Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 01:22 PM
phering

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad (My personal favorite), Batavus Sport, Raleigh sport, Miyata 1000, old school Giant hybrid, several vintage transient projects, and a Raleigh Mixte for my FWB's. ;^)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Evicted the Mouse from her house.

They told me I was crazy (true), but I couldn't resist her.

Last edited by phering; 10-04-09 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Add image
Old 10-04-09, 06:13 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I haven't posted much in awhile so here are two finds all cleaned up and ready for a new owner:

Old 10-04-09, 07:45 PM
drummer5

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Team Record, 1979 Motobecane Mirage, 1985 Gitane Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My uber-score

Old 10-04-09, 09:59 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
I found something strange today. I've actualy never seen this kind of bike before. A kid's 3 speed mountain bike. it's also in pretty good condition.

I found a weird one like that a while back. Well, like that but with a RD, and chrome fenders!?,,,,BD
Old 10-05-09, 03:58 AM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My latest catch. Specialized Rockhopper. Don't know year yet. ( Anyone know how to tell the year made? ) Spent all day cleaning up, I will need new chain, change saddle, maybe new tires and clean up more rust and pitting.

Old 10-05-09, 05:30 AM
dcreek8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I'm new to the forum; my mother-in-law asked me to do a little research on a bike she's owned for quite awhile. My husband just restored it for her and it rides terrific. It was made by B C America, a company out of Bethlehem, PA, and was probably made in the 1980's (?).

It's 20" and is a fold up; it has no gears, and Bendix hub brakes. We don't know the model, or really anything else about it. She bought it at a sale years ago.

Does anyone have any info. on this company? Or a bike like this? We think they were bought out by Ross Co. later.

Thanks in advance! dcreek8
Old 10-05-09, 06:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
dcreek8, I think it's a long shot that we'll know anything about it, but the only chance is if you can post a few pictures of it. Take a picture of the complete bike from the right side (the side with the chain). Also take some close up pictures of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-05-09, 06:06 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
and in it's own thread also please.
Old 10-05-09, 07:38 AM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dcreek8
Hi! I'm new to the forum; my mother-in-law asked me to do a little research on a bike she's owned for quite awhile. My husband just restored it for her and it rides terrific. It was made by B C America, a company out of Bethlehem, PA, and was probably made in the 1980's (?).

It's 20" and is a fold up; it has no gears, and Bendix hub brakes. We don't know the model, or really anything else about it. She bought it at a sale years ago.

Does anyone have any info. on this company? Or a bike like this? We think they were bought out by Ross Co. later.

Thanks in advance! dcreek8
Post the photos in the Folding Bikes sub-forum as well.
Old 10-05-09, 08:42 PM
doggy

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Roubaix elite, 2009 Specialized Allez, 1993 Marin Limited edition, Giant Allegre, 1999 Cannondale T700, Bianchi campione del monde, 1993 Trek 2300

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont know if i should be posting Mountain bikes here, but here we go
Today on craigslist i found this Bianchi MTB. I paid $40 CAD for it. Frame says 'Meta', 'All terrain bike', 'Tubi Trafilati Special' and 'Made in Italy'

Purchased this bike for some winter riding. What you guys think?
Old 10-06-09, 08:36 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I totally believe you on the harder-to-sell and worth-less-than-road-bikes points. I'll take your word for it.

I'm pretty much just getting started in this endeavor and can use all the help I can get.

You're saying 7 speed triggers can be fixed? No way! My LBS said they're too complicated, so I took their word for it and replaced a pair. I also bought an extra pair, with integrated brake levers, and I keep them around, new, in the box, for an anticipated need. Maybe I wasted my money, but what the heck. So what should I know about fixing them?!
They can be revived but only with diligent soaking in citrus cleaner and lubed and massaged with silicone spray lubricants. Usually they are just gummed, not worn or broken. In my experience. tom
Old 10-06-09, 10:58 AM
javaride
retro-rider/mech

Bikes: 1983 Zullo road bike, 1994 Trek mtb, late 90's Trek road bike, 1977 Schwinn LeTour III, and my latest project, a 70's something "Suncrest" road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1954 Schwinn Spitfire

Wow!! I couldn't believe this find! A 1954 Scwinn Spitfire! Appears to be all original except for the saddle. It was sitting outside my sister-in-laws garage and she just wanted to get rid of it?? Hopefully, after a little research and some extensive TLC I'll be able to keep it as a jewel, or flip it for another project. What do y'all think?
Old 10-06-09, 02:41 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a recent save of mine....a 1981(ish) Motobecane Grand Touring

