Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any quick cures for road rash?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 07:55 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

So yesterday I went on my second ride of any serious distance and, like an idiot, tried to go faster around this one right-hand curve. Overcooked it, slid off the concrete, which led to a 2" drop, so the bike went down, I went down, I bounced, chain dropped, and I now have five patches of road rash, including one big one on my side, and a bruised hip. I was hoping to do my weekly aquathlon tomorrow, but I'm guessing that's out of the question now. Any suggestions on how to make road rash heal as fast as possible? They're currently Neosporined and open to the air.

Amusingly, this is one of the things I was deathly afraid of when I started cycling, and other than the split second of panic as I was going down, it wasn't that bad. I got up, looked at it, learned how to reseat the chain, and decided I was going for my ride anyway, since I was half a mile in.

Oh, and HEED rocks my world.
Old 07-15-09, 08:02 AM
camhabib

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just make sure to keep it clean, it will heal on it's own. Neosporin and a lightly wrapped bandage are best for that. Glad to hear you're ok and that it wasn't worse, as it sounds it could have been.
Old 07-15-09, 08:02 AM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clean it our REALLY good. I have road rash scars on both my sides and my shoulder. Neosporin works a bit.
Old 07-15-09, 08:03 AM
MadGrad

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.5FX, '09 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! I crashed recently, and here's what I learned:

1. Duoderm. Go to Walgreen's and get some right now for your road rash, as it is amazing.
2. You're going to be really sore in a few days where you hit the pavement. Alternate icing/hot-padding your biggest bruises and bumps to stay limber, otherwise you may find yourself pretty stiff.

Glad you weren't too injured!
Old 07-15-09, 08:03 AM
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar experience like you... when I first got my hybrid bike I was biking down a street that was being re-done, such that there was about a 2 inch gap between the sidewalk and the actual road. However, I did not see this gap until it was too late, in that I was going from on the road to the sidewalk and was not turning at a sharp enough turn. I heard the tires rubbing against the sidewalk, and down I went. Had a pretty nasty road rash on my leg. Learned that putting a bandaid without neosporin is BAD (couple days of just yanking the pad off). But after I learned about Neosporin I just kept that and the gauze taped to my leg, changing daily. Was not fun taking showers the first week, I can tell you that...

But anyways, I believe what you are doing is correct. Let your wound stay open to the air for now so that it can dry and harden. Once that's done and you have a scab on there, I don't think there's anything else you can do except for it to wait.
But then again this has happened to me only once...

Good luck!
Old 07-15-09, 08:25 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nobody's mentioned "Tegaderm"!?

Read this: https://www.obra.org/wound_care.html

The guy who wrote it a local masters racer and an ER doctor. He helped me get cleaned up after a crash a few weeks ago.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 07-15-09, 08:32 AM
SwimBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
time machine
Old 07-15-09, 08:37 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I showered right after I got home, and yeah, it burned bad for the first minute or two, but after that stopped I let it keep running until it was clean and the whole area was pink from blood rushing there. I'll be doing that every night.

Duoderm? Never heard of it, but I'll go see what I can find over lunch. I don't think I've seen a Walgreen's out here, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Yeah, it could have been worse. I held my head off the ground, which I did when I went down once or twice as a kid, even though I've never been on a bike without a helmet, but it's nice to not be needing a new one right now, and not worrying about a concussion through the helmet.

I also had to take some Ibuprofen to sleep last night, since moving at all hurt. That part seems to be better now, at least.
Old 07-15-09, 08:41 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimBike
time machine
Exactly!
Old 07-15-09, 08:47 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Use what MD's use.

Clean thoroughly with povidone-iodine solution (scrub till you scream), brand name Betadine.

Then get a scrip for Silvadene cream, its the stuff MD's use for treating serious burns. Its very soothing and minimises scarring.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-15-09, 08:48 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
if it's a large patch, instead of multiple minor cuts, use a bandage to help the blood clot.
instead of removing the bandage each time you are in the shower, just keep it clean and dry it off well, then put another layer of bandage on top. if you're worried about infection, you can drop some rubbing alcohol or iodine onto the bandage.

aloe vera works well too.
Old 07-15-09, 08:50 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Use what MD's use.

