Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ambulance trying to drum up business?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 01:43 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Cannondale R700, Custom Cannondale Fixed, Research Dynamic Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding into the office this morning on a small street with no traffic except me and this approaching ambulance. The ambulance blasted his siren for a second right as he passed me. Scared the crap out of me and I almost ate it as I clipped along at about 18 mph. Do they not pick up enough of us that they have to startle us into wrecks?
Old 09-09-09, 03:00 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
This is where earbuds and loud music could've made your trip safer. Always, always wear your headphones!
Old 09-09-09, 03:12 PM
gerald_g 

Bikes: Trek 1220 - Araya R200 - Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a train engineer that likes to do that to me it seems. Sneaks up alongside with the train, and then BLASSST!!! lets the train horn go. Maybe their together in this scheme?
Old 09-09-09, 03:15 PM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it was just me and an ambulance approaching me in traffic I expect I'd have sufficient attention focused on it so as not to be startled by its siren. You need to figure this thing out before you pass a skunk on the road.
Old 09-09-09, 03:15 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerald_g
There's a train engineer that likes to do that to me it seems. Sneaks up alongside with the train, and then BLASSST!!! lets the train horn go. Maybe their together in this scheme?
I feel your pain.... but I don't see how a train can sneak up on you.

Think I'm gonna get an Airzound.
Old 09-09-09, 03:36 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilmooz
If it was just me and an ambulance approaching me in traffic I expect I'd have sufficient attention focused on it so as not to be startled by its siren. You need to figure this thing out before you pass a skunk on the road.
Been commuting for over 15 years now. When someone honks at me or blows their horn at me unprovoked or for no other reason than to be a jackass, it still startles me.
Old 09-09-09, 03:56 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
If it's a 2-lane road I believe vehicles are supposed to pull over and stop to allow the ambulance to pass.

Cars would have rear-view mirrors and could see the ambulance approaching. A bicycle is also a vehicle so you should still pull over and stop but the ambulance driver is assuming you don't have a mirror and don't know it's an ambulance and not just a regular car.
Old 09-09-09, 03:59 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nkfrench
If it's a 2-lane road I believe vehicles are supposed to pull over and stop to allow the ambulance to pass.

Cars would have rear-view mirrors and could see the ambulance approaching. A bicycle is also a vehicle so you should still pull over and stop but the ambulance driver is assuming you don't have a mirror and don't know it's an ambulance and not just a regular car.
If he had turned his siren on because he was responding to an emergency, then there wouldn't be an issue. My problem is that he turned it on then off right as he passed me. He was on the opposite side of the road.
Old 09-09-09, 04:25 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
You are supposed to pull over and stop unless a physical median in the middle of the road.
Old 09-09-09, 04:32 PM
Skivvy9r

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
You are supposed to pull over and stop unless a physical median in the middle of the road.
Only if the ambulance is responding to an emergency, ie lights/siren. OP says that was not the case. Pay attention!
Old 09-09-09, 04:38 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I had a cop flip on lights and siren just as he was passing me on a homeward bound commute earlier this year. Yeah, it can be quite startling.
Old 09-09-09, 04:42 PM
jdom

Bikes: 08 LHT and 13 giant defy 2 composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the lights are not on then they are just another vehicle with no special privallages.You do not pull over for an ambulance if there lights are not on.I'm not sure why people blow there horns or in this case there siren,I don't think that most of these people know that it sometimes really startles a cyclist and can be dangerous in some situations.I think alot of times they are trying to be friendly and acknowledge that you are there,but being inside there vehicle they just don't inderstand how loud horns actually are.

When I was living in Florida and working as an electrician I did a job at an air force base on the runway lighting.Sometimes when we were working and had our attention on the job a jet would do a flyby for us and scare the poop out of us.The flight tower would call us to ask how we liked it,they were trying to be nice and give us a small air show,but they didn't know just how much they can scare you when you don't know they are coming.

Of course there are people who do it just to be "funny" also.
Old 09-09-09, 04:49 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
The op said nothing about lights if they were on or off, only that the siren blasted. Round here emergency vehicles w/light on blast sirens at intersection approaches or if other drivers are not responding to lights.
Old 09-09-09, 05:05 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skivvy9r
Only if the ambulance is responding to an emergency, ie lights/siren. OP says that was not the case. Pay attention!

