Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

First on-road flat this morning - few questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 08:26 AM
jargoone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All-

Recently purchased a Jamis Aurora for commuting, replacing my old mountain bike. This morning I ran over a cotter pin on the multi-use path. I'd changed flats on the MTB before, but not on the road, so this was an adventure. I had all the equipment, just no experience. I changed it successfully, though not efficiently, so I have a few questions.

1. What's the easiest way to position a bike with drop bars to take the back wheel off? I could just flip the MTB over, but not this one, without damaging my brifters. I would up sort of holding it up by hand, which was very awkward.

2. What's the proper way to disengage the cable from cantilever brakes (Tektro Oryx)? I had a pair of pliers in my bag and was able to grab the "nut" at the end of the cable and yank it out. Seems there must be a better way.

3. My spare tube (given to me by the LBS) is a 28, and the tire is a 32. I'm guessing it doesn't matter. Am I wrong?

4. Is it ok to use the tire lever to get the tire back on the rim? Buddy of mine says no, and I've pinched a tube on MTB doing it that way. He showed me how to get the MTB tire back on by hand, but I couldn't manage it with this one. I used the lever carefully and it was fine for the rest of the ride.

Sorry for the basic questions but I need to know for next time. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-09-09, 08:40 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
The tektro oryx should have one end of the straddle cable that is easily removable. Squeeze the pads against the rim to put slack in the cable and remove it by hand. Some brifters have a QR release built in to make this easier.

Last edited by jsharr; 09-09-09 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 08:49 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jargoone
Hi All-

1. What's the easiest way to position a bike with drop bars to take the back wheel off? I could just flip the MTB over, but not this one, without damaging my brifters. I would up sort of holding it up by hand, which was very awkward.
I am not sure what you are asking here. How does flipping your bike over damage the brifters? Mine, like I assume everyone elses, rests on the brifter hoods when it is upside down. That shouldn't cause any damage at all, as long as you don't drag the bike around on them.
Old 09-09-09, 09:13 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
1. I just flip mine over and it rests on the brifters. No big deal.

2. Just squeeze the pads to the rims and remove cable.

3. 28 tube will work fine with 32c tires

4. If you are careful not to pinch the rim, sure you can use the tire lever. I find the if I work slowly from each side, I can always get the tire back on by hand which reduces the chances of pinching the tube.
Old 09-09-09, 09:24 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12927 Post(s)
Liked 7,842 Times in 4,166 Posts
Like they've said, a flipped bike should sustain only a little bit of inconsequential cosmetic damage to the brifters, but a little practice and yanking a rear wheel out Tour de France style is pretty easy. Shift to smallest cog, undo brake, undo QR, grip saddle or top tube with your left hand, then slide the wheel out, giving it a little, hard-to-describe flick to get it clear of the bottom run of chain.

Your tube size is fine.

I agree with your friend in that you should avoid the use of levers for mounting tires. Try making sure the bead that's already on is nestled down into the deepest part of the rim. Just keep working the tire on, as you do the last bit will warm up and become more pliable, especially with wire bead tires. For the last little bit, I usually have the bead I'm trying to get on facing away from me and use a wringing motion with both hands simultaneously twisting the tire towards me. Wring it towards you a few times and it should pop on.
Old 09-09-09, 09:32 AM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The cycle computer, if any, is the thing to think about when you flip your bike upside down for a trail-side repair....
Old 09-09-09, 09:47 AM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All-

Recently purchased a Jamis Aurora for commuting, replacing my old mountain bike. This morning I ran over a cotter pin on the multi-use path. I'd changed flats on the MTB before, but not on the road, so this was an adventure. I had all the equipment, just no experience. I changed it successfully, though not efficiently, so I have a few questions.

2. What's the proper way to disengage the cable from cantilever brakes (Tektro Oryx)? I had a pair of pliers in my bag and was able to grab the "nut" at the end of the cable and yank it out. Seems there must be a better way.

