Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My First Time Riding Clipless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My First Time Riding Clipless

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-05, 04:35 PM
smacdonald
I Like Ti

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Old Bianchi Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It always seems to be a few weeks into it that you fall. You start to get cocky and down you go. My first fall was at a busy downtown intersection at which a anti-war rally with several dozen people was going on. My second was just before a parade as I was pulling my daughter in a Burley- dozens of people looking at the bright yellow trailer!
Old 02-19-05, 06:58 PM
leaderc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, here's my first time story. I didn't fall, but I was warned when I got them that I would. And, well, sure enough a few rides later, came up to a stop light, stopped, and fell straight over forgetting to unclip. I'm sure it was hilarious to the cars around me. Still, I had a sum total of only 2 falls with my clipless and that was many years ago now. It becomes second nature riding them, and you probably will never want to go back!

Charles
Old 02-19-05, 09:09 PM
Chops83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first fall in my new pedals, I was riding and had just stopped by the road to watch part of a criterium in town. So I pull up all calm and cool like i knew what I was doing, went to put my foot down when i stopped and over i went in the middle of lots of people. was asked "are you ok?" about a million times I was fine, just humiliated. Another time I was tryin some new shoes on and goin really slow right next to the curb and I started goin over so I just let myself go cause there was grass right there, so that wasn't too bad.
Old 02-19-05, 10:09 PM
slisk
old and slow

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Roubaix, 2005 Cervelo P3 SL, Union Freetime, 2006 Look 585 Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so green, I'm deciding how I'm going to select my first clipless pedals let alone learn how to use them. Should I just wear my motocross gear for the first run?

Slisk
Old 02-19-05, 10:27 PM
xsdg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never fallen after stopping, but that's probably because I made a habit (while doing the clips-and-straps thing) of being able to balance with the bike stopped or nearly-stopped. Or, it might just be that I started off with Time ATACs (no "tension" adjustment or anything like that). Nonetheless, being able to balance and/or trackstand is a really valuable skill -- if you're worried, just unclip and ride the platforms while practicing.
Old 02-19-05, 11:00 PM
drroebuck
Ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never fallen due to clipless before. I've always wondered why people make such a big deal out of this stuff. The whole thing has always seemed very simple to me. Even the part about "forgetting to unclip" when you're coming to a stop. So, if you've got platforms, do you roll to a stop and wait until you're starting to fall before you put your foot down? I figure that people are waaaaay over-thinking these things, and that's what causes them to fall.