Clean thoroughly with povidone-iodine solution (scrub till you scream), brand name Betadine.

Then get a scrip for Silvadene cream, its the stuff MD's use for treating serious burns. Its very soothing and minimises scarring.
it's best if you just clean out the embedded stuff and pat down the wounds with the iodine.
scrubbing only damages the skin further.
Old 07-15-09, 08:52 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
clean it well. keep it wet. wash off the wet scab tissue several times a day.
Old 07-15-09, 09:01 AM
Paniolo

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On minor rash I use tegaderm. Deep or severe rash the duoderm is excellent. In general I think it is best to keep scabs from forming by using the above. Heals faster and scars less. The advice I follow was an article in velo news by Dr Dawn Richardson ... click the link
Old 07-15-09, 09:04 AM
unbrokenchain

Bikes: Dawes Lightning, Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend who is an acupuncturist, and she poured a mix of chinese herbs on my roadrash when it was still fresh, and it burned like hell but the healing time is staggering! (crashed on friday, here it is wednesday and I'm seeing new skin!)

I wish I could tell you what herbs were in it, but I'm afraid I can't remember or pronounce them. You might an herbalist that could help you out with something similar. Good luck, pizza doesn't look so delicious when it's on your body!
Old 07-15-09, 09:12 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paniolo
On minor rash I use tegaderm. Deep or severe rash the duoderm is excellent. In general I think it is best to keep scabs from forming by using the above. Heals faster and scars less. The advice I follow was an article in velo news by Dr Dawn Richardson ... click the link
+1 If there is drainage use duoderm.
Old 07-15-09, 09:25 AM
RacerX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
tegaderm and duoderm are the best. no pain after the initial cleaning and it heals very quickly with minimal scarring.
I wish I knew about it much earlier in my racing- i would have a lot less ugly scars.
Old 07-15-09, 09:27 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

If I had a time machine, I'd be too busy milking the stock market and pulling a groundhog day on all the gorgeous girls here to ride my bike.

Fortunately, the rash isn't deep, just big; I was going quite slowly by the standards around here, and it was on concrete, so there weren't any serious protrusions to dig in. It's honestly 75% rough and swollen but not bleeding skin, and 25% shallow scrapes and punctures. Just enough to leave me out of commission tomorrow.
Old 07-15-09, 09:59 AM
hendrick81

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
lemon juice...
Old 07-15-09, 10:02 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwimBike
time machine
Or a chemical coma. Time flies when you're unconcious!
Old 07-15-09, 10:04 AM
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just remembered also... Hydrogen Peroxide. It'll burn, but it'll be clean.
Old 07-15-09, 10:06 AM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best post on this ever

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
So yesterday I went on my second ride of any serious distance and, like an idiot, tried to go faster around this one right-hand curve. Overcooked it, slid off the concrete, which led to a 2" drop, so the bike went down, I went down, I bounced, chain dropped, and I now have five patches of road rash, including one big one on my side, and a bruised hip. I was hoping to do my weekly aquathlon tomorrow, but I'm guessing that's out of the question now. Any suggestions on how to make road rash heal as fast as possible? They're currently Neosporined and open to the air.

Amusingly, this is one of the things I was deathly afraid of when I started cycling, and other than the split second of panic as I was going down, it wasn't that bad. I got up, looked at it, learned how to reseat the chain, and decided I was going for my ride anyway, since I was half a mile in.

Oh, and HEED rocks my world.
Old 07-15-09, 10:12 AM
notwist

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 tegaderm
Old 07-15-09, 10:56 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Duoderm? Never heard of it, but I'll go see what I can find over lunch. I don't think I've seen a Walgreen's out here, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
At Walgreens, ask at the pharmacy window for Duoderm. The probably have it, but not on the over-the-counter shelf. Good stuff, especially if you have a huge patch. They also have tegaderm and that's on the shelf.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter