Capgemini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zen, any reviews on the Alchemy ELF/ORC hubs? except for WW, I haven't been able to find rider reviews on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.