Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

S3X in Vegas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 08:02 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Cool. I'm awaiting one for my Raleigh Twenty. This is something I've been waiting for a looong time now!!!
Old 10-10-09, 05:08 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
i'm trying to get my hands on a sample prototype before production. it think it should be 120mm spaced like the AW hub. (someone please confirm if you know.)
I've been told by a distributor that there will be 120s and 130s. Different axles, not just spacers on the same, long axle.
Old 10-10-09, 05:14 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by augustao
It does. The drivetrain is more efficient in direct drive because there's no friction loss from the planetary gears.
I've been riding various SA hubs for years and while my brain knows that direct is the most efficient, my legs can't feel any difference. I'll be gearing mine so that 2nd is the same as my SS, leaving 3rd as a downhill gear. It's been 32 years since I last owned a fixed gear bike so I'm not going to spinning 150+ rpm down the hills. My S3X will be going into a 1976 Paramount track bike.
Old 10-10-09, 05:38 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by MIN
it's the sturmey archer acs in a modern incarnation.
I think that's a real stretch because it's construction, ratios and target market are so different.

The ACS was a very close ratio hub aimed at the experienced club road racer and time trialer. Construction, based on the racing FC 4 speed, was complex and not overly robust.

The S3X is a wide ratio hub aimed at the current fixie crowd which grew up watching X-games. And old geezers like me who aren't willing to shell out $500 for the real thing. Construction, based on the newest utilitarian wide ratio 5 speed, should be simple and pretty tough. (At least under "normal" use.) The ratios would be pretty useless to today's roadies, who are used to corn cob 10 speed cassettes.

I can't wait to tear into one. But I'm sure it will be more similar to an FW/S5 converted to 3 speed fixed than to an ACS.
Old 10-10-09, 09:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MnHPVA Guy
I've been riding various SA hubs for years and while my brain knows that direct is the most efficient, my legs can't feel any difference. I'll be gearing mine so that 2nd is the same as my SS, leaving 3rd as a downhill gear. It's been 32 years since I last owned a fixed gear bike so I'm not going to spinning 150+ rpm down the hills. My S3X will be going into a 1976 Paramount track bike.
That would make the most sense to me too.
Old 10-10-09, 10:25 PM
robertkat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The ratios would be pretty useless to today's roadies, who are used to corn cob 10 speed cassettes.
While it may not have the ratio spread, a lot of us roadies also know the value of having only a few gears. I'm putting one of these hubs on my FG brevet bike. That should make those 300k's a bit less painful.
Old 10-11-09, 12:06 AM
augustao

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably wouldn't feel any difference, but it would be better for my neurosis if the gear I spent most of the time in were the most mechanically efficient one.
Old 10-11-09, 06:02 AM
Blakey
\m/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The hub has been available in Australia for months now, AUD$349 including shifter & sprocket from Greenspeed:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...35#post9582335
Old 10-11-09, 06:44 AM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The 120 is good for folder bikes. The 130 on virtually every other bike in existence that has horizontal or track dropouts.
Old 10-11-09, 07:59 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
About time.
Old 10-11-09, 08:08 AM
bikesdirect_com

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cy Trivialities
i think i read somewhere about it being 3 months away from market.
Our factory now says Kilo S3X and S3X pro wheelset will ship Oct 15th
If they do - they will be in Nov 15th or so

I hope this is correct

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 10-11-09, 08:28 AM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by robertkat
While it may not have the ratio spread, a lot of us roadies also know the value of having only a few gears. I'm putting one of these hubs on my FG brevet bike. That should make those 300k's a bit less painful.
If you are doing FG brevets you are hardly a typical roadie.
Old 10-11-09, 08:56 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you are doing FG brevets you are hardly a typical roadie.
+1, there really is nothing typical about that

and while I am excited for the s3x, I'm kinda pissed, I had to wait so long I managed to total the frame it was destined for.
Old 10-11-09, 09:16 AM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by NormanF
The 120 is good for folder bikes. The 130 on virtually every other bike in existence that has horizontal or track dropouts.
Track bikes are 120 and it wasn't that long ago that 110mm was common. Most FG and SS conversions of road bikes around here use older steel frames with horizontal dropouts that are spaced 120 or 126. It may come as a shock to younger riders, but 130 is a relatively recent standard.

BTW My folder is 135 while my track frame and my SS are 120.