Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

metric centuries are un-american

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

metric centuries are un-american

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 08:41 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverSurfR
I'm surprised we haven't adopted the metric system. 100 is a bigger number than 62. Isn't "bigger is better" the "American Way"?
Yep. think about it ... 10 centimetres sounds way better than 4 inches.
Old 06-29-09, 08:44 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How un-American is the track Madison? also called the American, but raced on a track measured in metrics?
Old 06-29-09, 08:45 PM
tkm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
On On the evening of December 16th, 1774, 342 crates of tea were dumped into the ocean at Boston, in the seminal event of the American Revolution that destroyed 90,000 lbs of British trade cargo.

Considering that the American resistance was inspired by the bravery of the French uprising against tyranny and the British polemicist Thomas Paine, writing on the French experience, shouldn't the weight of the symbolic cargo be expressed in kilos (27,215)?

How ironic that the US still pays tribute to the old Imperialists.
Anytime the words "French" and "bravery" are used in the same sentence, then you know your argument is pretty bad.
Old 06-29-09, 08:45 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Americans don't like change (Obama being a recent exception).

It would cost a lot of money to switch though. The USA does have the 3rd largest population in the world, and a massive parcel of land. Just changing the speed signs on the highways would cost billions.

I thought it odd when i moved here that everything was still imperial, but meh, who cares?
Old 06-29-09, 08:46 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28867 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 1,349 Posts
100 miles = a Freedom Century

Old 06-29-09, 08:47 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tkm
Anytime the words "French" and "bravery" are used in the same sentence, then you know your argument is pretty bad.
Apparently the words "history" and "Americans" don't mesh either....since many have apparently forgotten the French are more or less responsible for the USA's existence.

You use metric tools though, so I assume you were kidding
Old 06-29-09, 08:47 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
There are large contingents of measurement rebels in cities throughout the US, secretly using foreign units right here on our own soil. I saw a special about it on Faux News.

Think about it - as you pedal down the MUP, there just might be rebels among you, waiting for the right time to strike and open up the US to a superior form of length measurement. The mile marker might say 100, but their cyclocomputer reads 161. Ever think of why your CatEye computer defaulted to kilometers? They're planning for the takeover.

Some have said that certain organizations even report their 200k ride stats to foreign agents, and receive medals in return for their metric doubles, triples, quads, and 600's too. I think Rusa might be that agency.

my race videos
Old 06-29-09, 08:57 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm

Some have said that certain organizations even report their 200k ride stats to foreign agents, and receive medals in return for their metric doubles, triples, quads, and 600's too.
You mean those darn Frenchies with their kilos of pommes frites?
Old 06-29-09, 09:02 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt
and should be called 62 milers.
I think you mean "Twenty leagues, two miles, one furlong, twenty-one yards and five inches" (give or take ).

Nobody here calls it a "metric century". We call it a "metric". A "century" is still considered a 100 miles.

(p.s. I am a Brit living in a "metric" land but at least they drive on the correct side of the road here )
Old 06-29-09, 09:08 PM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a much better and somewhat less arbitrary unit than "1/10000 the distance from the pole to the equator on a line drawn through Paris."
Actually, the intent was to make the meter equal to one ten-millionth the distance of a quadrant of the earth. They did the best they could with the measuring techniques at the time. Subsequent re-definitions have been done with wavelengths of coherent light and the speed of light in a vacuum, with the intent to not change the redefined length much from the original.

The one ten-millionth of a quadrant is useful for fitting maps to the earth on an even number, but is small enough to form a useful length for daily use.

Ironically enough, notwithstanding the anti-metric Yank bluster, the US Armed Services have been exclusively metric for quite some time. The MGRS co-ordinate system used on maps is metric (41R QR 5461 0023 defines a 10 square metre patch of ground) and the mil (a measure of angle) is the distance subtended by 1 metre at 1000 metres - very useful for estimating distances and adjusting fire - plus you get 6400 of them in a circle, which allows for more precise bearings than with 360 degrees.

Ironic, because the people who you'd call upon to defend you from the pinko commie metric hordes would themselves use metric.

I'm with bt - there is no such thing as a "metric century". There is the Century - 100 km - and the Imperial Century - 162-ish km - discussed purely for historical reasons; much the same way one might discuss the past results of velocepede races or the tire sizing on penny-farthings.

DG
Old 06-29-09, 09:10 PM
Quijibo187
Custom User Title

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooo
Part of the difficulty is that the counties of a great many states are set up in mile square sections, and legal documents refer to the sections (and measure distances in "rods" believe it or don't).

That said, the nautical mile rules. One nautical mile is essentially one minute of latitude. That's a much better and somewhat less arbitrary unit than "1/10000 the distance from the pole to the equator on a line drawn through Paris."

