Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy cassette question (Record vs Chorus)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campy cassette question (Record vs Chorus)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 08:49 AM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by galen_52657
don,

a 16th of a pound weight savings aint gonna win you a race old buddy....
Rotating weight is the weight that really makes a difference in competition where accelerating and climbing are most effected by weight reductions. Someone who is truly working towards the cutting edge of competition will do everything in their power within reason to cut the weight on their rig to give them every competitive edge. You want to hear about my racing rigs? Zeus alloy freewheels that cost $$$, Medaille de Or rims, alloy nipples, alloy chainring bolts, alloy BB axle bolts, ti pedal axles, ti BB axles, titanium axle hubs, on and on. Suffice to say that every ounce saved, especially rotating weight, makes a difference mentally and physically for someone who is riding at the front of the group.

My advice to those who are not riding at the front would be to get there before you worry about weight, but once you're there, trim every ounce you can and give yourself every edge you can. No 30 grams alone isn't going to win the race, but it is a piece of the puzzle.

Besides, my reply was intended to point out that race setups like races are temporary and not what you would use every day, so "temporary" is what every race day set up is.

Old 03-01-05, 09:11 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never subscriped to your theory don and somehow, managed to place in a bunch of races, win a few, collect some prize money and come home with a couple of district medals.

If you had two people of exactly the same size and conditioning, riding and uphill time trial on identical bikes except for a 16th of a pound weight difference, the rider on the lighter bike should win.

However, LA could have filled his jersey pockets with a pound of lead shot and still would have crushed the field on the Alp Duez time trial. Jan - the big man - came in second with a bike that was way over the UCI limit, destroying skinny climbers on lighters stuff.

And with local racing, its way more important to work on conserving energy in the pack and reading the race than worry about having the lightest equipment.

IMHO unless you are a pro, don't worry about having the lightest equipment. It's not only a waste of money but a waste of mental energy which could be better used on training and stratigizing. To go into a race and think or worry.....'jeeze...my bike is a pound heavier than that guys....'... it's just dumb.
Old 03-01-05, 09:22 AM
don d.

I have never subscriped to your theory don and somehow, managed to place in a bunch of races, win a few, collect some prize money and come home with a couple of district medals.

IMHO unless you are a pro, don't worry about having the lightest equipment. It's not only a waste of money but a waste of mental energy which could be better used on training and stratigizing. To go into a race and think or worry.....'jeeze...my bike is a pound heavier than that guys....'... it's just dumb.
Curious where you got this cause noone said anyone should worry about their bikes weight.

And gosh, I worked so hard to avoid negatively charged language, just post an objective opinion, and give one persons point of view with respect for others views, but you just couldn't avoid name calling and put downs of people that don't think like you, could you? Is averyone who thinks differently from you "just dumb"? You must be friends with the lorddopies and smoothies on this forum, eh? Personally, I think the need to put down others who think differently is just ignorant, but that's just my point of view.

Old 03-01-05, 09:24 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don d.
Gosh, I worked so hard to avoid negatively charged language, just post an objective opinion, and give one persons point of view with respect for others views, but you just couldn't avoid name calling and put downs of people that don't think like you, could you? You must be friends with the lorddopies and smoothies on this forum, eh? Personally, I think the need to put down others who think differently is just ignorant, but that's just my point of view.
Are you gonna cry now?
Old 03-01-05, 09:41 AM
don d.

Are you gonna cry now?
Have it your way.

Old 03-01-05, 10:04 AM
jemoryl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by don d.
Rotating weight is the weight that really makes a difference in competition where accelerating and climbing are most effected by weight reductions.....
But the rotating weight of the cassette is concentrated very close to the center of rotation so the significance in this case is not very important - lighter tires and rims are more a factor here. Anyway, I'm quite happy with my Veloce cassette and the money saved can be spent elsewhere to more effect. Another factor that has not been mentioned is that all Veloce cogs are independent so one could (in principle) make a cluster with custom ratios...

Joe
Old 03-01-05, 10:08 AM
don d.

