Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

High-end bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

High-end bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 12:31 PM
DARTHVADER
the darkness

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
More pics of the Davidson! I'm in Seattle and had a road frame built by Bill back in 2003 - their attention to detail is phenomenal, and the ride is spot-on, too. Legendary since 1972...
yeah i wanted a bike that would do lots of things well and bill nailed the geometry and fit. excellent frame and fork, he did it in a very reasonable timeframe too.

Last edited by DARTHVADER; 10-18-09 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 05:38 PM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Currently stripped to frame and fork and work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010494.JPG (91.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-18-09, 05:46 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 99 Posts

Let me wipe away a little drool here...
Old 10-19-09, 05:42 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
1980 Bianchi Super Corsa (with Pt. Pinos Lighthouse in the background, from today)

stan

Old 10-19-09, 05:52 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 2,744 Times in 1,275 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
My bikes are not worthy of this thread, but I love them just the same.
Go for it DD, you've got some nice ones.
Old 10-19-09, 05:57 PM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeeze Louise,

Now me, I really am just in love with those metallic charcoal Austro Daimlers'...
Old 10-19-09, 07:13 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe not the most high end in comparison to a Rensho, but my Super Strada was possibly the best offering from Univega: lugged frame/triple butted tubes with chromed stays, Full Dura Ace 7400 groupset, Atax bars, etc. I have changed a lot of things to suit my personal taste/fit:

Old 10-19-09, 07:29 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 1,104 Posts
Here's my three. The dates are for the frames - none of the componentry is period-correct. So sue me.

1993 Fuso - Built by Russ Denny very shoretly after taking over Dave Moulton's operation. Combination of Columbus SLX and SPX.

1982-ish Ron Cooper. Don't know what the tubing is. From Ron Cooper, I don't much care.

1967 Paramount. Reynolds 531, natch.

Old 10-20-09, 12:00 AM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mills
So, now that we have four full pages of posts of "high end bikes", please tell me what defines a "high end bike"?
I'll take a novice stab at this: Yes, the simple answer is that they are the bikes that most of us can't afford, but I'm beginning to think that there was a golden era of road racing bikes that set the standard in people's minds of the best combination of function and form. For this thread, think Ferrari and Porsche, & others, iconic for their proven history of speed & quality, but also their beauty. Some road bikes of the 70's & 80's seem to have hit the sweet spot for the combination of the best technology available at the time which has translated to a certain beauty of the form. For example, I never was attracted to the color Bianchi "celeste" until I began to understand the heritage of hand-made frames and top-of-the-line components. Now, "celeste" has a whole new meaning to me. It's like your Granddads old Meerschaum pipe, it may have looked funny and stank at the time, but you may think that it's was pretty "high-end" today. OK, I'm destroying this explanation. Would somebody help me out here?
Old 10-20-09, 09:22 AM
Sharkish

Bikes: 1986 LOOK-Hinault 753, 1984 Speialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1991 Trek 400, 90's Trek 7000, 2005 Giant Trance 4, 2005 GT IDXC 4.0, misc. unfinished vintage frames / bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a picture of my current project and ride............ very odd paint job, but actually a LOOK 753, La Vie Claire model that was professionally repainted with the "tongue in cheek" reference top the old LVC paint underneath. It appears that a pump peg and additional water bottle cage mounts were added at the time it was repainted. I'm still researching the history of the bike and keep crossing off dead end tips......... still waiting to run across that "big break". I am currently running a Shimano 9 speed cassette with campy rear derailleur and campy Victory friction shifters......... Fulcrum wheel-set. Hopefully I'll have it back the the correct 1986 campy group at some time, but for now it is a speed rocket and my favorite of all my "old bikes".

Last edited by Sharkish; 10-20-09 at 09:24 AM. Reason: better picture!
Old 10-20-09, 09:41 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mills
See, that's why I asked for someone to define a "high end bike". What makes a bike, "high end"?
Well, Mike, no Varsities or Contenientials or Sears bikes. I'm talking Paramounts, Cioccs, Cinelli's, etc. I want to see Reynolds 531 and Columbus, no gaspipe. Eye candy.

High end bikes are definitely handmade.

Lugged would be fantastic.

High-quality tubing.

High-end componetry is great. (Not Simplex Prestiege or Falcon, okay?)

Other people seem to think that riding a bike every day, like that tandem, makes it high end.

Umm... Not what I'm going for here.

That doesn't mean its not a great bike! My bikes definitely aren't high end. And they're not posted here. I love them, I ride them a minimum of 20 miles every weekday, rain, shine, thunderstorms, EVERY DAY. But you know, high end. The bikes all of C&V usually drools over.

If that came off snarky, I apologise. This thread is pretty much all snob appeal.

Like I said, I have no reason to post my bikes in this thread, it's ok.

