Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fake easton ec90 slx carbon forks??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 01:54 PM
td.tony

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"This fork is the real thing, beware of actual fake EC90 forks on ebay."
https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-REAL-2009-EA...ht_4087wt_1165

Probably just their marketing strategy, but still has me a little worried. Has anyone heard of fake versions of this specific fork being sold on ebay? I'm thinking of buying one new for $170 from someone who bought it on ebay, also for $170.
Old 10-12-09, 01:55 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh gawd thats what we need around here.....fake mission critical parts.
Old 10-12-09, 02:01 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Actual fakes? So we have actual fakes and fake fakes? Wouldn't that be an actual part? Ahem.
Old 10-12-09, 02:06 PM
Namenda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've heard, in the past, of fake or "rejected" Ouzo forks being sold on ebay. Don't know if its true. I bought an Ouzo off ebay, and its been great for the past 3 years. Haven't heard about fake Easton's, though. I imagine it would come down to, if the deals seems too good to be true, it likely is.
Old 10-12-09, 02:15 PM
wirelessness

Bikes: Open Cycles WI.DE.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks ligit to me. That seller has a massively good rep. If it was some dude with 10 feedbacks shipping from China then I'd wonder.
Old 10-12-09, 10:30 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
I've heard, in the past, of fake or "rejected" Ouzo forks being sold on ebay. Don't know if its true. I bought an Ouzo off ebay, and its been great for the past 3 years. Haven't heard about fake Easton's, though. I imagine it would come down to, if the deals seems too good to be true, it likely is.
There is almost always recalled bike stuff for sale on scambay. There must have been 20 sets of R-sys wheels for sale after the recall. Not one seller pulled them. Buyer beware.

Fake would be counterfeit and one can only hope a company such as Easton would try to protect their brand by getting fake stuff removed, but who knows.
Old 10-12-09, 10:51 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wirelessness
Looks ligit to me. That seller has a massively good rep. If it was some dude with 10 feedbacks shipping from China then I'd wonder.
I just spent more time than it deserved trying to ascertain the country of origin for easton forks. I can't see "Made in USA" anywhere, and I have a new EC90 superlite with a Made in China paper sticker on it.

If it is a counterfeit it is a good one...
Old 10-12-09, 11:28 PM
weavers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
i bet that guy just took a hammer to an old bent steel fork and then spray painted it with a flat black paint. proof its not even on a digital scale. they could of atleast photoshoped a fake weight. that or some guy had fun with a plastic mold and made that in his fire place then found a box in the trash bin of his lbs. classic scam.
Old 10-12-09, 11:52 PM
liquefied

Bikes: 1989 Team Miyata, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1986 Miyata 610, 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
There is almost always recalled bike stuff for sale on scambay. There must have been 20 sets of R-sys wheels for sale after the recall. Not one seller pulled them. Buyer beware.
Usually with recalls you don't have to show receipt or show any proof that you're the original owner so it doesn't really matter if people are selling recalled stuff second hand. Just buy it then send it in for a new set.
Old 10-13-09, 08:42 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by td.tony
"This fork is the real thing, beware of actual fake EC90 forks on ebay."
https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-REAL-2009-EA...ht_4087wt_1165

Probably just their marketing strategy, but still has me a little worried. Has anyone heard of fake versions of this specific fork being sold on ebay? I'm thinking of buying one new for $170 from someone who bought it on ebay, also for $170.
I know the person selling it for $170. I trust him to know what hes doing.
Old 10-13-09, 08:53 AM
exhibitx
Balls

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Val23708
I know the person selling it for $170. I trust him to know what hes doing.
Ask him what he means by fakes, that is the real question. Are there a lot of them, or was it a few isolated issues, is there a way to identify them? etc

He's saying there's fake EC90 forks on ebay, but for those worried about their safety, more information would be nice.
Old 10-13-09, 09:07 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liquefied
Usually with recalls you don't have to show receipt or show any proof that you're the original owner so it doesn't really matter if people are selling recalled stuff second hand. Just buy it then send it in for a new set.
Guess I needed to be more clear. The recalled R-sys wheels were for sale new from storefronts,etc. not used as you imply. I think it does matter and if the seller knows such(used or new) should put the info in the listing.
Old 10-13-09, 09:18 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exhibitx
Ask him what he means by fakes, that is the real question. Are there a lot of them, or was it a few isolated issues, is there a way to identify them? etc

He's saying there's fake EC90 forks on ebay, but for those worried about their safety, more information would be nice.
I believe that ebay listing and the person offering it for $170 are different people. If the person who is offering it for $170 is who im thinking of, the fork isn't actually new, its used (steerer cut).

I know there were real cases of counterfeit Richey WCS forks on ebay but I haven't heard of counterfiet EC90 SLX forks before.

Last edited by Val23708; 10-13-09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 11:16 AM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fakes in some things mean the Chinese factory had the night shift do what they did in the day for the contracting mfr, now without authorization. They have everything they need to make a "the real thing" materials and construction wise, but sell it cheap, sans mfr markup AND sans warranty.
Old 10-13-09, 11:31 AM
Dilberto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I bought the EC-90SLX and RETURNED THEM after finding no OEM instructions, compression cap/sleeve and original box...plus, it was heavier than stated(330g uncut).

I have to admit- the imposter was very close to the real deal. But Easton includes EVERYTHING(OEM instructions, proprietary compression sleeve/cap and even recessed front brake bolt) with their product.

Having no such thing as copyright laws in China and their uncanny ability to visually reproduce virtually everything has made them notorious for being all IMITATION....and no INNOVATION(no SLUR intended!!!).
Old 10-13-09, 12:08 PM
td.tony

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val23708
I believe that ebay listing and the person offering it for $170 are different people. If the person who is offering it for $170 is who im thinking of, the fork isn't actually new, its used (steerer cut).

I know there were real cases of counterfeit Richey WCS forks on ebay but I haven't heard of counterfiet EC90 SLX forks before.
Cool thanks for the info!
Old 10-13-09, 12:25 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 677 Posts
FYI, I had an actual SLX fork (with box, compression cap, instructions, etc), and it weighed 331 grams.

Easton is not exactly honest about that.
Old 10-13-09, 12:31 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
FYI, I had an actual SLX fork (with box, compression cap, instructions, etc), and it weighed 331 grams.

Easton is not exactly honest about that.
so its looks like you moved out of Dearborn there El-J ?
Old 10-13-09, 01:24 PM
bigtea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know why you would want to purchase such a critical part on ebay. I got my EC90SL forks from Performance on sale using my Team Performance card. I think it came out to $285 delivered with tax. After you pay for shipping you're probably saving only $100 for something without warranty.

Fork failure is right up there with stem and handle bar failure in the cycling "Hall of Horrors".
Old 10-13-09, 02:09 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
Fakes in some things mean the Chinese factory had the night shift do what they did in the day for the contracting mfr, now without authorization. They have everything they need to make a "the real thing" materials and construction wise, but sell it cheap, sans mfr markup AND sans warranty.
And also sans quality control...
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 10-13-09, 02:26 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtea
Fork failure is right up there with stem and handle bar failure in the cycling "Hall of Horrors".
Yeah, that whole steering thing is pretty important.