Originally Posted by jemoryl
But the rotating weight of the cassette is concentrated very close to the center of rotation so the significance in this case is not very important - lighter tires and rims are more a factor here. Anyway, I'm quite happy with my Veloce cassette and the money saved can be spent elsewhere to more effect. Another factor that has not been mentioned is that all Veloce cogs are independent so one could (in principle) make a cluster with custom ratios...

Joe
All true. I do like the Veloce cassettes for the custom configuration capability.

Old 03-01-05, 10:11 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Joe
That's why I don't think weight of the hub matters so much. Ultra light hubs always do make wheelsets look good on paper though.

BTW, Don't the other cassettes have custom configuration capability also? I thought it was just the last two cogs in every cassette that were attached to the carrier.
Old 03-01-05, 10:12 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don,

I am sure you are riding the latest and greatest barely-UCI legal machine, and that is wonderful.

However, the forum is a good place to proffer advice from those with experience and know-how to those who want to learn.

I personally think it is ill-advised to place such an emphasis on the weight of the bicycle, rotating or not. I also think it is not in the best interest of those who may be contemplating entering competition to feel they are defeated before the start of the race just because their wheels/cassette/frame or any combination thereof is a little heavier than those whom they compete against. In the real world of head-to-head competition, the weight differences we are discussing border on meaningless.

If you take offense to my describing the emphasis with which some people obsesses about such things as 'dumb', well then please accept my humble apologies.

However, after reading some of the misinformation posted within this site, and after observing first hand the lengths at which some people will go to attempt to achieve a perceived competitive edge, 'dumb' was the first word that came to mind.

There is also the perverse-pleasure aspect of thoroughly crushing and riding away from people who think they can buy a win.
Old 03-01-05, 10:52 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway

BTW, Don't the other cassettes have custom configuration capability also? I thought it was just the last two cogs in every cassette that were attached to the carrier.
Wrong
Old 03-01-05, 10:56 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

However, after reading some of the misinformation posted within this site, and after observing first hand the lengths at which some people will go to attempt to achieve a perceived competitive edge, 'dumb' was the first word that came to mind.
You are just being charitable?
Old 03-01-05, 11:30 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Daytona (Centaur) cassettes for training and Chorus for racing. The weight saving of Record is just not worth the cost and they don't even last 1500miles.

I'll never buy another Record cassette. Chorus from now on
Old 03-01-05, 11:30 AM
don d.

Don,

I am sure you are riding the latest and greatest barely-UCI legal machine, and that is wonderful.

However, the forum is a good place to proffer advice from those with experience and know-how to those who want to learn.

I personally think it is ill-advised to place such an emphasis on the weight of the bicycle, rotating or not. I also think it is not in the best interest of those who may be contemplating entering competition to feel they are defeated before the start of the race just because their wheels/cassette/frame or any combination thereof is a little heavier than those whom they compete against. In the real world of head-to-head competition, the weight differences we are discussing border on meaningless.

If you take offense to my describing the emphasis with which some people obsesses about such things as 'dumb', well then please accept my humble apologies.

There is also the perverse-pleasure aspect of thoroughly crushing and riding away from people who think they can buy a win.
Apology accepted. And I'm sure that if you read my posts you'll realize that I am not weight obsessed nor do I encourage it. I ride a frame that weighs almost exactly what your's weighs, with 32 hole Open Pro's. Everything else is blue collar. Of course, at the moment, I'm not racing, but if I was competitive, I'd be riding a pound lighter frame with a set of wheels at least a 1/2 pound lighter because they're there. If that is obsessive so be it, but it's not dumb. It's fun.

My reply to whatever about his use of the word "temporary" has been explained above so I won't restate it. Nor will I go into your past posts about your choice of CF frames over steel. So, let's let sleeping dogs lie.

And Sydney, don't get me started on you.

Old 03-01-05, 12:03 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
If more than half the people on this forum are involved in competitive bike racing then your posts make sense.

What people are trying to tell you is that this is NOT the case. Even if it was, you wouldn't need to tell a racer he/she should get a lighter bike, they'd alerady know that.

Either way, counting grams is meaningless for the majority of us. If you want to do that - go ahead. Just don't imply that everyone should get a lighter what what because it's there.
Old 03-01-05, 12:13 PM
don d.