3. My spare tube (given to me by the LBS) is a 28, and the tire is a 32. I'm guessing it doesn't matter. Am I wrong?

4. Is it ok to use the tire lever to get the tire back on the rim? Buddy of mine says no, and I've pinched a tube on MTB doing it that way. He showed me how to get the MTB tire back on by hand, but I couldn't manage it with this one. I used the lever carefully and it was fine for the rest of the ride.

Sorry for the basic questions but I need to know for next time. Thanks for any help!
1. I find a tree or something to lean against. I then loosen the back Quick Release and lift up on the seat and remove. Or, you can take off your gloves, vest, etc and protect the brifters for the flip.

2. dunno

3. Depends. The tubes come with a range of sizes. for example 700X19-26 or 700X28-32. As long as your tire is in range, you are fine.

4. Generally no. However, it is better to get the tire back on the rim than not. You shouldn't use levers, but if that's the only way you can get the tire back on, it is better than walking home.
Old 09-09-09, 12:50 PM
jargoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. Recapping:

1. Apparently my brifters are not as delicate as I thought they are.

2. I tried to remove the cable by squeezing, but there wasn't enough slack. I'll consult LBS for this.

3. My tube was I believe 700x26-28. I'm going on a fairly long ride this weekend, so will have LBS replace it with a proper tube if they think I should.

4. I tried with everything I had to get the tire back on by hand, but was frustrated and irritated by that point, so I did what I had to do to get to work.

Thanks again, and hopefully I won't need this knowledge again for a while.
Old 09-09-09, 01:20 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked 2,238 Times in 1,117 Posts
2. Your cable is really tight if you canot remove. Sometimes there is a release in the cable system to allow more slack.

3. Rubber does stretch. But if not in the range, get the right size.

4. Practice changing instead of paying the LBS to do it. Sometimes the first installation is the hardest, subsequent changes may be easier. The key to not using levers, is starting with the bead in the rim opposite the valve and making sure the bead is in the center of the rim to maximize the ability to get the bead over the rim by the valve. Work your way around both sides toward the valve with the valve area the last place to pop the bead over. Why oppisite the valve? Because you can't get the bead down in the rim with the valve in the way unless you push the valve in. Trust me, it's just easier. The reality is that if you can avoid pinching the inner tube with the lever, you will be fine. To do this, inflate the tube ever so slightly. Not so much that you cannot get the bead in the center of the rim when starting. This approach will keep the tube from getting between the bead and the rim or between the lever and the bead/rim.
Old 09-09-09, 01:32 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I always use tire tools to install my tires, it's the only way for me. A lot of care is needed to not damage the tube, but the same is true if no tools are used. I find that forcing some air into the tube using my mouth and lungs helps a lot to keep the tube where it belongs and to avoid damage.

Your bicycle needs to be upright, wheels on the ground with full weight on the bike when you close the skewer. The axle needs to be fully seated in the dropouts.

Al

Last edited by Al1943; 09-09-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 02:02 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

3. My tube was I believe 700x26-28. I'm going on a fairly long ride this weekend, so will have LBS replace it with a proper tube if they think I should.

Thanks again, and hopefully I won't need this knowledge again for a while.
Don't worry, I'm running standard road tubes (18-25) in my 35mm tires without any issue. Have been for years, never had a problem.
Old 09-09-09, 02:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 968 Posts
I rest the bike on the its side on grass to remove the wheels.

If you are careful, there's no reason not to use levers to get the tire back on if you need to. I've never punctured a tube doing this.
Old 09-09-09, 06:11 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0502
The cycle computer, if any, is the thing to think about when you flip your bike upside down for a trail-side repair....
And perhaps your Brooks saddle.
Old 09-11-09, 08:35 AM
paisan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what I do

Front wheel flat, remove the wheel and set the bike down on the fork dropouts.
Rear wheel flat, find a place to lean the bike(only the bars need to be resting against something) and set the chain stays on my helmet.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1858.jpg (96.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-11-09, 09:38 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
4. Sometimes you have to use levers. But when you do, use just enough motion to get the bead in, then stop. Don't just jam the lever up to push the bead in.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html