-Nick
Old 10-20-09, 10:31 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since banjo mole defined "high-end" in this thread I´m in for an over-kill, but high-end in my meaning must be bikes built in its days to attract high-end buyer, which means made to be raced in a professional or semi-pro way. But high-end means "can afford it" aswell...
Old 10-20-09, 10:38 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by javal
since banjo mole defined "high-end" in this thread I´m in for an over-kill, but high-end in my meaning must be bikes built in its days to attract high-end buyer, which means made to be raced in a professional or semi-pro way. But high-end means "can afford it" aswell...
High end means either the first 2 pages of a catalog or the last 2 depending on how it was arranged......
High end is Shimano Dura Ace or 600
High end is Campy Record (Nuovo, Super or C) and whater was 1 level below (chorus? athena?)
High end is Columbus SL, SP, SLX, TSX but NOT Tenax
High end is Reynolds 531 and 501 if its lugged

High is NOT a bike most of you/us cant afford.
Old 10-20-09, 10:51 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by redxj
And, 86' Peloton that I don't own anymore:
Are you still in contact with the person who bought this Peloton? I've been looking for YEARS to find one of these in my size. I just bought one on Ebay and the seller mistated the measurements.
Old 10-20-09, 12:43 PM
shrinkboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I'll take a novice stab at this: Yes, the simple answer is that they are the bikes that most of us can't afford, but I'm beginning to think that there was a golden era of road racing bikes that set the standard in people's minds of the best combination of function and form. For this thread, think Ferrari and Porsche, & others, iconic for their proven history of speed & quality, but also their beauty. Some road bikes of the 70's & 80's seem to have hit the sweet spot for the combination of the best technology available at the time which has translated to a certain beauty of the form. For example, I never was attracted to the color Bianchi "celeste" until I began to understand the heritage of hand-made frames and top-of-the-line components. Now, "celeste" has a whole new meaning to me. It's like your Granddads old Meerschaum pipe, it may have looked funny and stank at the time, but you may think that it's was pretty "high-end" today. OK, I'm destroying this explanation. Would somebody help me out here?
yeah, in late 70s, early 80s, the standard race kit was an all campy group set on a ciocc/colnago/guerciotti/masi/grandis frame, with 36 hole high flange hubs on mavic tubulars. the kinda stuff that makes people tumescent nowadays. we treated 'em like the race tools they were, and only later did we recognize that we were at the high point of paradigm that is now gone, and therefore glamorous, collectible, oooh and aaahh-able. i would love to have some version of the all campy italian steel i raced on back then...
Old 10-20-09, 12:59 PM
shrinkboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
yeah, in late 70s, early 80s, the standard race kit was an all campy group set on a ciocc/colnago/guerciotti/masi/grandis frame, with 36 hole high flange hubs on mavic tubulars. the kinda stuff that makes people tumescent nowadays. we treated 'em like the race tools they were, and only later did we recognize that we were at the high point of paradigm that is now gone, and therefore glamorous, collectible, oooh and aaahh-able. i would love to have some version of the all campy italian steel i raced on back then...
Old 10-20-09, 01:20 PM
kpeezy
BIIIIIIIKES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about Marinoni? I'm not sure what people think of them. I have an interesting looking one with celeste rear stays/headtube with a white body. Columbus SLX tubing. Really great looking. Should I finally take some pictures of it?
Old 10-20-09, 01:30 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
High end means either the first 2 pages of a catalog or the last 2 depending on how it was arranged......
High end is Shimano Dura Ace or 600
High end is Campy Record (Nuovo, Super or C) and whater was 1 level below (chorus? athena?)
High end is Columbus SL, SP, SLX, TSX but NOT Tenax
High end is Reynolds 531 and 501 if its lugged

High is NOT a bike most of you/us cant afford.
Can we add Suntour Superbe to that?

Scott
Old 10-20-09, 01:33 PM
DARTHVADER
the darkness

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shrinkboy
and only later did we recognize that we were at the high point of paradigm that is now gone
there are still plenty of builders that will build you a classic looking (KOF) sorta frame fork. only it will be nicer than anything from ciocc, colnago, merckx, guerc, marinoni, grandis or whatever other bikes were handbuilt in factories during that era.
one huge reason is simply because there is a crapload of really nice IC lugs available from shen, e-richie and pacenti...
the era is not over, and as an added bonus, you can have the frame built specifically for your purposes and you can choose what lugs you want, the paint, the braze-ons, the fork crown, sometimes the tubing, so on and so forth. you'll have to pay though...and thats what i consider "high-end".

Last edited by DARTHVADER; 10-20-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 01:47 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
+1 Darthvader. I am on two waiting lists for custom bikes, and when they get close, out goes everything but the DeRosas.
Old 10-20-09, 01:48 PM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
These are my two high end bicycles.
A 2007 Nagasawa with a complete C-Record group, Campagnolo saddle and bottle and Shimano Dura Ace handbar and stem.

And a 1992 Duell, with a mix of Record and Croce D´Aune. Duell is a small Dutch builder.

Old 10-20-09, 02:41 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
My Paramounts, lined up on an overcast morning. Front to back: 1991 Waterford, 1971 P 13 Chrome, 1972 P 15 Chrome with updated drivetrain, 1973 P 15 Opaque Blue.

1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 10-20-09, 03:12 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
This is the one that more or less started it all - 1980 Swiss Mondia, 531 Reynolds:

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-20-09, 06:50 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
+1 Darthvader. I am on two waiting lists for custom bikes, and when they get close, out goes everything but the DeRosas.
Well; when you do get your custom bikes, I'll be a good Samaritan and help you clean out that garage. Especially help you get rid of that ugly lime green one
Old 10-20-09, 07:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 99 Posts

Love the Cooper... these bikes were never pictured in a catalogue, made to the highest standards imaginable, and every one of them is a one of a kind.

Here's mine... my guess it is a seventies model frame and fork.

And I think that at some point...this middle of the road bike has become a high end bike due to the sheer rarity of the model and the parts hanging off her.

My 1957 PLx8 Grande... "Edith"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.