Originally Posted by operator
Just don't imply that everyone should get a lighter what what because it's there.
Since you can't read, I'll help you. I said, "If I was competitive, I'd be riding...".

Where is the implication that, "...everyone should get a lighter "what what"(???) because it's there? I am merely stating my opinion, what I would do.

Old 03-01-05, 02:38 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be correct.

Take your pick:

Record 10 @ $200 = 188 grams
Chorus 10 @ $129 = 220 grams
Centaur 10 @ $110 = 233 grams
Veloce 10 @ $75 = 250 grams

As far as service life, the Record will wear out first as it uses titanium cogs for the larger cogs.

The money you save between the Chorus and Veloce will buy a new chain....
Why not get the Record for races only and the veloce for everday?

Cassettes only take 2 minutes to change and if the Record cassette only lasted you 20 races it would work out to be $10 a race.

I don't see any use for the Centaur/Chorus cassettes. But if you have the money, why not?
Old 03-01-05, 02:50 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
The titanium record 13 - 26 costs $379.95 at excel sports. The titanium lockring is an additional $59.95.

The total cost would be $439.95.

The 11-23 and the 12-25 cost $329.95 plus $59.95 for the ti lockring for the 12-25. The 11-23 includes a lockring. The 11-23 cassette is supposed to weigh 156 grams. If you are going to do it might as well go all the way.
Old 03-01-05, 03:57 PM
jemoryl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let's keep the weight thing in perspective. One ml of water = 1 gram. Or for the metric challenged, 1 quart is about 2 lbs or 908 g. Buy a Veloce freewheel and visit the toilet before the race....

Joe
Old 03-01-05, 04:00 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's keep the weight thing in perspective. One ml of water = 1 gram. Or for the metric challenged, 1 quart is about 2 lbs or 908 g. Buy a Veloce freewheel and visit the toilet before the race....

Joe
If you consider the total weight of rider and bicycle you're right. I weigh 202 lbs. My bike weighs 21-22 lbs.

So an extra 1/16pound between Chorus and Veloce (record might be 1/10th pound) will hardly make a dent in a 223 lb total (by rough calculations reduction in weight amounts to only .03%). I'm better off spending the money going to the gym really.

But for a race where the margin of victory can be seconds It might be worth the investment. For everyday riding, who cares if I get home 2 seconds faster?

Last edited by 53-11_alltheway; 03-01-05 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 04:03 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always used Veloce "cassettes" - 9s Centaur and soon 10s Chorus - for two reasons:

1. Cost, as described earlier, and

2. All loose cogs, so I can make my own mix of ratios, or replace only the ones that need it.

Veloce is all steel, and in 10s does not have any two-cog carriers as the top two (three?) groups do.

Cheers...Gary
Old 03-02-05, 07:00 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
The titanium record 13 - 26 costs $379.95 at excel sports. The titanium lockring is an additional $59.95.

The total cost would be $439.95.

The 11-23 and the 12-25 cost $329.95 plus $59.95 for the ti lockring for the 12-25. The 11-23 includes a lockring. The 11-23 cassette is supposed to weigh 156 grams. If you are going to do it might as well go all the way.

You are getting ripped.

Try Glory...

https://www.glorycycles.com/rectiscas10s.html
Old 03-02-05, 07:21 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

How am I getting ripped? That isn't even the same cassette. When comparing price compare apples to apples not apples to oranges.

Cambria sells the ti-steel for $219. The full ti cassette is $329.95.

Personally I don't think either is worth the price. Just do your research before you tell someone they are getting ripped off. After all aren't you the one talking about all of the misinformation posted on this site?

Last edited by LowCel; 03-02-05 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 08:06 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did not state all ti or ti/steel. Next time be more specific.

Additionally, the all ti cassette would wear out even sooner than the ti/steel cassette, making the cost/benefit ratio even less appealing.
Old 03-02-05, 08:15 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

How did I not state it? I said:

The titanium record 13 - 26 costs $379.95 at excel sports.
I don't see how I could be more specific.
Old 03-02-05, 08:19 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you had posted a link to the specific product, then everybody would have known you were refering to the ALL ti cassette.

Since both cassettes employ titanium cogs, there could be confusion as to which cassette you were talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.