It was literally a shed save (from a family member). I set it up with all original running gear (except the chain + tires/tubes & a few loose bearings) as an urban utility bike of sorts...with, I hope, some taste. Pardon the loud water bottles, I took those pics right before taking it out on a rather long urban twilight/evening ride...and the GPS migrates from bike to bike (it had a Huret odometer that ran off the front hub mounted to the fork). I'll need to get the 'before' pics up here.
Old 10-06-09, 04:02 PM
BOBSONATOR
Klaus Pierre-Action Star

Bikes: 86' Samurai Shogun

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drummer5
My uber-score

moar pics?
Old 10-06-09, 04:18 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You're saying 7 speed triggers can be fixed? No way! My LBS said they're too complicated, so I took their word for it and replaced a pair. I also bought an extra pair, with integrated brake levers, and I keep them around, new, in the box, for an anticipated need. Maybe I wasted my money, but what the heck. So what should I know about fixing them?!
Yes, way.

I've had a 100% success rate getting trigger shifters functioning again.

What happens is this - the little spring loaded pawl gets gummed up as the old grease hardens, and stops engaging the ratchet teeth. So, when you shift up and put the shift cable under load, the pawl doesn't catch and keep it from shifting back down.

What you do is this - remover the shifter from the bike, and remove the cover (usually one Phillips screw in the middle). Work the levers and look for the "stuck open" pawl. Hose it with WD-40 and work it back and forth with a small screwdriver or dental pic.

When the old grease gets dissolved and comes out, the spring will snap the pawl back in place and you're done. Visually check for function and re-assemble. It's easy to do, and you'll never have to scrounge trigger shifter pods again.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-06-09, 04:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Thank you, bigbossman. Why do you think the manager at the bike shop said they can't be fixed? He knew he wasn't going to get a sale out of me, because he knows what kind of customer I am.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-09, 05:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Most bike shops are parts replacers not parts repairers.

Old 10-06-09, 05:57 PM
ottothecow

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That also is not a very bikeshop like fix...similar to the standard shop reaction to dead STI brifters.

Spraying them up with solvent/lube can make them work again if they are just stuck but they are not easy to fully dissasemble and replacement parts are not available so the shop would rather not spend time fiddling with something that *might* work.
Old 10-06-09, 06:06 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
A couple of thrift store finds today........World Sport is somewhat disproportioned with a 63cm seat tube and a 57cm top tube....................and a GT Timberline that should clean up nice.
Old 10-06-09, 06:16 PM
DRietz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thank you for saying most, because the shop I interned at over the summer would definitely at least try to repair it.
Old 10-06-09, 06:52 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
- Univega Viva Touring frame + the wheel set with new Continental tires & Suntour freewheel- $35
- Parts (Sugino Crank, Sakae Bars, Cyclone DR's) from a scrapped Miyata 710 that I got for - Free !
- Plastic mountain bike pedals - Free
- Alloy rack - $1

( Plus new bar tape, cables, hsgs, ss mounting screws, and bottle holder.)

PS- I gave up looking for brake hoods for less than $40.

Old 10-06-09, 07:09 PM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice snag.

Hoods. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C4TRF2
Old 10-06-09, 08:10 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Thanks yellowjeep.
Old 10-06-09, 08:38 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Originally Posted by ottothecow
That also is not a very bikeshop like fix...similar to the standard shop reaction to dead STI brifters.

Spraying them up with solvent/lube can make them work again if they are just stuck but they are not easy to fully dissasemble and replacement parts are not available so the shop would rather not spend time fiddling with something that *might* work.
Originally Posted by DRietz
Thank you for saying most, because the shop I interned at over the summer would definitely at least try to repair it.
All these are good points, however, if a lbs were to charge actual time for doing such repairs than one would be better off purchasing new shifters anyway.

We charge a standard of $10 to do almost anything when it comes to adjustments and replacements. We will atempt to revive shifters and straighten derailuers etc and should charge more according to the time spent, but in most cases that we deal with being lowend big box store bikes we often find ourselves in the position of telling someone that they need a new shifter.

That being said, if you are a tinkerer, as many of us are, then please carefully disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble.

Sorry, I have no finds and am not allowed to look too intently for any, since getting a new bike on time.
Old 10-06-09, 08:59 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
My latest catch. Specialized Rockhopper. Don't know year yet. ( Anyone know how to tell the year made? ) Spent all day cleaning up, I will need new chain, change saddle, maybe new tires and clean up more rust and pitting.

1995-1997, I'd guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.