Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Question about my new Brooks

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 04:22 PM
jubal117

Bikes: 2009 Raleigh Sojourn, 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0, 1989 Miyata 914, 1996 Trek Mountaintrak 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a Raleigh Sojourn yesterday, and I have been on 3 30+ mile rides. It came with a Brooks pre aged B-17. I have tried a large variety of saddles on my other bike, and I can't seem to find one that suits me. On those 3 rides the Brooks has felt the best of any saddle I have ridden this year. It wasn't completely comfortable, but I didn't have any numbness in the usual areas and it didn't hurt bad. My question is, will it become even more comfortable with more use and care? If it will then I am going to order another one right now for my other bike. I have just always been hesitant to spend 120 bucks on a seat I wasn't going to like.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions on the Brooks.
Old 09-04-09, 04:46 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Honestly, if you're not totally comfortable on it I wouldn't drop the coin on another one for your other bikes. There's this misconception that a Brooks saddle will be uncomfortable, but over time you'll break it in and it will be the best thing ever... assuming you can tolerate those first few hundred miles of torture.
It's just not true, especially of the B-17 and the aged leather saddles. If it's not comfortable right out of the box, keep searching for the saddle which fits you properly.

Yes, they do get more comfortable with use... if they're comfortable to begin with. But you're never going to turn an ass-hatchet into a barcalounger just by sufferring on it for 300 miles.
Old 09-04-09, 05:01 PM
jubal117

Bikes: 2009 Raleigh Sojourn, 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0, 1989 Miyata 914, 1996 Trek Mountaintrak 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. It is still the most comfortable saddle I have been on for a while, and maybe ever, but I will wait until I get the bike back tomorrow from the shop and take some more rides to make a decision. I am having the handlebar stem changed and getting the small ring changed from a 30T to 26T. I could not make it up my last hill with 2 cases of beer in my trailer. It felt like I needed more of a granny gear.
Old 09-04-09, 05:03 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Yes, they just get better and better and then you forget they are there. But that's just my experience over the past 37 years. When I bought a TREK in '85 I let my Brooks go with the other bike, because selle san marco was the latest greatest thing, since then I have tried four other "latest greatest" designs and a few years ago went back to what works: Brooks. There are some other good leather saddles out there now and I may try a Velo Orange ($85) on a bike I am building, but I won't buy anything but leather.
Old 09-04-09, 05:37 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Clifton's comments but will add that you'll want to try adjusting the saddle position (with any saddle) before giving up on it. This means tilt (some like the nose slightly up) & forward-back position & height.

For me, my Brooks "broke in" once I was riding regularly & built up some leg & core strength. This took some weight off my butt + my sit bones became acclimated to riding. The saddle does not feel any softer nor does it have any more 'give' then when I purchased it.
Old 09-04-09, 06:46 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Jubal, I think you are a guy so this might not help but I got a Terry Butterfly something with a little bit of gel and it is a great saddle. Just keep trying!! And, give your used saddles to the local bike collective!!
Old 09-05-09, 03:33 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have the Brooks Flyer Pre-aged. Mine was nice out the box and is slowly getting better with more riding. You may have to play with things such as fore/aft position, height, and tilt but you might find something that makes it better.

Also CliftonGK1 is right about not turning an "ass-hatchet into a barcalounger." Just make small adjustments to see if it helps.
Old 09-05-09, 04:13 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Of the "small adjustments" idea; ain't that the truth! I actually had to switch seatposts to adjust mine properly. When I started out with it on my Kalloy microadjust it was great. Then, as the saddle started to form and break-in, I was getting a little bit of discomfort on rides over 100 miles. (I know, not a typical problem most people need to worry about, but it was for me.) I tried lowering the nose of the saddle by just one notch on the post's adjustment and it was too far forward; back to where it was, and it was too far back. Grrr.

I switched to a 2-bolt seatpost and was able to dial it in perfectly.
Old 09-05-09, 09:45 PM
jubal117

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for the advice. Today I went on a 20 and then later a 30 miler and it was not as comfortable. That could be due to the different handlebar angle and maybe I did not put my seat back to where it was. I am now experiencing knee pain as well. I guess I will ride my other bike till my knee feels better then I will try and sort the adjustments out.
Old 09-06-09, 06:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by jubal117
Thanks again for the advice. Today I went on a 20 and then later a 30 miler and it was not as comfortable. That could be due to the different handlebar angle and maybe I did not put my seat back to where it was. I am now experiencing knee pain as well. I guess I will ride my other bike till my knee feels better then I will try and sort the adjustments out.
Jubal, saddles have a lot of adjustments. Height, angle, side-side angle, front/back position.

Knee pain, most often in the front of your knee, is usually associated, and often relieved, by raising the saddle. Here we need to be sure to raise it about 2 millimeters, between 1/16 and 1/8 inch, at a time. If you start to rock on the saddle and get abrasion, it's too high, and lower it 1/16 inch. Typically as it goes up, so does your power, so there's a sweet spot where you have good strength and good-feeling knees.

Most people recommend setting the tilt nose just a little up (this is not easy to see), but I like them level or just a bit down. I suggest starting with level.

Ask the bike shop to help you get this all set up. It's post purchase, so it might cost a bit.

You started out liking it, and I think you said you moved the saddle. Once you get it back where it was, I think you'll like it again. It WILL improve from there. The saddles become more supple. Not softer. Plus your body adjusts to the feeling of the saddle and learns to find the sweet spots, where your rear is comfortable.
Old 09-06-09, 11:04 AM
jubal117

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was out this morning a bit fiddling with the adjustments some more, I moved the saddle back a bit and raised it a little to try and get the similar height as my other bike. I think it is close, but now it is hard to tell because my knee is still pretty sore. I wish my other bikes saddle was more comfortable so I could just ride that, but it gets pretty bad 45 minutes to an hour into a ride. The Brooks is more comfortable than the other one, but I am still not sold on it yet.

I am trying to find a shop around here to get them both fitted to me, but the 3 I have talked to in my area weren't much help. The LBS I bought it at is good for most things, but helping me set my bikes up to fit me better isn't one of them. I will keep tinkering with it today, since there isn't much else for me to do today.