Thermidor my shiny metal can.
so, lets all go do a nautical century, then we'll have traveled a minute.
Old 06-29-09, 09:18 PM
Moximitre
dig dig dig

Bikes: Full Fendered Bareknuckle, Faggin with 10spd Centaur, 1973 Raleigh 3spd Cruiser.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quijibo187
so, lets all go do a nautical century, then we'll have traveled a minute.
I see what you did there.
Old 06-29-09, 09:22 PM
DwayneS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also the Klick, which in the US military is a kilometer.
Old 06-29-09, 09:33 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why is distance even considered. I hear people talk about total watts, much more impressive to me than distance. Some people work a lot harder doing a metric than others doing 100 miles. And it's not like the distance gets you anywhere. You all end up back where you started.
Old 06-29-09, 09:42 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCDon
I'm not a United States citizen either and don't live there. NOTE, "AMERICA" refers to both North and South America, I don't see how U.S. citizens can call themselves an American. As a Canadian I'm an American as is a Mexican or someone for Argentina or anywhere in the South America. But I've deviated from the thread.
Not to anyone in this country. Maybe to Canadians, but you already know how much we care about what you guys think.
Old 06-29-09, 09:44 PM
Velodad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cubit
Old 06-29-09, 09:46 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tulex
Why is distance even considered. I hear people talk about total watts, much more impressive to me than distance. Some people work a lot harder doing a metric than others doing 100 miles. And it's not like the distance gets you anywhere. You all end up back where you started.
Well, it depends if you are doing an out and back route. Still, it's not so much the distance as the journey. The 1200 kilomtres of Paris-Brest-Paris gets you though a hundred fascinating villages, thronged with adoring fans. It threads forest and farm, valley and mountain. It leads you along rivers and curves around the sea shore. It demands you climb more than 10,000 metres.

And the café and pommes frites are beyond comparison.
Old 06-29-09, 09:46 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Watts is an instantaneous measurement, like speed. You can have an average Watts like an average speed but that doesn't necessarily mean much either. You would probably be more interested in kilojoules, which is work. What sounds more impressive, 200 miles, 321 km, or 6,300 kj? It's a bigger number, sure, but can anyone relate to it? And a bigger person would have done more "work" but it doesn't mean they worked harder...
Old 06-29-09, 09:48 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, most people are doing out and backs with their centuries. What you describe sounds more like touring.
Old 06-29-09, 09:50 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Watts is an instantaneous measurement, like speed. You can have an average Watts like an average speed but that doesn't necessarily mean much either. You would probably be more interested in kilojoules, which is work. What sounds more impressive, 200 miles, 321 km, or 6,300 kj? It's a bigger number, sure, but can anyone relate to it? And a bigger person would have done more "work" but it doesn't mean they worked harder...
I knew I wanted a different term, couldn't think of it, as I don't use it. But to me, the work done is more impressive than distance.
Old 06-29-09, 09:52 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
Well, it depends if you are doing an out and back route. Still, it's not so much the distance as the journey. The 1200 kilomtres of Paris-Brest-Paris gets you though a hundred fascinating villages, thronged with adoring fans. It threads forest and farm, valley and mountain. It leads you along rivers and curves around the sea shore. It demands you climb more than 10,000 metres.

And the café and pommes frites are beyond comparison.
+1

And the 5000 km I rode in Australia in 2004 got me all over New South Wales, Victoria, ACT, Tasmania, and Queensland to see things like the Great Ocean Road, the Great Barrier Reef, all sorts of varied scenery from mountains to farm land to the most gorgeous beaches I've ever laid eyes on, and allowed me to meet and/or get to know a lot of people ..... including my husband.

I really don't care what my total watts on that journey were.
Old 06-29-09, 09:52 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I knew I wanted a different term, couldn't think of it, as I don't use it. But to me, the work done is more impressive than distance.
Power junkies would probably want to know the TSS... of course after a certain point they cease to be impressed and just think you are stupid.
Old 06-29-09, 09:56 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
+1

And the 5000 km I rode in Australia in 2004 got me all over New South Wales, Victoria, ACT, Tasmania, and Queensland to see things like the Great Ocean Road, the Great Barrier Reef, all sorts of varied scenery from mountains to farm land to the most gorgeous beaches I've ever laid eyes on, and allowed me to meet and/or get to know a lot of people ..... including my husband.

I really don't care what my total watts on that journey were.
I agree if you are talking about just riding. I'm referring to people that use distance as a measure of accomplishment. Sure, it can be a goal, and is an accomplishment to do either kind of century, but it doens't really speak about how hard you worked.
Old 06-29-09, 09:58 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Power junkies would probably want to know the TSS... of course after a certain point they cease to be impressed and just think you are stupid.
Man, did you lose me with that sentence. I'll start with what is tss.
Old 06-29-09, 10:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I agree if you are talking about just riding. I'm referring to people that use distance as a measure of accomplishment. Sure, it can be a goal, and is an accomplishment to do either kind of century, but it doens't really speak about how hard you worked.
Then you've got to do more. Do a double century ..... ride a 600K ...... ride a 1200K. Then you'll know you worked hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.