The ambulance was on the opposite side of the road and was heading towards me. He flipped the siren on and off right as he passed me. No lights, no emergency. I'm sure it was directed at me because when I looked at him he had a $h!t eatin grin and was lookin at me.
Old 09-09-09, 06:18 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I got a cop in trouble for using their siren just to harass me.
Old 09-09-09, 06:40 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I thought it was illegal for emergency vehicles to use thier sirens or lights if they are not responding to an emergency?

I remember reading many years ago about an emergency vehicle that got into an accident. At first either the pedestrian or vehicle they struck were cited for failure to yield. However upon further investigation it was discovered the emergency vehicle was using its lights and sirens to blast through intersections to bring food back to the station.
Old 09-09-09, 07:07 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is illegal. As an ambulance driver, I can tell you that blipping your siren like that is enough to land you on suspension if it's your first offense or worse if it's your second. If it was a county/town/otherwise public ambulance, you can look for a marking on the side that indicates the station of origin and a number that indicates the unit number. Then I would suggest calling the station and reporting the offender. They know who was driving the unit when. Same goes for a private ambulance company. Plenty of AHs drive ambulances, but most of them are not expecting someone to lodge a complaint.
Old 09-09-09, 07:16 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nanter
It is illegal. As an ambulance driver, I can tell you that blipping your siren like that is enough to land you on suspension if it's your first offense or worse if it's your second. If it was a county/town/otherwise public ambulance, you can look for a marking on the side that indicates the station of origin and a number that indicates the unit number. Then I would suggest calling the station and reporting the offender. They know who was driving the unit when. Same goes for a private ambulance company. Plenty of AHs drive ambulances, but most of them are not expecting someone to lodge a complaint.
Thanks Nanter. Its refreshing to know that ambulance companies are responsible enough to not tolerate such irresponsible behavior from thier drivers. Wish I would have been quick enough to gather the info you suggested.
Old 09-09-09, 07:21 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks nanter. I don't think I would want one of them to be suspended or fired (unless it was an ongoing issue), I'd rather it cease.
Old 09-09-09, 07:35 PM
jubal117

Bikes: 2009 Raleigh Sojourn, 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0, 1989 Miyata 914, 1996 Trek Mountaintrak 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had that happen to me this morning. A schoolbus, I believe my daughters, was behind me. I knew it was there and was staying over as far as I safely could while climbing a steep hill. We were almost at the top and I could tell it was pretty close then the driver laid on his horn and went past me. Startled me quite a bit and as I was going slowly already I lost control a little. The funny thing was I then almost kept pace with it until I turned off.

I got to work and called the school and the superintendent, who is a family friend. I don't feel there is any call for what he did. The horn blowing still startles me after 6 or 7 years of commuting.
Old 09-09-09, 08:50 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
I had a cop flip on lights and siren just as he was passing me on a homeward bound commute earlier this year. Yeah, it can be quite startling.
Originally Posted by jubal117
. . .The horn blowing still startles me after 6 or 7 years of commuting.
Yeah, it’s tough enough to keep your mind on the usual commuting obstacles let alone be prepared for some a$$h0le intentionally trying to throw a wrench in our commute. Wish we were more like ilmooz and be prepared for every situation at every moment of our ride.
Guess we better manup and develop nerves of steel so we can be prepared for that errant skunk….. jackass
Old 09-09-09, 09:10 PM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrRamonG
I feel your pain.... but I don't see how a train can sneak up on you.
I feel your pain.... but I don't see how an ambulance can sneak up on you.... especially when you already know it's there.
Old 09-09-09, 09:21 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain.... but I don't see how an ambulance can sneak up on you.... especially when you already know it's there.
Well played.... Until next time!!
Old 09-10-09, 06:39 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrRamonG
Guess we better manup and develop nerves of steel so we can be prepared for that errant skunk….. jackass
Wow, take it easy, dude. Just call the ambulance company and deal with it, don't drag everybody else into your vendetta and be calling them names when they don't want a part of it.
Old 09-10-09, 08:45 AM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Wow, take it easy, dude. Just call the ambulance company and deal with it, don't drag everybody else into your vendetta and be calling them names when they don't want a part of it.
Oh Lil Bat.... How I missed your unorganized comments. Once again you have acted without reading the thread. I was calling ilmooz a jackass for suggesting that we should be prepared for all situations at every moment of our commute. He clearly wanted a part of it when he made that ridiculous comment. But I called him a jackass with the friendliest and most fraternal typing I could muster. He responded in kind and I reviewed my stance and conceded some ground.

Also, as I told Nanter, had you read, I couldn’t gather pertinent info off the ambulance quick enough.

But thanks for shopping, please come again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.