Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ever choose your bike over your friends?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 02:31 PM
viros20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im not talking about not hanging out because you planned to ride in the morning. My situations a little different. In my case me and my two close friends from highschool have been talking about a Euro trip for years. Earlier this year it finally became serious, but when they told me they want to go for 3 weeks it became a problem. That would be all my vacation time, last year about 75% of my vacation time was cycling related and I planned on doing the same this year. I told them the most I could do is about a week.

Last month they told me they are going for a month without me but if I wanted to join them in Spain for a week. I didnt have the funds availble at the time, so I told them I couldnt afford it right now. Shortly after that my job starts giving me lots of overtime so I took advantage and I purchased a set of Mavic Ksyrium premium SLs. Im feeling guilty since I realized I probably could of afforded the trip to spain and could of made it happen with some effort.

Somehow I feel like I made a big mistake not doing this trip. We're still relatively young at 28 & none of us have been to europe so I keep feeling I'll regret not going years from now.

Anyone else think im taking cycling to serious and should of waited on the wheelset?

please dont tell me I overpaid and should of had some wheels hand built for alot less, I made my decision months ago and was set on the mavics.
Old 09-28-09, 02:36 PM
blamire

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you probably will regret it. quick, sell your wheels and go man, you can always save up for some more when you get back
Old 09-28-09, 02:38 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Depends on your priorities. The road and your bike is ging to be there when you come back. Trips of this nature (depending on your income and inclination) does not happen too often. The fun and memories of going on a trip with your friends are priceless. You need to take a step back and which you prefer...memories of the trip or memories of your bike ride in your new Mavics?
Old 09-28-09, 02:40 PM
hrt4me

Bikes: Cervelo P2, Scott S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Europe will always be there, and you'll enjoy it more when you're older, can slow down and relax and take in more sights and have more funds to spend.
Old 09-28-09, 02:41 PM
mayukawa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can always ride while in Europe.
Old 09-28-09, 02:42 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, all the time. Without hesitation.

I would choose the bike over most any people/person except my family. Friends come and go, bike and family are forever.
Old 09-28-09, 02:44 PM
ch3n207

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have went to europe and brought my bike with me.
Old 09-28-09, 02:46 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by viros20
Im not talking about not hanging out because you planned to ride in the morning. My situations a little different. In my case me and my two close friends from highschool have been talking about a Euro trip for years. Earlier this year it finally became serious, but when they told me they want to go for 3 weeks it became a problem. That would be all my vacation time, last year about 75% of my vacation time was cycling related and I planned on doing the same this year. I told them the most I could do is about a week.

Last month they told me they are going for a month without me but if I wanted to join them in Spain for a week. I didnt have the funds availble at the time, so I told them I couldnt afford it right now. Shortly after that my job starts giving me lots of overtime so I took advantage and I purchased a set of Mavic Ksyrium premium SLs. Im feeling guilty since I realized I probably could of afforded the trip to spain and could of made it happen with some effort.

Somehow I feel like I made a big mistake not doing this trip. We're still relatively young at 28 & none of us have been to europe so I keep feeling I'll regret not going years from now.

Anyone else think im taking cycling to serious and should of waited on the wheelset?

please dont tell me I overpaid and should of had some wheels hand built for alot less, I made my decision months ago and was set on the mavics.
Go with your friends.

UD
Old 09-28-09, 02:47 PM
hopsing08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would have got the wheels, but Ive been just about everywhere from being in the military. Dont worry about missing out on it. Spain is still there, its not going anywhere. im sure if you save you can go later. remember you choose your priorities. if you really want to go to Europe cut out all the excess stuff you spend money on and save for it.
Old 09-28-09, 02:47 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my two close friends are not cyclist. If they were I would of loved to take the bike to europe. Its what I think of most when going there. They were planning to party and sight-see.
Old 09-28-09, 03:01 PM
fitn217
2 Wheelin

Bikes: 10 Caad9 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You most likely never have this opportunity with your friends again.
You're 28 and as you get older you'll never have the time for this again....with wife and kids and all.
You can ride your bike the rest of your life.
GO NOW!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-09, 03:14 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hrt4me
Europe will always be there, and you'll enjoy it more when you're older, can slow down and relax and take in more sights and have more funds to spend.
you must be old. Travel now, wheels don't matter NEARLY enough to cancel a real bit of traveling
Old 09-28-09, 03:30 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by viros20

Last month they told me they are going for a month without me but if I wanted to join them in Spain for a week. I didnt have the funds availble at the time, so I told them I couldnt afford it right now. Shortly after that my job starts giving me lots of overtime so I took advantage and I purchased a set of Mavic Ksyrium premium SLs. Im feeling guilty since I realized I probably could of HAVE afforded the trip to spain and could of HAVE made it happen with some effort.

Old 09-28-09, 03:33 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
travels abroad, with close friends, will always trump bike gear.
Old 09-28-09, 04:14 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never turn down opportunities like this. You'll get enough come tax time to get new wheels. Go to Europe! That memory will last a lifetime. How long will those wheels last?
Old 09-28-09, 04:25 PM
PluperfectArson
沒有腳踏車的居民

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like others have said, take your bicycle with you!
Old 09-28-09, 04:26 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have never been off this continent. Obviously, my choice would be to go to Europe with friends.
Someday after I dig myself out of debt.
Old 09-28-09, 04:26 PM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I probably would go to Europe, that could be a once in a lifetime trip, soon you may all be married, etc. and getting together to travel would be hard. The only thing I regret in life is not taking some time to travel around the world when I was fresh out of college, that and not starting racing when I was younger.
Old 09-28-09, 04:43 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Friends? What friends?
Oh you mean my bikes! (Wait, what was the question again?)

You should go into debt or do whatever you have to do to spend two weeks in Europe with your friends. You'll go through a bunch of wheels in your cycling career, and you have the rest of your life to be responsible (especially after you've got kids--blech!), but opportunities like this are dear. Screw the high interest and consequences: GO! Book it now before the dollar becomes the American Peso like it was last year when I went to Benelux & London:

Old 09-28-09, 07:00 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
I still get together 1-2x per year with 3 other guys I graduated from HS with 40 years ago. 3 of the 4 wives graduated from the same HS. Keep your friends.
Old 09-29-09, 01:01 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
My answer would definitely be different if it was "buy a bike (only bike) vs go to europe", but for a "once in a lifetime trip" vs "a higher end wheelset"...I would go to Europe. Memories and friends last a while, your wheelset provides a slight improvement and could be totalled in a crash.
Old 09-29-09, 01:09 PM
velocanuck
Older, but not 'senior'

Bikes: Marinoni Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keep the wheels, work more OT and go to Spain.
Old 09-29-09, 01:55 PM
calRider

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're making a huge mistake, sell the wheels and go with your friends...a trip like that should be EPIC! You'll never forget it.
Old 09-29-09, 02:01 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the trip. Those big trips only happen a once or twice in a lifetime unless you got a plethora of cheddar.
I'm 44 and last year FINALLY got to Europe for three weeks in Rome and Paris with the wife/kids/inlaws, timed to the finish of the Tour.
I'll never forget my trip, and want more. Europe with good buds sounds like an experience that you'll never forget.

Last edited by TRaffic Jammer; 09-29-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 02:10 PM
surfengine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what are these "freinds" that you speak of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.